back to article Zuck on The Social Network: Nobody wants to watch my REAL life for 2 hrs straight

Mark Zuckerberg has once again trashed David Fincher's candid portrayal of the Facebook co-founder's life in his 2010 film The Social Network. The 30-year-old, free content ad network boydroid accused the filmmakers of embellishing his time at Harvard University, when quizzed about the movie during the company's first, heavily …

1. i like crisps
    Trollface

ANY DAY NOW MARK IS GOING TO BECOME A CULT

A real CULT....anytime soon now.

1. Cliff

Re: ANY DAY NOW MARK IS GOING TO BECOME A CULT

Yes, people have been saying something VERY similar for a while, I think... ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As my friends who work at Facebook like to say, "The way you tell that Mark is BSing, is that his lips are moving."

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Any day?"

Does he not already have a website with countless uses dependant on it's services and feed them what ever he (or those in control) wish to tell?

You know it's a cult when people insist you must get it for how it will improve your life, yet cannot point out any benefits over anything else, like walking the dog or using email.

1. i like crisps
        Thumb Up

Now that's how you do cynical boys and girls...have an upvote:)

2. Fido L Dido

Really?

See how he slips in the word "kinda" in this next passage:

I think you're seeing things that just aren't there. Isn't this just how he speaks as opposed to some sort of subtle hint that it's 'kinda true'?

Of course we could read sentences like:

- 30-year-old free content ad network boydroid

- Earlier in the chat, the billionaire

- the copper-haired, be-hooded one

and draw conclusions as to the author's personal opinion of Zuckerberg and Facebook, or we could just say "meh, maybe that's just his writing style".

3. Cliff

Cinema alone

Going to the cinema is essentially a solo experience, unless you ignore the film to concentrate on fing^H^H^H^H cuddling your date. Watching TV can be a social activity as you can have a beer and interact. Cinema you east stale popcorn and can't chat.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Cinema alone

Always take fresh popcorn, Cliff. Always.

And does Zuck resemble Cameron more and more?

2. JonP

"Cinema you east stale popcorn and can't chat."

sadly you're right about the popcorn, but not about the "can't chat" bit, or play with your phone with the distractingly bright screen, or sit near me and eat tantalisingly tasty smelling* hot food...

"And does Zuck resemble Cameron more and more?"

Cameron Diaz?! I don't know what you're drinking, but I don't want any if that's the effect it has! ;-)

*I know, I know - but it always smells sooo good...

1. Champ

> sadly you're right about the popcorn, but not about the "can't chat" bit, or play with your

> phone with the distractingly bright screen, or sit near me and eat tantalisingly tasty

> smelling* hot food...

Which is why we should support the Wittertainment Code of Conduct:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/films/code_of_conduct.pdf

4. disgruntled yank

Oh?

i. I don't know what you mean by "candid portrayal". Somebody who had worked with Zuckerberg might offer a candid account, i.e. one going beyond the PR. Somebody without direct knowledge might give an accurate account, but why call it candid? For that matter, given the movie's representation of what programming is all about, why assume that it is accurate?

ii. "Kinda"? If he said "like, you know" would you construe that as a subtle advertisement to hop on Facebook and like something?

iii. "Boydroid"? As you remark, he is 30. From my present age that looks pretty young, but not at all boyish.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh?

You really are disgruntled aren't you?

i. Buck up.

ii. Take a deep breath.

iii. Have an upvote.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'They kinda made up a bunch of stuff that i found hurtful'

Oh yeah, just wait till we're finished with you.......and by the way the Winklevoss twins have got much more to complain about than you Marky......honestly 'ME, ME, ME' all the bleeding time!

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Re: 'They kinda made up a bunch of stuff that i found hurtful'

the Winklevoss twins have got much more to complain about

The only thing these freaksleechesgood citizens wanting to spread the wealth of the 1% can complain about is not enough no-win no-fee lawyers

6. phil dude
    IT Angle

its a movie...

None of the characters portrayed are like this in real life, because if they were it wouldn't be a movie!!!!

I quite liked this movie - I like the slightly "socially awkward" portrayal of MZ, and the Winklevoss clones were spectacularly well portrayed as effortless superiority taken too seriously.

And JT as the Napster guy....really had that charming DelBoy (though less pirate) about him...

I was in San Fran recently and went to one of "those" parties - the optimism to change the world really is in the air...

So yeah, I think MZ can complain. But y'know, really shouldn't....

P.

7. David Kelly 2

Since when has Hollywood got anything right?

8. M Gale

Had they not had the app, the copper-haired, be-hooded one said he might have ended up in the cinema alone.

Uhm.

What's that app running on again?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Zuck....

just piss off, please

10. Bernard

This isn't really news.

I believe Zuckerberg that lots of this was made up. Real life doesn't make a good movie and Sorkin loves making highly watchable but utterly implausible narratives.

I also believe that the reality includes some similarly sharp practices. Getting to the top takes a single-mindedness that sometimes screws people over and there are always losers both legitimate and sore in success stories of this scale.

That being said, whatever my impression of him and his product, I do admire his nerve. Turning down $12bn from Google must have been one of a large number of such offers at ever more eye-watering valuations. Almost all of us would have sold out sooner and for less and been delighted to be a millionaire/multi-millionaire/billionaire (delete depending on which offer you'd have taken) playboy without the stress of managing a dot-com bubble mega-brand.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'The 30 year old content free ad network boydroid'

Fixed that for you.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like