back to article Modern Panic V: A world of H.R. Giger, spunking unicorns and deeply unsettling puppets

The last invite to pop into my inbox was for a night playing the new Pokémon trading card game Pokémon TCG: XY – Phantom Forces, so imagine my surprise to find a summons for something as highbrow as the new Guerrilla Zoo exhibition. My previous forays into performance art were during the early '90s, born from an obsession with …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Unhappy

immediately recognisable from Ridley Scott's sci-fi film Prometheus

I don't even know what to say anymore.

"Beam me up scotty, this planet is full of ADHD!" ... maybe.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not quite wrong

Technically the author is correct. Probably she has never seen any of the movies and just googled for it after seeing those resin copies of H.R. Giger designs. It's what I'd do. Don't assume people know much about a subject just cause they mention it fluently. Google makes us all look like savants. Too bad we ain't.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Not quite wrong

I'll throw my hat in the ring of What? What is wrong with the article? Obviously I'm not a Giger habitual fan or whatever, but soon as I saw that I thought of Ridley's film.

Also, I've always have heard rants about Giger's creativity, but where did he get his personal inspiration from to create such things? Here's some personal truth from me. In the past, before I knew Giger was the artist of many things, a lot of Giger's things reminded me of old Catholic or Pagan ruins that were weaved in tree vines. Truthfully, for some reason I always see some organic tree vine type of thing in his work.

1. Notas Badoff

I've spent whole flights stuck in the back of a jet between the tail-mounted engines reexperiencing Koyaanisqatsi - something about the sync/de-sync between them - enough to wonder whether the composer had been traveling quite a bit before inspiration. But then I've always had Glass in my ears. I think they call it 'tinnitus'.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

>I'll throw my hat in the ring of What? What is wrong with the article?

I believe Destroy All Monsters was making a point about the Giger sculptures being based on his work for Scott's 1979 film Alien, and not Scott's 2012 film Prometheus. The newer film does contain 'Space Jockeys', and alien spacecraft of the same design, but the jockeys aren't in the seat as shown, and the alien craft isn't 'Derelict'. Whilst Alien is generally considered to be a very good film, Prometheus was not liked by everybody - to put it kindly. Indeed, some fans of the 1979 film consider Prometheus to be dreadful.

Giger had been working on an adaptation of Herbert's 'Dune' before 'Alien', as had Chris Foss (famous for the airbrushed cover art of many an Asimov paperback, and for the black and white illustrations to The Joy of Sex) and Dan O'Bannon. After that project collapsed, the three of them worked on Alien.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alejandro_Jodorowsky#Dune_and_Tusk_.281975.E2.80.931980.29

> Obviously I'm not a Giger habitual fan

Friendly note - if you research him further, the images may be NSFW.

1. Vociferous

> some fans of the 1979 film consider Prometheus to be dreadful.

*raises hand*

The first two Alien movies are fantastic, then the franchise derailed badly with Aliens3 (which was based on the story of Snow White and the 7 Dwarves.... yes, really), went completely off the track and hit a chemical industry producing chlorine gas with Alien: Resurrection, careened through a series of unfortunate kindergartens with pap like Alien vs Predator and astonishingly shitty video games... then, just as everything seemed lost, with Prometheus the original train driver, Ridley Scott, got control of the train -- only to crash it into a museum of low-brow contemporary art for the borderline retarded.

But the downward trajectory for the franchise has been so clear that it's pointless to complain. Yahtzee put it best: "What gets me is the Alien fans that have been declaring this the "final betrayal". Have you seen literally anything Alien-related post Aliens the film? Your sweetums has been putting it about for decades guys, the betrayal ship has sailed, circumnavigated the globe, and returned to port laden with exotic spice."

2. king of foo

I'm not looking/sounding quite so weird now...

I don't get this "art" thing. I can appreciate pretty things, and not so pretty things, but some of this shit is just beyond me.

This, coming from someone who proudly sported a purple Mohawk in his "youth" and has read and watched far too many things.

One of the first things I ever read as a child always springs immediately to mind whenever I see/hear/read this kind of thing; Hans Christian Anderson's The Emperor's New Clothes...

1. king of foo

Re: I'm not looking/sounding quite so weird now...

My word of the week is "thing"

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

My word of the week is 'invitation'.

Invite is part of the verb not a noun ....

Not only do we have to suffer from new words being bornized we have to put up with 'invite' and 'functionality' ....

If you cannot tell the difference between a verb and a noun then stay away from functional analysis .. or any analysis for that matter ...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I don't get this "art" thing."

Amen, brother. 'Art' is now, and always has been, a "thing." Actually viewing the 'art' is only a small part of the experience. The venue, the 'space,' the other cognoscenti, the price tags, all these are important too.

3. Vociferous

Really? Looked cool to me.

Art is about emotion. The quality of a work of art is judged by how strong emotions it evokes, and e.g. that madman who made real-life combat robots sure was exhilarating. Yes, there's a lot of junk, but remember: 80% of everything is sh!t.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where are these spunking unicorns then ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon