back to article We must SMASH the Democratic Deadlock with MINDFUL EVIDENCE

“They fuck you up, your Mum and Dad,” the great Poet Laureate Sir John Betjeman once wrote. Harshly, I think. My own father, the late financier and diplomat Gilbert Xavier de Bong, who died designing the Richard M Nixon Presidential Library, bequeathed me many gifts. Not least of which is a deep moral purpose in life. “If it …

1. John Styles

Rand Rand Rand

Surely your child should be named Rand Rand Rand Rand after

Ayn Rand

The Rand corporation

The Remington Rand typewriter (or creator of the Univac computer if you prefer).

The Krugerrand - not as good as bitcoins, I know.

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Rand Rand Rand

Hmm, add a little J. Paul Getty, a touch of enthusiasm, and you can get:

Rand Rand Getty Rand Ja! Krugerrand.

1. P. Lee

Re: Rand Rand Rand

>Rand Rand Getty Rand Ja! Krugerrand.

I get yer Rand

2. John Styles

Rand

Also, I thoroughly recommend the book 'It usually begins with Ayn Rand' by Jerome Tuccille. Although most of it is about the minutiae of libertarian infighting, the bits about Ayn Rand at the beginning are worth the cost of the book.

Or do a search for 'ayn rand rational dancer' on Google Books and the whole chapter seems to come up.

1. clanger9

Re: Rand

Excellent stuff, thanks for the pointer. A very neat skewering of the utter loopiness at the heart on the Rayndian cult. For example:

"Cigarettes were pro-life and pro-man since they were manufactured by productive capitalists for human enjoyment"

It's scary how many people still appear to sympathise with this junk.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It is, always, worthwhile to remember that the Randian cult forwards Rand's "independent", "libertarian", "no altruistic" and "pro laissez-faire capitalist" beliefs...while Rand herself accepted [American] Welfare support payments in the end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayn_Rand#Later_years

Yes, it IS amazing how many people still appear to sympathise with this junk. Why? Because it is easy for egotists to believe that, being the center of attention, that they can and will get what they want simply through the "power" of their will. The perfect Rand symbolism.

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: Rand

I once read something which described Atlas Shrugged as Ayn Rand's overlong personal sexual fantasy about powerful businessmen. Sounded about right.

1. Cliff

Turbo summary of Ayn Rand and her devotees on John Oliver's HBO show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8m8cQI4DgM (3'30")

Longer on Adam Curtiss's 'All watched over by machines of loving grace' http://vimeo.com/27393748 - absolutely worth a watch (1h this episode, there are more)

2. Kepler
        Facepalm

Re: Rand and Cigarettes

Apropos of what Clanger9 wrote above, here are two amusing anecdotes concerning Rand and cigarettes:

(1) In the early years of her group, everyone smoked. Reason and rationality required it! "Fire in the hand is fire in the mind!", they were fond of saying. So if you didn't smoke, you were anti-reason, anti-life, anti-mind, anti-man, etc.

But then the Surgeon General's Report came out, and Rand got wise to the dangers of lung cancer. She finally decided cigarette smoking is bad after all, and it suddenly became rational not to smoke. Somehow the requirements of reason and rationality changed over time!

(2) Back when smoking was still required, a young man who attended one of her gatherings (I've never been told who) pulled out his pack of cigarettes to light one up. Someone gently tugged at the sleeve of his jacket and said to him in a low voice, so as not to draw too much attention from others, "Miss Rand smokes Tareytons." The implication was clear: Reason dictated not only that one smoke, but that one smoke one particular brand!

The degree to which a group of people ostensibly devoted to reason and rationality could embrace argument by appeal to authority was staggering.

1. Kepler
          Boffin

Re: Rand and Cigarettes — boring, pointy-headed postscript

P.S. I think it only fair to add that we find these stories amusing precisely because the people in them are acting contrary to principles that they do in fact hold dear, and that at times (but not others!) they articulate quite well. Such silliness at a gathering of flaky mystics (say, Gurdjieff-followers, or Theosophists) wouldn't surprise or amuse us nearly so much. And the principles are not invalidated by their adherents' hypocrisy or all-too-human frailty, or even by the reductio ad absurdum of some of the adherents' antics.

(The principles stand or fall on their own, obviously.)

You can disagree — as I do — with her and their conclusions about where reason leads* yet agree with them that reason should be one's touchstone, and you can admire their devotion to reason as not only a guide but a life-organizing principle while laughing at their comical excesses and their departures from rationality.

* Without getting bogged down in a needlessly detailed digression, I think one can like her epistemology — her first principles — without agreeing with all of her moral, aesthetic or political conclusions. And in regard both to her epistemology and to her moral and political conclusions, I think some of her stuff is very good and some of it is utter shit.**

(The aesthetic stuff — her views on music and dancing — is a joke that I don't even waste my time thinking about.)

So I am not an Objectivist — her term for a subscriber to her philosophy, which she presumed to call "Objectivism" — by any stretch of the imagination. I take great pleasure in pointing out what I see as the deep and stunning flaws in her system. Yet I have found myself surprisingly many times over the years in the odd and uncomfortable position of having to defend her views against unfair and poorly reasoned attacks, selective and out-of-context quotation, etc. I certainly do not agree with her, but I often disagree with her attackers as well.

** She has some very good ideas about epistemology and the sovereignty of an externally existing reality, but then there is this wacko notion that all truths are somehow logically necessary. "A is A" carries way too much weight for a tautology.

She doesn't understand Kant at all, nor even try to understand him. Yet she appropriates many of his ideas! And calls him "the most evil man in history".

(In this regard she is much like the New Testament, which attributes countless well-documented Pharisaic sayings and teachings to Jesus while giving a wildly unfair and inaccurate portrayal of the Pharisees that essentially lumps them in with the Sadducees.)

She's great on liberty in many ways, but has a burr up her ass when it comes to anarchism, which she simply doesn't understand.

Plus she thinks she somehow invented libertarianism (specifically, the non-aggression principle), which she did not, and views all libertarians as plagiarists. Which is rather ironic in light of her behavior toward Kant.

3. Forget It
    FAIL

Wrong it was Philip Larkin not Sir John Betjeman

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/178055

This be the Verse

1. Chris Miller

Spoiler alert

You do understand that Steve Bong isn't real? (Although the moment when he becomes real is getting scarily close).

1. Forget It
        FAIL

Re: Spoiler alert

oops auto FAIL!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Spoiler alert

I'm not real either. I am but a NAND gate surrounded by some mercury delay lines; one of which has slightly spilled onto a nearby Ethernet cable. Inexplicably, after decades of growing complexity, here we are...

2. graeme leggett Silver badge

I think it was meant in the jocular. Though Betejeman was obviously an anarchist as he included in his writings threats to bomb at least one British town centre.

1. Frankee Llonnygog

I think you'll find that was actually a plea to reform local government

Come friendly Bong, and fall on Slough

1. Cliff

Re: I think you'll find that was actually a plea to reform local government

Loud whooshing sound, several Reg commentards look up.

2. Anomalous Cowturd
          Thumb Up

Re: I think you'll find that was actually a plea to reform local government

@Frankee Llonnygog

PMSL

Top quality plagiarism!

4. William Donelson
    Thumb Up

Is this sarcasm?

1. Frankee Llonnygog

You tell me

It's your comment

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gets his spiritual advice from Alain de Botton, old friend from boarding school?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"soothsayers of the evidence-based hive mind"

Excellent. I'm really enjoying the new, even-more-bonkers-than-usual Steve-o. :-)

7. SW10
    FAIL

Wasteful

Two elements of Thinkfluence simply wastes the psychodriven confluence layer and I prefer a reverse-flow model where the Thinkfluence node is backreferenced during the second pass so as to maximise the synapse efficacy quotient.

1. P. Lee

Re: Wasteful

Wasteful, perhaps, but anyone who can work that graphic into a presentation at work should be awarded a prize from el reg.

Perhaps a bong.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Satire Warning Please!

This article is actually quite funny (especially the buzzword/link bingo at the bottom) but only if you're not like the typical American Democrat politician, Steve.

Unfortunately, most of them would consider this article to be a primer on how to run the government. That's why it really needs a sarcasm tag.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Er... WTF?

What's in YOUR bong, Bong?

10. Alistair
    Coat

Bah

I think all those "Rand"s in the name mean the Bong is getting randy.

/runs away

11. Peter Simpson 1

มาลัย

Reminds me of Honey.

http://doonesbury.washingtonpost.com/strip/cast/member/22

12. disgruntled yank

Surely it was Robert Graves, or maybe Robert Bridges who said that about books. Most of us remember Sir John Bejteman for "April is the cruelest month".

As for the offspring's name, I think that you should also take into account the great American educationist John Dewey in preference to the Dalai Lama. This would allow you to name the child Dewey Rand Rand D'wey Rand Rand Dewey Rand Rand.

13. David Leigh 1

They fuck you up, your Mum and Dad,”

er 'the great Poet Laureate Sir John Betjeman'

You are a complete ignoramus - sorry,probably too long a word for you, but see below:-

Philip Larkin - This Be The Verse

They fuck you up, your mum and dad.

They may not mean to, but they do.

They fill you with the faults they had

And add some extra, just for you.

John Betjeman would NEVER have written that!!

1. Cliff

Re: They fuck you up, your Mum and Dad,”

Whoosh!

(Look at the other Steve Bong articles, lord Bong of #BusinessModel and ask that guff - you'll see he's a compound character of every cretin in Hoxton and as such will spout with absolute authority utter bollocks. He doesn't even get the name of The Register right, there are clues ask over the shop, this is deliberate)

14. tfewster
    WTF?

Evidence?

> Once an evidence-based approach has been adopted we can bypass the messy business of analogue politics entirely – the business of “winning people over”, of getting and obtaining “consent”. Therefore, only those qualified to interpret the evidence, such as leading digital thinkers like myself can judge an evidence-based policy.

The Government don't need no steenkin' evidence. They KNOW what is right (but only for the proles naturally; They're far too important to be bound by silly rules themselves).

15. DocJames
    Happy

“Rand”, after the heroine of all the Ayn Rand novels, who is Ayn Rand.

Ayn Rand was the founder of evidence-based policy making. “Evidence-free assertions, appeals to tradition, and appeals to authority are not rational arguments; they are textbook logical fallacies,” Rand scholars tell us.

Genius. I love these bits; just perfection.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This Government

prefers policy-based evidence-making.

1. Hero Protagonist

Re: This Government

> prefers policy-based evidence-making.

Every Government surely?

17. Kepler
    Coffee/keyboard

Moderated, you say?

Having read every single one of the comments above — twice — imagine my surprise just now upon learning that this thread is moderated!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon