back to article German telco watchdog bitten by hound with bigger teeth

Germany’s telecoms regulator is in the firing line after it ignored requests from the European Commission to lower fixed termination rates. Fixed termination rates are the fees telcos charge each other to deliver calls between networks. Since each operator has access to customers on its own network, there is an incentive to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I told you

they would write them an angry letter threatening to write an even angrier letter.

2. auburnman
    Thumb Up

It's nice to see regulatory capture isn't exclusively limited to Blighty and her children at least.

3. tojb
    Black Helicopters

good argument for the EU

driving down roaming charges and unhelpful structuring of telecoms charges is one thing that has gone right

4. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

One question though...

One question though... I'm interested in what the actual costs are compared to the termination rates. Of course the actual cost of shooting some photons and electrons around is very close to zero, but infrastructure costs need to figure in as well (and I'd also assume mountainous terrain is more difficult and costly to deal with than flat, both for running fiber and copper, and usually needing more cell sites for wireless coverage.

I seriously doubt that EU's requested termination rate is below cost, but if it is it'd be a very good reason for the German regulatory body to not give in.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like