back to article HP emails personal data of 1,000 CDS workers to 3rd party

Personal data linked to 1,000 Customer Delivery Services staff at HP was accidentally emailed to an external third party yesterday. Insiders told us that HP CDS sent the entire employee payroll's info – which contained National Insurance numbers, addresses and salaries – to an unknown party yesterday by accident. An HP …

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Stop

The great ICO sweepstakes starts here ...

can I take

1) derisory fine

2) nothing really bad

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and these guys are supposed to be good on the computer?

3. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

HP...

Unsurprisingly shit.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Can't help thinking

Hitting the send button was only the cherry on the icing on this fail cake.

Personal details, unencrypted, email...

Better not blame the person that did it, blame the management structure that allowed the option.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So what outbound filters did they have in place ?

Try a stunt like that where I work, and it would have been spiked by the outgoing mail filter, which has some very clever rules.

Of course if HP aren't using an outbound mail filter, it does question their competence in the area of advising other people about IT security.

6. chipper_16

If only they had some sort of decent record management system in place. :-)

7. stringyfloppy

Don't blame them - they're a printer manufacturer!

Really? They can't determine the address to which the information was emailed?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

“HP is fully committed to protecting personal information and protecting privacy in all of our operations.

Well obviously not.

9. Velv
    Facepalm

"It is understood that the incident was caused by human error, but HP has processes in place to prevent these types of outcomes, and it is not known why the person did not follow them."

Which is why you take precautions to prevent human error from causing major problems. Like Data Leakage Protection between your internal and external connections. Something that detects things like National Insurance Numbers and PAN details in an email and blocks it from being sent outside the company without additional authorisation.

FFS Exchange 2013 has some of this built in already, its not hard you know!!!

10. BryanFRitt

"HP emails personal data of 1,000 CDS workers to 3rd party"

First glance of reading the title:

CDS being short for Compact Discs, and skip the word 'workers'.

"Why would HP send 1000 CDs worth of data over email?"

11. ecofeco Silver badge

Consequences?

Consequences?

Low level workers gets fired, boss gets raise. HP wheedles, "My bad."

12. TheVoiceofReason

Tip of the Iceberg

HP were never the greatest in terms of process or reliable technical interaction. However, of late they appear to be in complete meltdown. Systems are a shambles. They've just allocated dedicated account managers for 2 men and a dog SMBs trying to compete with their channel partners. Had some HP chap begging me last week to let him bid for two desktops in one of my accounts. Basically copying their nemesis channel rip-off strategy.

Agree that the ICO is completely toothless. HP will wave their "look at how many people we employ in the UK" knickers at the Department for Business Innovation and Skills and they'll tell them what fine / warning will be acceptable to them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like