back to article Old hat: Fedora 21 beta late than never... and could be best ever

As has become regrettably typical for the Fedora project, the first Fedora 21 beta is well behind schedule. According to the current schedule on the Fedora wiki, the final version will arrive about a month late, on 9 December. That is if nothing goes wrong during the beta testing phase that's just started. A month might not …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The other big gotcha – and the reason you don't see any screenshots – is that you can't take screenshots in Wayland GNOME sessions just yet."

So, pointing a camera at the screen is out, then?

(Yes, I know...)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or...

..just taking the screenshots from Gnome on X..?

2. Anonymous Bullard

For the potential improvements Wayland provides, losing the screenshot ability is a small price to pay. It's actually the result of a feature - why should other applications be able to see other windows?

I don't think I'll switch to Fedora any time soon, however.

1. frank ly

"... why should other applications be able to see other windows?"

Because I want to be able to take a screenshot without having to get my camera?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

If screenshots are important to you, then don't use Wayland until it supports it.

2. RNixon

Accessibility.

"why should other applications be able to see other windows?"

Because that's how screenreaders for the blind work.

3. Amorous Cowherder
      Facepalm

...or running the Fedora beta inside a VM and using the host to capture the screens?

4. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

So has KDE been waylandified?

Not clear, it is.

1. DrXym

Re: So has KDE been waylandified?

KDE has a backend for wayland although it's probably got rough edges like GNOME.

Desktop Linux will definitely benefit when wayland breaks through and becomes the default. X can be something that runs on top of it and over time might even be moved out of the core packages when nothing else in there depends on it.

1. Steven Raith

I'm really rather hoping we get a tit for tat war between Mir and Wayland in some respect, sort how it took OS X's aqua-desktop-thingy before Microsoft started adding visual polish (or at least attempts at it) to Windows.

Might have to have a fart about with Wayland see what the fuss is all about, although I'm a deb chap really....

Steven R

1. DrXym

"I'm really rather hoping we get a tit for tat war between Mir and Wayland in some respect, sort how it took OS X's aqua-desktop-thingy before Microsoft started adding visual polish (or at least attempts at it) to Windows."

Canonical poisoned their own well by imposing an extremely onerous licence arrangement onto Mir (GPL3 or CPL). Significant contributors like Intel walked away from it. Wayland uses an MIT licence so it's basically a drop-in replacement for X and poses no issue.

So I doubt Mir will succeed in the long term unless Canonical breaks through in the tablet space. At present they're more or less having to develop, contribute and maintain patches by themselves as opposed to Wayland which has far broader support.

I doubt an end user would know nor care if it was Mir or Wayland under the covers. The most likely impact on the user experience are that windows and the desktop as a whole feels more responsive and makes better use of their GPU.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

An improved weather app...

Now where have I seen one similar to that...Hmmm

http://www.windows8core.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Weather-app-of-Windows-8.png

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: An improved weather app...

There's been weather apps for years.

4. AdamWill

On schedules

Matt Miller (current Fedora project leader) has a take on 'delays' which I hope people will consider:

http://fedoramagazine.org/fedora-21-beta-is-on-for-november-4-and-a-word-about-fedora-schedules/

Fedora's release schedule is a hybrid of time- and feature-based, which perhaps isn't always best communicated (and it's much easier to look at a date and say 'hey, it's that date and this didn't happen' than to understand all the subtleties behind it).

F21 was never planned to be a six month release cycle from the start, and was pretty much expected to have some bumps, since there's so much change involved.

Aside from that, glad you're enjoying the Beta so far. We hope the Final shouldn't diverge too far from the current schedule (we really don't want it to drag out past December).

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The main gotcha

is GNOME 3.x

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like