back to article Poll: Yes, yes, texting while driving is bad but *ping* OH! Hey, GRAB THE WHEEL, will ya?

Despite widespread efforts to stop drivers texting while on the road, most people continue with the dangerous practice, according to new research. AT&T and the Center for Internet and Technology Addiction polled 1,004 Americans, and found that while nearly all the respondents were aware of the danger, most still sent and read …

1. Herby

This is the same reason..

That my wife gets anxious if (for any reason) the state of charge is anything less than 100%. Thankfully she doesn't text while driving.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Re: This is the same reason..

Yep, I know people like that, though I estimate that the threshold is about 80% charge.

2. Alan Denman

I recall

that a car driver had, in a 20 minute journey had sent 3 text messages, received 4 and made one phone call.On a roundabout she did not see the motorcyclist everyone else saw, killed him yet the jury let the person off !

So it is jury drivers sticking together against other road users as the law of averages said the person was guilty as hell.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I recall

"So it is jury drivers sticking together against other road users as the law of averages said the person was guilty as hell."

Maybe if you'd heard the case in court as a juror, or from the public gallery, then you'd actually be able to give us an informed opinion?

I presume that by "let off" you mean that the jury concluded that prosecutors had not proven their case beyond reasonable doubt after hearing the arguments and evidence.

As far as I know you have no evidence for your assertion that "jury drivers (were) sticking together against other road users", in which case you're a tit. Or if you do, I trust that you're going to write to the Lord Chief Justice, alleging that the jury contrived to help an offender evade justice. Of course, if you already know that the jurors were primarily drivers, and voted in that way then chances are you will be in contempt of court (for enquiring into how and why the jury voted as they did). Enjoy your porridge.

3. Chairo
    Meh

It would be interesting to know

if they asked how often people texted while driving. There is quite a difference If someone does it once in a lifetime or every 10 minutes.

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: It would be interesting to know

Once is often enough.

My phone reads them to me over the car stereo. That said, I get about 1 SMS every 2 or 3 months when driving.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"My phone reads them to me over the car stereo. "

Luckily my phone doesn't. Since my wife sometimes texts me a shopping list when I'm driving home, and listening to that certainly could cause an accident.

1. big_D Silver badge

It asks whether you want to hear the SMS or ignore.

4. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Cure

Put them on stand-by for some systems' incident respond team and after a day or two their dopamine level starts increasing the long the phone stays silent.

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: Cure

I hate receiving SMS or emails on my phone, especially my work phone. That is why I set SMS and email arrivial to silent on it and leave it in my bag, when I'm in the car.

2. TitterYeNot

Re: Cure

"Put them on stand-by for some systems' incident respond team"

Agreed. The power of an on-call rota to turn the most innocent of mobile communication devices into a vile instrument of torture and sleep deprivation is almost diabolical...

5. Terry 6 Silver badge

Windows phone

My Lumia reads and takes voice replies to texts over the Bluetooth hands free. I don't know about Androids and iThingies only read texts with difficulty. But I would only use even this system when stopped. There are too many road users out there trying to kill me to let me surrender concentration.

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: Windows phone

Yes, the WindowsPhones are great in that respect.

2. returnmyjedi

Re: Windows phone

Lumias also have a Car Mode whereby if they connect to Bluetooth you can (if you wish) have all calls immediately redirected to voicemail our have it send an autoreply text to say you're driving.

I was a passenger being driven up the M1 earlier in the week I was surprised/terrified to see a woman playing a game (Angry Birds, I think) on the iphone that was in a cradle on her windscreen whilst driving in the middle lane. At 70mph.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please bring on self driving cars!

Anything has to be safer than humans at the current stage of development :(

7. ukgnome
    Joke

I find reading and responding to texts a right nightmare. 70 MPH on a motorcycle makes it far too challenging.

1. Stumpy

What? You only ride at 70 MPH?

1. Eddy Ito

Well it wouldn't be prudent to go any faster than 70 while filtering forward in a traffic jam.

8. jake Silver badge

Dopamine.

In other words, compulsive texters are addicted. They can't fight their jones. Any more than alcoholics or heroin addicts can.

Driving laws should reflect this simple fact.

1. John Robson Silver badge

Re: Dopamine.

Yes - we should remove their license to drive, and they should go to rehab.

2. Gordon 11

Re: Dopamine.

They can't fight their jones. Any more than alcoholics or heroin addicts can.

Driving laws should reflect this simple fact.

So we just should let serial killers get on with what they feel compelled to do as well and make it legal for them?

9. Pat 11

bloody dopamine

The use of neurobiological terms to make psychology research sound more sciencey is thought to be driven by the rewarding feeling generated by publicity, leading to promotion and reinforcing the bollocks cycle.

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
      Joke

Re: bloody dopamine

parklife

10. Lobrau

The number of times I've seen people texting when I'm riding along. The compulsion to grab the phone from plonkers in convertibles and hurl it into the path of oncoming traffic is nearly too difficult to resist.

I now assume that everyone is out to kill me when I'm on the bike and ride accordingly.

1. future research

"I now assume that everyone is out to kill me when I'm on the bike and ride accordingly."

That is definitely the right attitude to take. Most car drivers are not aware they are in control of a killing machine.

2. NumptyScrub

The number of times I've seen people texting when I'm riding along. The compulsion to grab the phone from plonkers in convertibles and hurl it into the path of oncoming traffic is nearly too difficult to resist.

The number of times I've seen bicycle riders on a call or texting while riding on the road is just as staggering. Apparently some people are convinced they are invincible :/

1. Graham Marsden
        Boffin

@NumptyScrub

Yes, but the point is that cyclists who do stupid things like calling or texting or riding through red lights are, in the vast majority of cases, only putting *themselves* at risk.

Drivers who engage in such behaviour will probably be ok because of seatbelts and airbags and crumple zones, but it is everyone else they put put at risk.

1. NumptyScrub

Re: @NumptyScrub

The driver who takes that suicidal cyclist out is still going to have to live with themselves though. I pilot cars, motorcycles and bicycles as the mood takes me, which is probably why I try and see these things from both (3?) sides :/

1. hoola Silver badge

Re: @NumptyScrub

It is not just at speed, as a cyclist on my trip home there is a cycle lane on the LH side of the road. The traffic is often stop/start or moving at the 5-10 mph. Vehicles are often weaving into the cycle lane because the drive is hard at work on their phone or tablet. They are paying no attention to anything else and will sometimes look up just to check they are not in immediate danger of ramming the car in front. These are the sorts of low speed crashes that are catastrophic for pedestrians, cyclists and motorcylists but leave the offender with nothing more than a minor bumb and a conscience. Given the propensity of drivers to do the most stupid things I do not believe the “living with the conscience” of an accident haunts many.

The penalties are simply far too lenient and it is too easy to get a charge reduced with smart lawyers. I you kill someone due to inattention whilst driving a vehicle it should manslaughter as a minimum.

11. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Boffin

How does the data break down?

It would be interesting to see how the data breaks down by age and sex. I've witnessed a lot of phone fiddling at motorway speeds, and around town (arguably more dangerous).

I have to say that the overwhelming number of culprits are women.

Not seeking downvotes, or making sexist remarks; it's just how it looks to me.

12. sandman

Personal Observation - non-statistical

I had the interesting experience of watching a non-accident happen, although was very surprised about the "non" bit. The scene is a busy junction and a driver is approaching the main road while happily talking on and looking at their phone. Coming along the main road is another driver on the phone. About to cross the junction is a pedestrian texting while listening to music on their phone. Cue blaring horns, screeches of brakes, one pedestrian paralysed with fear in the middle of the road and much swearing.

I'd like to say this was a one-off, but it's more a daily occurrence around where I live...

13. Just Enough
    Stop

Daft law

The law regarding phones while stopped at a traffic light in simply daft. While sitting stationary at a traffic light I may retune my radio, exchange a CD, place things in the glove compartment, adjust my seatbelt, turn and talk to passengers in the rear, get out the car and retrieve something from the boot, eat a Mars Bar, take off my coat, blow my nose, wipe the inside of the windscreen, consult a map.

But if I look at my mobile I'm breaking the law.

Of course you shouldn't do this while driving. But how is this law sensible?

1. NumptyScrub

Re: Daft law

The answer is that as a responsible driver, you should be doing none of those things, or at least as infrequently as possible and for the bare minimum amount of time. Plus you will get behaviour creep; if it's "safe" (it isn't* but hey) to check your phone while stationary, then a self-styled "skilled driver" will think they can do so at low speed as well. Once they get comfortable doing so at low speed, they'll start doing so at higher speeds, and eventually they'll just be checking the phone whenever.

*If you are sitting stationary in traffic, you need to keep an eye on your surroundings for pedestrians that may try to cross in front of you as the lights change, cyclists who may be weaving in and out of traffic and cross your path, and many other potential issues that you should be aware of before setting off, so you can take avoiding action if necessary. I have personally had to take (in)action many times, to avoid running idiots over because they are in front of my car when I am ready to set off. Your responsibility for the vehicle is not proportionate to the vehicle speed, it is an absolute for the whole time you are in the driver seat :)

2. Graham Marsden

@Just Enough - Re: Daft law

Just because you *can* do all those things does not mean that you *should*.

Read the Highway Code paragraph 150:

There is a danger of driver distraction being caused by in-vehicle systems such as satellite navigation systems, congestion warning systems, PCs, multi-media, etc. You MUST exercise proper control of your vehicle at all times. [...] If necessary find a safe place to stop.

Laws RTA 1988 sects 2 & 3 & CUR reg 104

3. PassiveSmoking

Re: Daft law

a) You shouldn't be doing any of the described things at a red light anyway.

b) If you start using your phone at a red light there's a temptation to keep using it once the light changes.

14. Mooseman Silver badge

is this anything new?

I've seen dozens of people texting while driving and I'm always astounded that more of them aren't involved in serious accidents.

But I remember the people looking down to change cassette tapes in the stereo, the lorry drivers I used to see in the early hours of the morning on the A1 reading newspapers while driving, the parents looking round to shout at the children in the back of the car - is this really anything new?

What drivers need, and I mean all drivers including motorcyclists - is an awareness of the inherent danger of what they are doing. I'm not suggesting we should drive in a state of panic, but everyone needs to realise that driving on the roads is a dangerous activity.

To the motorcyclist who says he'll now drive assuming everyone is out to kill him - that's how I've always driven even in cars. Assume the worst and you're prepared for nearly every situation.

1. wikkity

Re: is this anything new?

> To the motorcyclist who says he'll now drive assuming everyone is out to kill him - that's how I've always driven even in cars

My (car) driving instructor told me the exact same thing on my first lesson almost 40 years ago. Saved my life a few times I'm sure as both a driver and a pedestrian.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

@wikkity

Ditto

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As a young driver I did try to change a cassette while on a slip road, I don't know what I was thinking.

No harm done, but never again!

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

To the motorcyclist who says he'll now drive assuming everyone is out to kill him - that's how I've always driven even in cars.

I agree, which is why I shoot other drivers as I overtake their vehicles. Take that, you would-be assassin!

I tried surface-to-surface missiles but they run out too quickly and debris is a problem.

15. Chorotega

Simple solution to this problem- Instant 3 month driving ban for anyone caught using a phone behind the wheel. No excuses, none of this "i'm a critical worker so need a car" rubbish just an instant ban. If caught a second time, another ban followed by a re-test. The only way to stop retards using their phone behind the wheel is to make the penalty so high that people don't risk it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If caught a second time, another ban followed by a re-test

Most of the YOOF round my parts have never taken a test, just use their brothers / mates name when pulled over

threatening a retest will not stop it, same as raising insurance premiums for drivers caught without it does nothing to make them buy it

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"The only way to stop retards using their phone behind the wheel is to make the penalty so high that people don't risk it."

We used to hang people for murder and for treason, but it didn't stop either thing happening. Driving at very high speeds, like double the prevailing limit carries very stiff sentences, but that never stopped me doing so (back in the days when I had fast cars, at any rate).

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A solution

Years ago Rudi Guliano in New York fixed the problem of "people" who drove when their licence was cancelled (or who did not hold a licence) by confiscating the car instantly and selling it once the charge was proven.

This worked because he started on day one by seizing a significant number of cars from people at the top of the food chain who thought they were immune, lawyers, stock brokers etc who were caught driving their Rollers and Lamborginis. The press made a big thing of it and everyone got the message.

Make the first offence for texting or reading a text a large (say $5000) fine with the car impounded until the court case is over (and the fine paid in full) and on the second offence confiscation of the car and two things will happen

1- the hip pocket nerve will kick in significantly reducing the problem;

2- the police will start enforcing the problem further reducing it.

The revenue raised will well and truly offset the additional court and vehicle storage costs.

16. Steve May 1

A Modest Proposal

I suspect that temporary confiscation of the offending phone might prove the most effective punishment. At the very least the miscreant would be unable to repeat the offence immediately. This approach seems to work for uninsured cars. And just think of the looks on the faces of the evil-doers as the reality of BEING WITHOUT THEIR PHONE sinks in. Should make for some great "reality" police TV shows.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A Modest Proposal

"I suspect that temporary confiscation of the offending phone might prove the most effective punishment. "

Perhaps confiscate all phones in the possession of the driver at the time. As with impounded vehicles make the guilty pay (say £20-50) to recover the phone, and require them to turn up with evidence of identity including all their driving documents. You could have the traffic officers (or even PCSO's take the phone, but have the administration done cheaply by civilians back at the cop shop. The great thing about it is that it could be administered and enforced easily and immediately, and most people will have to tell their mates why their "off grid" all of a sudden, so it's not like a speeding ticket that you can keep quiet. Unlike the rest of the justice system there's no long delay, you get caught, you get punished, and its inconvenient to get your shiney back. With a week or two week forfeiture there's limited prospect of rich bastards effecting a legal challenge, and the punishment doesn't seem disproportionate to the crime (because lets face it, this is about people being caught using phones, not for people suspected of having accidents because of them). I wouldn't bother with points on licences - too severe, long winded and bureaucratic, better to treat is a something slightly more serious than a parking offence. And there's work embarrassment if Plod have taken the work phone away for two weeks, the penalty can be repeatedly administered.....

I love this idea!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: A Modest Proposal

Brilliant, 100 out of ten, but may I make one significant change.

While they have the phone in their possession the Plods should additionally be required to

cancel the phone number,

wipe the contacts list, and

destroy the sim card(S) from the offending device(s).

The Telcos should be barred from reissuing the number for 90 days to prevent the obviot reclaiming the same number.

Then the offender has to get new numbers and let all his/her contacts know their new contact details (after spending hours finding all those details again).

If the offender refuses to supply the device password then the unit could be stored inside a very strong magnetic field for the duration.

The only hitch is getting the Plods to enforce it without a significant monetary fine to have the Plod management decide it is economic to enforce.

17. Martin H Watson

living near a permanent slow moving traffic jam, i only have to look out of the window to see a driver texting or phoning at almost anytime of the day.

18. xerocred

I got Tasker...

To hang up all incoming calls when its on charge and using Google maps when its navigating.

Otherwise it would be in airplane mode.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I drank a cup of coffee whiledriving this morning , in special thermal lidded cup. Did I do bad?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Did you take your eyes off the road?

If no then no big deal.

If yes then WHY?

20. Gordon 11

Happy? More like Grumpy...

...every time we get an update through text, email or social media, we experience an elevation of dopamine, which is a neurochemical in the brain that makes us feel happy," Greenfield said.
    Really. Any time I get one from my wife I'm equally likely to wonder what she's going to be complaining about me having forgetton to do. "happy" is not the feeling...

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New UK lottery

To win you need to take two sequential close timed photos of a driver using a mobile phone at the wheel (with reg, car moving), once your submission has been checked the driver gets to send you £100.

To liven things up you can have multipliers like Hoodie up, Headphones on, Tinted windows.

1. NumptyScrub
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: New UK lottery

Using your phone while driving, to photograph someone using their phone while driving, sounds like a brilliant plan with but one tiny flaw... :D

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@NumptyScrub.

Unfortunately you have made the classic car drivers assumption, the roads are not all about you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedestrian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling

1. NumptyScrub

Unfortunately you have made the classic car drivers assumption, the roads are not all about you.

Ok, so that's either a mediocre attempt at trolling, or my attempt at humour was even more terrible than I thought. Oh well, either way I'll class my comment as a fail :'(

2. Charles 9

"Using your phone while driving, to photograph someone using their phone while driving, sounds like a brilliant plan with but one tiny flaw... :D"

What? Like doing this from the passenger's seat?

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simplez

All new cars should block any and all electronic signals from leaving or entering the vehicle.

This could be done very easily simply by putting certain materials in the roof and door panels of the vehicle which interfere with the signals just enough to brake them.

They can't text at all with that!

(As for GPS systems, a car could have a built in GPS with an external antenna connected to it.)

The amount of people I see with the GPS on the windshield practically in front of their eyes where they are watching the GPS instead of the road is ridiculous, so it would stop that too as an added bonus.

1. mark 63 Silver badge

Re: Simplez

what about my radio 4?

1. Charles 9

Re: Simplez

Not hindered since radio antennae are mounted externally and then fed to the radio by a wire.

That said, what's to stop someone from gutting out the interfering material or installing some kind of repeater?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like