back to article 7 questions we're dying to ask the internet's most exciting bloke

It is some irony that the further away the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) walks from trying to run the internet, the more it understands it. Having opened up their documents, started webcasting meetings, and expanded outside communications, now it is the turn of new Secretary-General Houlin Zhao to take questions …

1. Buzzword

Word docs

"2. Will you move the ITU toward the use of multi-platform-friendly documents rather than Microsoft Word docs?"

Which platform are you using that struggles to read a Word document? I can open them on Linux (Abiword, LibreOffice), on Mac OS (Pages, which is free in the App Store), on Android (too many apps to list), etc. It's just not an issue any more.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Word docs

Opening may not be an issue but use anything other than the most simple of formatting and Libreoffice WILL break it when you save. It really IS still an issue, Softmaker is still the only Linux office suite which guaranteed doesn't mangle MS Office files.

2. Semtex451

4. "greater sexual equality" Is this the same as gender equality, or is it who's on top?

Also 11pm UK, - finally an end to my insomnia

1. theblackhand

"greater sexual equality"

It's an attempt by telecoms people to get as much sex as the rest of the IT community. Men/women will be multiplexed into available slots to prevent "bandwidth hogs".

Don't worry, I won't be here for the rest of the week....

2. kierenmccarthy

yep

You are absolutely right and thank you. Changed

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Paris Hilton

Re: yep

Why is that relevant to telecoms though? Do women / LG / asexuals / transgender / alternatively sexual people experience telecoms differently?

3. nijam Silver badge

> 5. Only two of the five key elections were uncontested this year – is this a sign that the ITU is stagnant?

uncontested => contested, surely?

1. kierenmccarthy

Yep

Good spot - thanks. Changed

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MY LUCKY NUMBER SLEVEN

#1: Best Bond, Connery or Moore?

#2: Take 2 bottles into the shower or just 1?

#3 Which came first the Chicken or the Egg?

#4: Flakes or Ripples?

#5: Amiga 500 or Atari ST?

#6: Who would you do first, Rihanna or Beyonce?

#7: Star Wars or Star Trek?

(#6: is obviously a trick question, the answer being: Both at the same time.)

5. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

"How will you make the ITU more relevant to the digital age?"

Very open-ended. So what has changed in the digital age that makes the ITU less or as much relevant as before? The hands-on work of small teams on digital communications? RFCs? Why make the ITU *more* relevant?

"Is the ITU content with its current status"?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like