back to article Spaceplane fan sips sweet nectar from LOHAN's copious cup

We're obliged to spaceplane fan Mike Kimber for sending over the first evidence we've received of our magnificent Low Orbit Helium Assisted Navigator (LOHAN) mug in the wild, and being put to extremely laudable use. Mike wrote: "A while ago you published a recipe for a super strength mead in honour of the LOHAN project... Well …

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Well done that man!

My mug has just dispensed the morning ration of Lapsang Suchong (I only drink the stuff to annoy Lester!) and the mission patch is sewn onto my flying suit, awaiting a paragliding holiday in a couple of weeks.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Well done that man!

Consider me annoyed. I'm quaffing a proper PG Tips from mine as we speak.

2. ukgnome

My mug is a virgin

And forever will it remain so.

It currently holds my torque drivers, a finger skateboard and a solid silver dolphin for a charm bracelet that I have made. I think I should probably add a pen.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Re: My mug is a virgin

It currently holds my torque drivers, a finger skateboard and a solid silver dolphin for a charm bracelet

And you call that a virgin?!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Atomic Duetto
    Pint

Yay!

I'm about to christen mine with a beer (to Gough)

Thank you and good evening from the Antipodes

(Ok, Australia. Brisbane)

4. David Lewis 2
    Unhappy

I'm Jealous

Still no sign of my T-shirt & mug :(

1. no-one in particular
      Unhappy

Re: I'm Jealous

I share your pain - I dunno, you suggest they create the mug'n'tee pledge level, leap on it as soon as poss. then have to wait around like some kind of common person.

2. Vic

Re: I'm Jealous

Still no sign of my T-shirt & mug :(

My mug has arrived and has been properly tested.

The T-shirt is still MIA, though :-(

Vic.

5. The BigYin

Nice

But why does the recipe mention "Brewer's sugar" twice? 1kg and then 5g?

1. ukgnome

Re: Nice

the 5g is used to get the yeast all excited - it would be odd if it stated add 995g to container...presumably

1. The BigYin
        Thumb Up

Re: Nice

Ah, thanks! Must need more coffee - really didn't follow the 5g thing.

6. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Coat

Congratulations

Your camel is pregnant!

7. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Sad

I missed out. I kept putting it off, then forgot {scuffs foot miserably on pavement}

8. Swarthy
    Pint

I'm on my 4th Batch of V2-inspired mead

The last 3 have been scaled up to 5 gal (US) and have had some experimentation. Although I think I got the wrong kind of yeast... they don't stop @ 18%. The last batch tested at 30% ABV.

I shredded an orange into the mix prior to fermentation, it seems that fed the yeast enough to give them super powers. When everything was mixed (before the orange) it was rated at 28% sugar, when I racked it into the aging container, it had 0% sugar - I had to add more honey (~6%) to make it drinkable. After aging the hydrometer said it was 4% sugar. I did skimp on the aging time, I only let it age for 6 weeks. It was delicious stuff, but it would catch one by surprise.

For my current batch I started 3 months ago: replaced 1kg of sugar with 1kg of maple sugar, and have been aging it with cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and 2 vanilla beans. I'll be handing out bottles as Christmas presents. It tastes like Christmas in your mouth.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon