back to article HP's pet lizard is feral peril says wildlife group

HP's current mega global branding campaign involves a cute kid who loses his pet green iguana named Ralph. An HP laptop and printer later, he festoons his neighbourhood with posters of the plucky pet, resulting in a boy-and-his-iguana tear-jerker for the ages. So far, so cute. But not in Australia, which has a long history of …

1. Winkypop Silver badge
    Happy

Sick 'em Ralph!

Oh, wrong commercial.

Wrong critter.

But legal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ac9XE2Koxg

(It was on TV, so I guess it is SFW)

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Sick 'em Ralph!

Thanks for posting that. It's time the world saw it.

2. John Tserkezis

The car manufactuers don't seem to have any qualms about this. They advertise using overseas vehicles, driving on the wrong side of the road, with features that do no, can not, and will never appear on the Australian modified versions. They have a disclaimer during the ad stating this, while at the same time you're teased with something you're never going to get. Ever.

Can you picture this ad's disclaimer? "Pet green iguanas are not available in Australia due to import restrictions".

Yep, in the fear we've become the same as the US, too late, our disclaimers are getting to be exactly the same as the US.

1. Mystic Megabyte
      Stop

@John Tserkezis

The simple remedy to your problem is to give away your TV. I did it years ago when the adverts became too annoying. The top two culprits were for cars and shampoo.

Car adverts usually say, "This amazing family car can go really fast so you can wipe-out your entire family".

Shampoo ads., "This 5 cent product has <made-up_chemical_name> in it and is yours for 5 dollars".

Then just run AdBlockPlus in your browser and you're good to go :)

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

In Europe cars in adverts always seem to have registration numbers like "VOOM 888", which I'd always assumed was to allow them to reverse the photo/film left-to-right so they could alter the 'handedness' where required.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

@Phil

"In Europe"

Where there? The German car ads always seem to carry German plates. Your VOOM 888 theory also would fail with cars with asymmetrical logos: Ford, Vauxhall/Opel, Peugeot, Fiat etc. A mirrored dashboard/media center/gear stick would look silly.

If only the Commonwealthies would get on the bandwagon (pun intended) along with the Nippons, Thais, Nepalese and Indonesians...

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: @Phil

Where there?

I usually only watch French & UK TV, so mostly there! Not a wide sample, admittedly

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

TV direction

A stream of commercials sometimes rudely interrupted by Programming.

As for the disclaimers you see on US TV.... Well I guess they have to cater for the fact that more than 50% of the population are idiots. What worries me more is the ability of those Idiots read something that appears on the screen for less than a second?

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: TV direction

It's not because the population are idiots but because they love to sue. Other countries have as many idiots but they wouldn't try and sue the company when they drive on the wrong side of the road after watching an advert.

1. Eddy Ito

Re: TV direction

WHAT!?!?!?! Are you telling me that this is fake?

4. JDX Gold badge

Like crocodiles, green iguanas make appealing pets when young

That sounds like something only an Australian would say. I'd never considered a croc to be appealing.

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Like crocodiles, green iguanas make appealing pets when young

Oh come ON! This little fella - http://regmedia.co.uk/2013/10/05/wsc_crocodile.png - is awful cute. The croc. Not the Reg hack. Story here for context: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/05/wacky_racers_ithe_regis_guide_to_2013s_solar_challengers/

2. Neil of Qld

Re: Like crocodiles, green iguanas make appealing pets when young

A croc is more appealing than a pet bird say a Cassowary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOPVVdg8noc

5. JDX Gold badge

Forget the perils of iguanas...

...it's disgusting that they promote destroying the planet with reckless printing. Surely little Tommy should've set up a viral #BringBackOurIguana campaign on social media and championed the cause on national TV.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: Forget the perils of iguanas...

Very good point.

Also who is paying for Tommy's ink? TV adverts might be cheaper.

6. /\/\j17

Missed one

But not in Australia, which has a long history of introduced species overrunning locals. Europeans humans, Rabbits, camels, foxes and the cane toad are all imported pests in Australia.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Missed one

Missed another. Sheep

2. Steven Roper

Re: Missed one

...Europeans humans...

Of course. Better exterminate all those evil overprivileged white male cishet shitlord scum who are the sole cause of all that that is wrong with the world, right?

Sanctimonious PC hatemongers like you are what is wrong with the world.

7. S4qFBxkFFg

"That's bad because, presumably, dumped Ralphs will go feral, eat local wildlife and perhaps breed."

Iguanas don't eat meat, unless accidentally (for example, an insect minding its own business, sitting on a tasty leaf) or when forced (by humans fattening them for later eating, both of which are extremely unhealthy for the iguana).

edit: http://www.anapsid.org/iguana/animalprotein.html

1. Jonathan Richards 1

Re Iguanas don't eat meat

Since when did wildlife have to consist of meat? Eating native plants or fungi could equally well upset the ecology, I guess.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>> "That's bad because, presumably, dumped Ralphs will go feral, eat local wildlife and perhaps breed."

> Iguanas don't eat meat, unless accidentally

That's a shame. It would make Australia a safer place to live.

8. Version 1.0 Silver badge

A simple solution

1 Iguana - female

3 large sour oranges

1 garlic bulb

4 lg. onions

1 tsp. black pepper

12 c. water

1 lb. dry corn (powdered)

1 tsp. crushed red pepper

3/4 bottle of pork grease

Salt to taste

After the Iguana has been killed, open the stomach and below, take out the eggs and intestines. Clean the eggs very well with the sour oranges. Put the eggs in the arms with the Iguana in all its skin. Later in the day cook the eggs in salt water for 10 minutes, then let them sit in the water until they are cold. Store them in refrigerator.

Early the following day soak the Iguana in cold water. Skin it and wash it once more. Cut the Iguana into small pieces and cook it with 8 cups of water with salt, garlic, sliced onion, and black pepper. Grind it into a "Soft Mass" and mix it with the gravy. Cook the corn in water until soft, then brown it (not too darkly) and grind to a lumpy mass. Take 4 cups of this corn, mix with the gravy and Iguana and cook, stirring constantly until it is well cooked.

In 2 1/2 cups of pork grease, fry 3 onions (chopped fine) until clear and light brown. Set aside a few onions. With the rest, add the powdered pepper, Iguana mixture, more salt, sour oranges, and, if necessary, more pork grease. Do not let get too dry. Form a large rounded shape in a serving dish and create an indentation in the center. Garnish with onion and serve with a robust red wine.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A simple solution

Sounds pretty good, apart from the iguana.

1. Eddy Ito

Seems complicated. I'm thinking it would be easier to skin and gut then either grill or fry and use as taco filling. Deboning can be either before or after cooking but I think after tends to be easier as it can be removed quickly with a fork, much like pulled pork only it's more delicate almost fish like.

2. Manolo
        Linux

I've had iguana in the West Indies. It's pretty good, tasted like lamb, but that might have been due to the curry it came in. I guess one is supposed to say "tastes like chicken" when eating exotic meats.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aussie recipe

The Australian recipe would be:

1 light fire

2 kill iguana.

3 throw in coals/ashes of fire.

4 eat iguana, discarding skin, bones etc...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like