back to article iBail: American Psycho actor Christian Bale rejects Steve Jobs role

Batman Begins actor Christian Bale has declined the opportunity to channel the spirit of Steve Jobs and will no longer star in a biopic about the erstwhile Apple supremo. The film has been hit by personnel troubles ever since its inception. Bale is the second high-profile thesp to change his mind about playing the fruity …

1. returnmyjedi

The only viable proposition now is a motion captured Andy Serkis voiced by MacInTalk.

1. BillG
      Meh

Aaron Sorkin's scripts have gotten more and more angry as he rants against "the establishment", religion, network TV, etc. I'm wondering if the reason why actors are walking away is Sorkin wrote another angry script?

1. streaky

Most actors would *kill* to work with Sorkin, I strongly doubt the issue is the script. Maybe they're finding out what sort of chap Jobs was :)

1. BillG
          Holmes

Most actors would *kill* to work with Sorkin

I think most actors would kill to work with Tarantino. For a look at Sorkin on a recent angry childish rant, take a look at "Studio 60" on YouTube.

For Sorkin at his stellar best, look at "Sports Night". Genius writing.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

>I strongly doubt the issue is the script. Maybe they're finding out what sort of chap Jobs was

So... you're saying Jobs was a 'baddie'. Actors enjoy playing baddies, don't they?

If you're suggesting that jobs was a 'baddie', but the script was portraying him as a 'goodie', then surely the issue, from your perspective, is with the script?

Maybe Jobs was neither a goodie or a baddie, but just an imperfect human being like the rest of us. Maybe the actors think it might be a redundant role, since there is video footage of the Steve Jobs presenting products. Maybe Christian Bale has just received a call about work from his old mate Christopher Nolan, since the latter has just wrapped up his latest film?

1. streaky

"So... you're saying Jobs was a 'baddie'. Actors enjoy playing baddies, don't they?"

I'm not saying Jobs is anything, given his reputation I can't imagine how you could write Jobs as anything as a psychopath with a serious personality complex and possibly a messiah complex. There's a difference between playing a lovable baddie and.. modern day board room Hitler.

If I was an actor and wasn't aware of his history a stark look at it might give people cause for concern. Not that I have any reason to suspect Sorkin would write it like that, but knowing his work I wouldn't discount it.

My apple fan boy housemate and I do agree on one thing about this role though - it's an extremely difficult role to cast.

"For a look at Sorkin on a recent angry childish rant, take a look at "Studio 60" on YouTube"

You argument only works if people subscribe to your world view. I was involved in the effort to keep Studio 60 on air so lets assume I don't see it like you? Also Studio 60 was totally not recent. NBC thought they could fill their air with reality TV, and now nobody would work with them either way. But we might have been wrong, or not.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

>I'm not saying Jobs is anything, given his reputation I can't imagine how you could write Jobs as anything as a psychopath with a serious personality complex and possibly a messiah complex.

Have you seen Christian Bale in 'American Psycho'? I've worked for people who can go into raging rants when what we are creating falls short of their perception of 'quality'... it tends to be a part of their personality, not its entirety. And I think there's a Woody Allen film which explores the question of whether great art can be created by an unpleasant human being. There's no barrier in principal to there being a good film in these elements... it'd be down to the script.

And that's before the made-for-the-movies 'rags to riches to rags to extreme riches' plot outline.

2. James Micallef Silver badge

"I can't imagine how you could write Jobs as anything as a psychopath with a serious personality complex and possibly a messiah complex."

Having seen Bale in american Psycho and The Machinist, I would say he would have been ideal for the role

1. streaky

I think you guys missed my point slightly - if you're expecting a nice easy role with plenty of key demographic fan service which apple fanboys will love filled with plenty of red meat and it turns out to be something else you might have second thoughts. I'm only speculating here but I can imagine why - it might be scheduling or something, only Bale knows at this point the answer.

2. TechicallyConfused

Doubt it is even written yet, beyond a skeleton

2. Anonymous Coward
      Gimp

Andy Serkis? Is the movie going to feature the historical creation of the original iPhone prototype in the fires of Mount Doom?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Perhaps Bale realised that he'd already played one American Psycho and didn't want to repeat himself?

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Coat

About time the studios built

a Steve Jobs like 'iRobot' for the part.

Ok, Coat, I'm gone

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surprising. He would have been a perfect fit. Hissy control freak.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

didn't we have a Steve Jobs biopic already?

With Ashton Kutcher?

Do we need a new Steve Jobs movie every other year?

They could do a series, something like Indiana Jones:

- Steve Jobs and the Bending iPhone

- Steve Jobs and the Broken Antenna

- Steve Jobs and the Time-Traveling Stock Options

1. Simon Harris
      Joke

Re: didn't we have a Steve Jobs biopic already?

"Do we need a new Steve Jobs movie every other year?"

I thought it was the law - everything Apple related has to be upgraded to a new version every couple of years.

1. mark 63 Silver badge
        Trollface

Well I'm going to start queing outside the cinema 3 weeks in advance to be sure of getting a place!

2. Tom 38

With Ashton Kutcher?

Noah Wyle, surely.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Alien

Steve Jobs biopic: as troubled as Fincher's "Alien³"

At least we will have all the Jobs we need.

Politicians' prayers come true, in a sense.

2. BoldMan

>With Ashton Kutcher?

>Noah Wyle, surely.

There is a difference?

5. Cliff

Siri, with a turtleneck.

That's all.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Beyond even Bales acting abilities....

....to portray a cunt like Jobs!

1. TechicallyConfused

Re: Beyond even Bales acting abilities....

I agree with the sentiment but I simply cannot agree with or condone your use of language.

A cunt is useful, warm and often welcoming. Something that can provide almost endless pleasure for all concerned.

Perhaps if your prefaced the work with "Slack, greasy and diseased .." it would be more appropriate.

1. Arctic fox
        Headmaster

@TechnicallyConfused "cannot agree with or condone your use of language."

To be honest, although I am not remotely a prude when it comes to "four-letter" words there is indeed one word that I never use except in the positive sense in (if I may be permitted to express it this way) a moment of passion. I have never used that word as a "swear word" in my life. Why? Because of something Dad said to me many, many years ago. "Son, when you use that particular word to curse with you are insulting your mother, your sister and the lady who you may one day marry and any daughters she may, if you are very lucky, present you with". I realise that this may be regarded as a hopelessly old fashioned view but that is the way I feel.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @TechnicallyConfused "cannot agree with or condone your use of language."

Dear Arctic Roll,

just having a bit of fun.

2. king of foo

Re: @TechnicallyConfused "cannot agree with or condone your use of language."

In a previous life/role I included a few diabolical lines in a word vba script that changed the font colour ever so slightly to highlight 4 particular letters when printed; on screen you'd be none the wiser. We had a lot of "Scunthorpe" related memos and communications, which were usually printed out and pinned up on the walls of various business locations... I found it amusing recently upon encountering said *.doc template still in use, along with said VBA, as there were other meaningful things going on within the script and I had a password protecting my masterpiece...

it was 4 letters long..

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Bale can't act.

Every role is the same - emotionless and cut up over internal what, yet not mature enough to deal with it or get help.

Why he gets any plaudits is beyond me.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Is Arctic Fox an American?

In the UK the word 'cunt' is used to insult mainly men. From what I have seen of US film and TV (Kill Bill part 2, The Wire, Weeds) it is only ever used to insult women.

1. dogged

Yeah, that IS odd. Here in the UK, you'd be really going beyond the pale to call a woman a cunt whereas you can call Nigel Farage one without batting an eyelid.

1. Vic

whereas you can call Nigel Farage [ a cunt ] without batting an eyelid.

It's obligatory isn't it?

Vic.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

TIL the UK is culturally misogynist as, apparently, referring to a man in the female gender is an insult.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

culturally misogynist

All right Ladies , calm down

3. Tom 13

Re: only ever used to insult women.

No, it's used to insult men too. In that form however, it is such an invective that it is rarely used. Think of it as being roughly like being in Detroit calling a black man a ni--er.

1. Triggerfish

Re: only ever used to insult women.

Depends where you are in the UK south of England is pretty commonly used and is a catch all and even a friendly matey type insult, up North though its pretty much a no no, Twats more common and does the same job.

7. Shonko Kid
    Gimp

Perhaps a change in film style

They could portray the whole thing in 1st person perspective, as if the viewer were seeing the events from jobs' eyes. CGI in actual Jobs footage for any wide angle shots, and hey-presto!

1. The Vociferous Time Waster

Re: Perhaps a change in film style

So a fruity peep show

Gordon Freeman with anger issues?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It could be the 'KILLER APP' for Oculus Rift?

3. king of foo

...you mean like google glass?

<rotating noise from coffin>

8. Khaptain Silver badge

Jobs is not God, Apple is not heaven.

Is there really nothing more worthwhile to make movies about. From what is normally gleemable form the web, Jobs was a terrible person to work for, he is certainely not in my personal book of a role-figures...

1. disgruntled yank

Re: Jobs is not God, Apple is not heaven.

I would not cross the room to get the remote to switch to such a movie, but come on. Maybe the Khaptain can fill us in on the redeeming virtues of Tamerlane, Coriolanus, etc. etc.

(Of course, if was Tamerlane written by Aaron Sorkin, probably I wouldn't watch that either.)

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

What disgruntled said. Films are more interesting if the protagonist isn't an unalloyed saint.

2. Semtex451
      Headmaster

"not in my personal book of a role-figures"

Neither is your English teacher, it seems

3. Amorous Cowherder
      Pint

Yes there are but if you need to pump $50m minimum into a movie you need to guarantee a return or you won't get no funding to start with. That's why Hollywood is stagnating like a fetid pond on a Summer's day, no one will take a risk on a script that might not recoup at least 2x the asking price.

Jobs was an arsehole, no doubt about that but that's why he's perfect cinema material. The saintly uncle like figure to most with the nasty streak who screwed over his best mate, dumped his pregnant girlfriend and denied the existence of his daughter for many years just to make sure his billion dollar fortune was made and secured, only for it all to end with something all his money and fame could never fix for him. It's almost spot-on perfect second rate drivel spewed from the lowest Hollywood screenwriter's copy of Word ( or more likely Pages as they all use Macs! ).

9. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

RE : Jobs is not God, Apple is not heaven.

To be honest I chose to not cross a room to watch The Social Network, but ended up watching it by mistake on a flight anyway - and very much enjoyed it.

1. TechicallyConfused

Re: RE : Jobs is not God, Apple is not heaven.

Yes but in fairness "Social Network" did correctly portray Zucks and a complete shit-wipe.

2. disgruntled yank

Re: RE : Jobs is not God, Apple is not heaven.

TSN was amusing. But it had essentially nothing to do with technology, except by making programming appear to be a party game like Beer Pong, played at high blood alcohol levels. Mostly it was about shady business deals, a subject that Hollywood knows all about, and which makes for much better drama than writing virtual machines for PHP. (Yes, I know that came later.)

10. Yugguy

These "biopics" never interest me

Because lets face it, unless you had a hidden camera following the subject for his entire life it's basically just made-up 3rd-hand bollocks.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: These "biopics" never interest me

>Because lets face it, unless you had a hidden camera following the subject for his entire life it's basically just made-up 3rd-hand bollocks.

Yeah, but then David Lean's 'Lawrence of Arabia' was a very good film, yet still it differed from T.E Lawrence's book... which itself might have differed from reality at points, and certainly diverged from common syntax.

I think people watching the film will, like you Yugguy, be aware that is not a documentary.

11. Haku
    Mushroom

I'll only watch it if Michael Bay directs it

Because icon ------------------->

12. Kimo

I see what you did there...

Batman Begins ... Christian Bale ... inception ... Leonardo DiCaprio

1. king of foo

Re: I see what you did there...

Hmmm... Slight twist, how about Leonardo DiCaprio... what's eating Gilbert grape... Johnny depp!

...and Tim Burton.

13. Elmer Phud

Matt Damon!

Fuck yeah!

Fuck no. He would probably start ranting about genocided Guatemalan campesinos mid-way through, to be solved with the usual recipe.

2. Haku

He should play Steve Jobs in a parody version called

"How Do You Like Them Apples?"

1. Triggerfish

mind the oranges Marlon

http://mind-the-oranges-marlon.blogspot.co.uk/

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

"Apple sauce, bitch!"

- Ben Affleck in "Good Will Hunting 2: Hunting Season'... sorry, i meant 'Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnESedN4vSI

2. Vic

mind the oranges Marlon

"Nuh muh..."

Vic.

1. OzBob

Are you saying

that Alan Moore should write the Jobs bio script in a "DR & Quinch" style? because that I would pay money to see!

1. Triggerfish

Re: Are you saying

Well him or Torquetto Jubbli.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They didn't get the actor they wanted,

they'll get the one they deserve.

15. Bottle_Cap

Now I for one...

Would prefer a biopic of the start of crApple - the Apple I and II etc when I actually had some respect for them...

/awaits downvote frenzy

1. Matt Piechota

Re: Now I for one...

"Would prefer a biopic of the start of crApple - the Apple I and II etc when I actually had some respect for them..."

Pirates of Silicon Valley (1999).

16. psychonaut

5 second film ?

fade in (on an apple, obviously, although not the beatles apple, coz that would be copyright infringement probably. well, its apple after all, maybe it wouldnt)

some clouds...aka simpsons...

a man......with a halo drifts into view obscured by a ball of white light with a bite taken out of the side

light gets brigther...fills the whole screen...

then....deep, booming voice "and so the entire world of tech was invented, BEFORE TIME ITSELF, thus allowing us to invent EVERYTHING before anyone else. mwahahahahaha!"

fin

maybe an outtake where bill gates is crushed to death by an apple, or kicked in the balls by jack black "so now this is happening"

fuck knows.

can i have 50 million billion dollars to make it now please?

17. Jeff Lewis

It's official - there have and will be more movies about Jobs than Jesus.

Still most of the Jobs ones have been as good as "Left Behind"... (which, on the subject of Apple and Jobs, I'm glad to have been...)

18. i like crisps

What a pity...

...i mean, Bale has only got 2 expressions: BLANK & STARTLED...would've been perfect really.

1. Havin_it

Re: What a pity...

You forgot "doing hard sums", he gets a lotta mileage out of that one.

19. DainB Bronze badge

If someone considered DiCaprio and Damon to play Jobs they should also consider Devito, just because they all are so look alike.

20. Rusty 1

Apples are not the only fruit

Perhaps with a walk on part for Peter Capaldi, to ensure utterly and sustained fruity language.

21. PhilipJ

can we have Adam Sandler please ?

The movie is going to be a disaster anyway, might as well up the game a bit.

22. lone_wolf

They should get Peter Jackson to make it into a three part trilogy.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

new director

They should get Peter Jackson to make it into a Trilogy.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like