back to article Verizon and AT&T sitting in a tree, V-o-L-T-E: Duo vow to hookup by 2015

Verizon and AT&T are lashing together their voice-over-LTE (VoLTE) networks in the US – so people on Verizon can make high-quality calls and video chats to those on AT&T, and vice versa. The telco pair – America's largest US mobile carriers – confirmed in a joint statement on Monday that they're hoping to complete the hookup …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

B-o-L-T-E'M

This sounds like an attempt at lock-in standards by bolting down customers in VoIP, which I wasn't aware needed such things ADDED. I assume they figure why work with open standards, when you can force them into closed ones? Somehow I feel this is to justify higher rates while lowering operating costs, otherwise they are just bluntly ignoring the "IP" in VoIP.

Yeh I'm a little pessimistic, but AT&T and Verizon are part to blame for that. Either way I can't wait for that HD VOICE !!!! MMMmmm, just when I couldn't make a burp from a bump.

2. roger stillick
    Facepalm

get rid of legacy audio ?? ( it's free nowdays)...

Here in the USA, AT&T, GSM + Lte, and Verizon, CDMA + Lte, can get together on a premium Lte service...both win, customers may get high quality echo-free audio, but unfortunately customers are going to end up paying data rate for PTSN calls (technical term is hosed).

Actual TV channels imbed stereo audio within their video stream...this won't be happening here as it can't be charged for...or wanted as wireline video is very expensive so Actual TV is mostly p-p dish n sky stuff.

IMHO= we were promised video phones 30-40 years ago, it didn't happen in any way someone could just use it... hopefully this is a start of cost efficient videophone 2.0 (it could happen), at not too premium a price...RS.

1. Charles 9

Re: get rid of legacy audio ?? ( it's free nowdays)...

"...but unfortunately customers are going to end up paying data rate for PTSN calls (technical term is hosed)."

And this is any different from a SkypeOut or SIP call HOW? In any event, many customers get data allotments in their plans, so this isn't as big a deal as it's being made out to be. Furthermore, this helps hasten the retirement of 2G and eventually 3G circuit-switched networks which frees up their spectrum to use with the more-efficient LTE.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Any way to tell where VoLTE is deployed by either network?

Or tell in some way on your phone if the cell tower you are currently connected to supports it?

4. tempemeaty
    Joke

Verizon gets a Death Star

Yeah, about that AT&T logo...

Hows that for an alternate title.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like