back to article 'Life in Mexico City is like a Simpsons episode, with worse trains'

Tomorrow is Monday, which means another day in the office. Because we know some of you can't bear the thought of doing that again, each Sunday we bring you The eXpat Files, in which a Reg reader shares their experience of moving to another nation to pursue their career, and find interesting local snacks. This week's volunteer …

1. midcapwarrior

They work 50 hours a week

IT workers working 50 hour weeks.

Surprised the citizens have risen in protest in support of the proletariat

1. foo_bar_baz

Re: They work 50 hours a week

50h is a big difference when compared with Sweden or other Nordics, i.e. ~37.5h per week.

2. dogged

Don't come to the UK, Hector. You'll find shitty project management, rain, unfriendly people and at least 50 hours per week along with no "other cultures" within easy reach unless you count Golder's Green or Leicester.

I'm glad you're happy. Stay happy. Don't come to the UK.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Come to the UK

No need to work at all. Free benefits. Free housing. Free health care. Have a baby quick and stay for life. Free schooling. No need to contribute anything. Enjoy us at the expense of the hard working broke majority.

1. dogged

Re: Come to the UK

Bloody hell, I didn't know Nigel Farage posted here.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Which part of the statement is untrue?

1. dogged
          Mushroom

The part where you imply any of that could remotely be construed as "enjoyable".

You MUST attend JobCentre so that they can "help" you get a job.

You MUST attend interviews they arbitrarily assign to you.

All your benefits will be revoked if you fail to meet a JobCentre appointment.

Even if the reason you don't attend is because you are attending a mandatory job interview that they arranged.

You will then starve for six to twelve weeks while they decide whether you deserve to eat food or not.

None of this shit is enjoyable and it's not exactly an IT wage either. I much prefer having a job. So does everyone else. Yes, there is a safety net. It's not a good safety net and I hope you like Food Bank food if you're recommending it. Don't pretend it's a fucking holiday and do not even dream of suggesting that people come to UK for outstanding unemployment benefits.

They go to Germany and the Netherlands for those because they, unlike you, are not idiot racist Little Englanders.

Can we have a "die in a fire" icon, please?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Are you an idiot or just a silly stirrer? I suspect you have never been there and never had to go on the dole. UK has the worst pensions in Europe, pitiful unemployment or other benefits and a miserable, punitive and envious attitude to those who, for whatever reason, are out of work, ill, elderly and not London financiers, preferably not British.

It's a beautiful country with, outside London and the right wing media, some of the nicest and most tolerant people. Sadly, they hate politics and let the worst of the worst run the country into the ground for the sake of American big business (British big business seems to be tolerated just as long as it takes to sell to an American).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like