back to article Remote code execution flaws fixed in tnftp and wget

The maintainer of the tnftp FTP client has patched a remote code execution vulnerability which affected operating systems including NetBSD, FreeBSD and Mac OS X. The flaw (CVE-2014-8517), which did not affect OpenBSD due to modifications, was patched over the weekend. Maintainer Luke Mewburn notified NetBSD (which ships tnftp …

1. asdf
    Mushroom

OpenBSD ftw

>The flaw (CVE-2014-8517), which did not affect OpenBSD due to modifications

Never see that huh? OpenBSD 5.6 just dropped and I just can't stand to see the cancer that is systemd devouring my beloved Debian testing any more. OpenBSD daily driver coming next time I get some free time. Also the more I use FVWM the more I realize the last decade has been nothing but bloat in the WM/DE space.

2. saif

Boilerplate reply

These days, acknowledgement of a vulnerability is one step away from admission of liability. Commercial OS distributors that use/depend on borrowed code have a flexible view of responsibility for the vulnerabilities, that allows them that to say "It's not that serious folks" while the community cures the problem for them.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: Boilerplate reply

Meanwhile, at least in the US, that boilerplate response *opens* them to liability, as they've been informed and appear to have ignored the warning. Any client using their OS and experiencing damage now can claim harm caused by negligence on the part of crApple.*

*Full disclosure, I'm typing this on my favorite notebook, a MacBook Pro, which I am amazingly frustrated as to have had to compile and replace my ShellShock vulnerable computer *long* before crApple got around to it. I expect a *lot* better than that, lest I begin to think that crApple is taking lessons from Microsoft.

#*@&!!!!!!!!!

3. psychonaut

wtf is a boilerplate response?

anyone? bueller?

1. g00se

Re: wtf is a boilerplate response?

How about something like "It's not that serious folks" ?

2. Paul Kinsler

typically, a standardized response with little or no new content.

3. borg95

See the link:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=boilerplate+reply

4. Irongut

It probably says something like "Thank-you for your interest in in the security of Apple products. Apple products are made from powdered unicorn horn mixed with pureed fairy and have no security flaws."

1. razorfishsl

Actually you missed the

"Apple takes security very seriously"

line…..

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

"Apple takes security very seriously"

Whilst relying upon *BSD to fix the flaw, then washing the fix through 37973 departments...

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"You're transferring it wrong."

Or something.

6. jubtastic1
      Trollface

Thank you for your question, It has been forwarded to the relevent department.

This is an automated response, replies will neither be received or acknowledged.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like