back to article Dub pioneer Rupie Edwards' Ire Feelings – 40 years on

Phil Strongman reveals the bizarre true story of how the first real musical fusion of technology and culture ended up coming from the Third World. Youtube Video In late 1974, out of nowhere, the first dub hit anywhere in the world leapt into the UK Top Ten. Upon its release that autumn, Rupie Edwards’ innovatory Ire Feelings …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

"The first real musical fusion of technology"

Not really the first fusion. There was the collaboration of Les Paul, Bing Crosby and Ampex in the 50s: Multi-track recording pioneers. I'm sure there were others.

1. Fun Fun

Re: "The first real musical fusion of technology"

Remember that Bach guy fiddling with his analogic organ.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. emmanuel goldstein

NOSTALGIA

fantastic article. I love dub reggae and have never heard of Rupie Edwards. Life is so unjust. The best are often unacknowledged.

Lived in Dalston (Sandringham Road) in the 90s - can't go there now.

L - A - B - Y - R - I - N - T - H

Oi, Oi

4. Jan 0 Silver badge

Thanks for the excellent history.

The Slits introduced me to Dub. RIP Ari Up. I wish I'd known about Rupie Edwards 40 years ago, but I'll make sure I let him know how pleased I am next time I'm in Dalston.

5. Graham Lockley

>I love dub reggae and have never heard of Rupie Edwards

That makes me feel so old.

Not a Dub afficianado but Ire was one of those records when you knew you were hearing something new.

6. Paddy
    Thumb Up

Go Deh!

Growing up in the seventies seemed weird to me; on the one hand you had open racism against "Jamaicans" - that was the supposedly polite word used by some racist politicians when on TV; but you also got the white kid, just as poor as you, that seeks you out to try and learn more about that weird infectious music they had heard.

The music, Dub & Reggae was an integrating force. It allowed friendships to be forged across the playground, across races. (The cricket crushed arguments of *racial* superiority ;-)

7. Elmer Phud

Drum and Bass

There were also very bare dubs - usually B sides - with mainy drum and bass plus a touch of other bits now and then. The labels were usually marked 'Drum and Bass'.

And the 'rules' of DubStep where repeats are exactly like a Space Echo - plus the drop.

But you try telling that to youngsters these days . . .

1. tony2heads

@Elmer Phud

I feel a touch of the 4 Yorkshiremen coming on

8. Muad'Dib
    Alert

Huh? What about Lee Perry?

I don't doubt that there was a common undercurrent amongst the various producers and studios at the time and that they inspired each other. But I was always under the impression that Lee 'Scratch' Perry was first to the post with "Upsetters 14 Dub Blackboard Jungle" in 1973? Then there's also Keith Hudson's seminal "Pick a Dub" in 1974. Let's open this can of worms further...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon