back to article Pirate Bay co-founder jailed for three years after massive CSC hack attack

The Pirate Bay co-founder Gottfrid Svartholm Warg was banged up for three and a half years on Friday. The jail term comes after the 30-year-old was found guilty of hacking charges by a court in Denmark on Thursday. Warg and an unnamed, 21-year-old accomplice hacked into the mainframe of American tech outfit CSC, which was …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Works for me

This slimeball is getting off easy with just a three year prison sentence.

1. Graham Marsden
      Childcatcher

Re: Works for me

Yes, we should bring back Hanging, Drawing and Quartering...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Graham Marsden
        WTF?

Apart from the AC OP, did two other people *really* miss the sarcasm?

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Some countries still sever the hands of thieves and it has an amazing impact in reduction of theft. Hanging certainly has a place and it would be very appropriate for TPB crims who have a long history of crimes. Three strikes in some countries places you in the slammer for the rest of your rotten life. The more evil people removed from society, the better. If that can be expedited and permanent, all the better.

1. Graham Marsden
          Facepalm

The Daily Mail forums are over there ->

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hacking CSC?

There are many people in the NHS who would question whether that was a crime.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hacking CSC?

Reading their website you'd think it hadn't happened.

Nothing but hard sell telling folk how they need security etc.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So there are lots of European government organisations having their sensitive data hosted in America? Nice.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CSC Deserves What They Got.

CSC would like you to think that master-minds are behind their attack, but CSC's security record is crap. Many years ago I emailed a VP @ CSC, that their AD Domain "TCE" was world accessible, no FW in front of it. TCE stands for Training Center of Excellence, in Newport News, VA.

They had one of their "CISSP" employees contact me and get the details. Well, done.

Fuck CSC.

1. king of foo

Re: CSC Deserves What They Got.

It's far easier to criminalise people for exposing your weaknesses than to address those weaknesses. It's also a good idea to mask your ineptitude by claiming the perpetrators are a tiny number/faction of evil geniuses. Then you give this small group of "enemies" a catchy name. It's a tactic governments throughout the world have used to great effect since time immemorial and recently big business has latched onto the practice. It's particularly effective when the subject at hand is complicated or "private" and your average Joe doesn't know anything about it.

1. Felix Krull
        Facepalm

Re: CSC Deserves What They Got.

It's far easier to criminalise people for exposing your weaknesses than to address those weaknesses.

Reminds me of an anecdote from when Richard Feynman was working in Los Alamos during the war. He spend a lot of his time cracking their safes to prove how lax the security was, and as a result, the personnel was instructed not to let Feynman near the safes.

5. Ole Juul

Why not just call it cyberwarfare?

Then at least it would be legal. No? Or perhaps there are several standards at play here.

6. raving angry loony

Trust?

Only goes to show how low governments have fallen in my "trust" dept when the first thing that comes to mind is "yeah, his computer probably was pwned. By some government organization who wanted to shift blame to an easy target.". Meh, hardly matters any more. Governments lie to us. Corporations lie to us. Even the bloody cops lie to us these days. Good luck figuring the "good guys" from the "bad guys" in cases like this.

7. Waffa

just 3 years.. lucky actually

you know there is much more serious offences one can get JUst for staling money and (looking from Sam point of view) they did clearly something more then this..... hey 3 years, actually really lucky case and they had to had good deal that they got so little, think logically.

its rare they get guys like that from bare handed and by far on news they are not saying their adventures starting from teen-dom

If they got record you wanking somewhere.. they will keep it.. can be used perhaps for some kind of interrogation combination

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like