back to article So long, thanks for all the ...er, FISH BRIGHTER than boffins thought

Smug humans tend to think fish are the stupidest of all beasties. But that belief has turned out to be a load of barnacles after boffins revealed the true intellect of our fishy friends. Researchers from the University of Bath joined forces with London's Queen Mary University to work out how zebrafish perceive their deep sea …

1. Anonymous Blowhard

Further proof (if required)

I've never seen one buy a lottery ticket either.

2. Denarius
    Pint

no surprise to me

After stalking fish stalking me around reefs in tropical waters in my well spent spear fishing youth I was amazed how hard it could be to fool some of the fish, some of the time. Bit like humans really...

A beer for the restraint in fish puns to editor and author. Note for the soft of heart, some of those fish had big teeth and were over 2 meters long. One was closer to 4 and tried to bite.

1. wikkity

Re: no surprise to me

Was going to ask which finger they bit until I realised I miss read what you said and they don't bite like humans.

2. Refugee from Windows

Re: no surprise to me

My brother in law trained his fish with the remote control from the telly. Obviously as they started to connect a flashing infra red light to food, you could point it at the tank and the fish would respond.

3. John H Woods Silver badge

I had zebra fish ...

... in a tank opposite the telly --- they would get fed when the evening's telly was over. When the telly went off, up they all came to the surface; I swear some of them even learned to recognize the tell tale signs of the cast-list going up before I even hit the off button.

Even C. a. auratus are certainly a long way from the "Holy Carp! When did I get a castle?" stereotype.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Facepalm

Re: I had zebra fish ...

Damn, the days of comparing my wife's memory to that of a goldfish are done.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You can train most fish, even Goldfish.

just before feeding, tap the same place each time and put the food there, after a while they will swim towards the tapping every time.

They are not that stupid.

3. Nigel 11

Apparently even amoebae can learn to associate correlated stimuli. That's pretty good going for a monocellular organism without anything we can recognise as a nervous system.

Can any fish scale the heights that "mere" invertebrates have managed? Last night on TV, watched an octopus gather up two half coconut shells, put one on each side of itself, and pull them together to make a secure home. Found tool use, using unnatural entities dropped by human beings from above. We've not been chopping coconuts in half with machetes for very long, so it can't be instinctive ... and octopuses have only a couple of years of life in which to learn anything.

Perhaps, though, it's an unfair comparison. If an octopus is the most advanced mollusc, then shouldn't a human be seen as the most advanced fish (ie, vertebrate).

1. TheOtherHobbes

Octopus intelligence is terrifyingly sharp. They are very, very, smart.

Luckily for us they only live for a couple of years, and land adaptation is unlikely.

So we're safe for now.

1. Nigel 11

and adaptation is unlikely

Although I did read about an octopus being kept in a marine biology lab, that handled brief spells in air rather well. The lab had a problem with fish disappearing from a tank. They rigged up a camera to catch the thief. The next night they watched their octopus lift the lid off its tank, walk across the lab to the fish tank, catch a fish, walk back to its tank, and pull the lid back over itself from the inside.

Molluscs have, of course, successfully colonised the land. (Slugs. Yeuch! ) Fortunately for us, no long-lived intelligent ones with tentacles. Not yet. Give them another fifty million years ....

1. Anomalous Cowshed

If they could live for longer and travel on land, or worse, in the air, then they might indeed supersede humanity. There is in fact already one intelligent octopus-like Being with tentacles, or Noodly Appendages, as they are known among his priests. Fortunately, it is benevolent to us lesser mortals.

2. Triggerfish

Re: I had zebra fish ...@Nigel11

There seems to be some evidence that a few species of fish have limited tool use, they also think they may have found play behaviour in some fish. If you have ever dived a reef that has Titan triggerfish on them they can be pretty darn sneaky in doing things like distracting divers whilst another sneaks in for attack.

4. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Fish swim in schools...

But the common wisdom has it that schools are becoming less effective.

So will fish become less smart (or just less well qualified)?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

FISH BRIGHTER than boffins thought

Perhaps they should use dimmer lights when looking at them??

"Visual" Joke Alert.

(I know, I need to get out more).

6. Alister

I don't know why we assume fish and other species have less mental processing ability.

Visual acuity is surely the absolute overriding method of self preservation from predators, particularly for fish, and therefore evolutionary pressure would obviously mean that fish nowadays are very good at it.

This is not, however, what I would call a convincing yard stick for measuring "intelligence", which to me is more about abstract thought.

1. ravenviz Silver badge
      Trollface

Re:

The wheel, New York, wars, etc.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Re:

Whilst all the fish have ever done, is swimming around in the ocean having a good time.

7. Goldmember

Many people who have kept fish

... have known that fish aren't as stupid as is commonly believed. The 7 second memory thing in goldfish is bollocks, too.

When I kept them in the past, at first they'd always be timid and hide behind the ornaments whenever I disturbed the water. But as time went on, they'd recognize the blue tub of goldfish flakes and go crazy whenever I picked it up and held it near the tank. I even had a few that would eat the food from my hand when I held it at the top of the water.

8. lawndart

asks

Are zebra fish attracted to barcodes?

9. Will Godfrey Silver badge

Fish get bored and like to play

A friend of mine used to have a large fish pond in his garden. He used to put half submerged pastic bottles in it (to protect against freezing in the winter), then couldn't be bothered to take them out again. During the summer months the fish started to nudge them about the pond, sometimes two or three cooperating.

1. Allan George Dyer
      Holmes

Re: Fish get bored and like to play

Or were they feeding on the algae growing on the bottles?

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge

Re: Fish get bored and like to play

Nope.

We thought of that, and the fish are just as keen to move around a freshly placed bottle in pristine condittion.

10. messele

Deep Sea?

"Researchers from the University of Bath joined forces with London's Queen Mary University to work out how zebrafish perceive their deep sea surroundings."

They probably perceive them as a tad cold, dark and salty seeing as Danio are a temperate freshwater species...

1. Allan George Dyer
      Headmaster

Re: Deep Sea?

Demonstrating the importance of using scientific names. Yes, Danio rerio is freshwater (Himalayan), and so is Percina kathae (North American), but Pterois volitans (Australian) is marine - though coral reef, not deep sea. So which was it, and did Dr Proulx et al really do the experiment deep-sea?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like