back to article Seth Rogen bags Woz role in Sorkin's Steve Jobs biopic

It looks like beardy funnyman Seth Rogen will take on the role of Steve Wozniak in the second biopic of Apple guru Steve Jobs, which has Batman actor Christian Bale slated to take the lead role. Seth Rogen and Steve Wozniak That's Rogen on the left and Woz on the right Bearded Rogen will play the bearded Woz, sources have …

1. Alister

How many bio-pics do we really need of the same person?

He's not (despite El-Reg's editorial team) a saint, or a famous general or politician, he didn't (despite popular perception) invent anything, he was just a successful business man, occasionally. He was also spectacularly unsuccessful on occasion.

1. sisk

I'm about as far from a fan of Jobs as you can get without completely discounting his accomplishments, but you're taking it a bit too far. True enough that he didn't invent anything, but he did provide the inspiration that led to improvements in an number of products. Tablets are a perfect example. Tablet PCs were a failed technology that had fallen into a niche market that conventional wisdom said no one with an ounce of common sense would touch with a ten foot pole. Jobs saw potential and guided the engineers to develop the iPad. Because of that one move we now have mobile computing as we know it. He may not have invented the digital music player, but the iTunes store was a huge step towards the acceptance of digital music by the music industry. We'd have gotten there eventually, but I honestly feel that iTunes helped get us there faster.

The man wasn't an engineer, true. His talents lay in other directions. He had a knack for seeing how to improve upon things in such a way that people would buy them. It's unfortunate that he was also very greedy and a bit of a wanker, but that doesn't diminish his genius in any way.

2. Tom 13

Shouldn't Rogen and Bale

switch roles?

3. Hoagiebot
    Stop

There was already an absolutely excellent bio-pic on Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniac (with a little bit of Bill Gates thrown in for good measure), and that was the made-for-TV movie "Pirates of Silicon Valley" that was released by Turner Network Television in 1999. I enjoyed it so much that I bought it on DVD and still watch it regularly. You can see the Wikipedia page for the film here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirates_of_Silicon_Valley

Noah Wyle and Joey Slotnick did excellent portrayals of Jobs and Wozniak respectively in the film, and despite being only a made-for-TV movie it was very well done and very compelling to watch. I say just hunt down a copy of this film from somewhere and call it a day-- I can't imagine any film involving Seth Rogen in any capacity as being any better.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Pirates of Silicon Valley

I also bought a US DVD of this movie, Steve Jobs thought enough of it to ask Noah Wyle to open for him at an Apple keynote as his younger self.

I like the way they show the start of Microsoft and Bill Gates et al getting started too, the competition between Apple and Microsoft in the early years is a much more interesting story than just Apple or Jobs, plus young Bill Gates in that movie was way more entertaining as a character, both unsanitary geek and Machiavellian schemer.

Macworld NY 1999-Noah Wyle imitating Steve Jobs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIClAanU7Os

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

PoSV would make an excellent prequel for the upcoming Jobs IMO.

4. i like crisps
    Trollface

"and.....CUT!"

I suppose, the scenes where Wosniak solders things to a circuit board will be funnier now?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Is the movie going to end with Woz's stint on "Dancing With the Stars"?

I'd like to see Rogen do the cha-cha!!

6. RainForestGuppy

Well Done

I couldn't think of anything worse than a film about Steve Jobs.

But a film about Steve Jobs starring Seth Rogen......

Good luck as the Razzies

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Well Done

The good news is - we are making a major Holywood motion picture about your life

The bad news is - Seth Rogen is the best person to play you .....

7. DToma

Steve Jobs

I watched Jobs with Ashton Kutcher as Steve Jobs. While he did okay in the role, the best film about Steve Jobs was The Pirates of Silicon Valley. Noah Wylie had all of Steve Jobs movements and mannerisms down pat. At the time, he even bore a striking physical resemblance to Steve Jobs.

I'm not sure if another Steve Jobs movie is really needed, though. RIP Steve Jobs.

8. montyburns56
    Paris Hilton

Jessica Chastain

"Jessica Chastain is a possibility for the movie, although what role she would play remains a mystery" Token love interest I should imagine.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like