Spot the difference

This topic was created by DaveK .

1. DaveK

Spot the difference

Guess which one of these comments was blocked by the mods, and which one was posted (on today's article about Tor):

Comment #1:

I don't think the author is particularly well informed, especially with regard to terminology. Starting with the (admittedly trivial) fact that Tor is a name, and properly capitalized as such, despite its acronymic origins.

But more importantly, exit node has a specific meaning, and it most definitely doesn't refer to "every user". It's also 100% incorrect that everyone using Tor automatically shares bandwidth, either as an exit node (i.e. a gateway to the normal internet) or otherwise. You have to specifically turn on sharing if you want to help out.

The article seems confused about the JS exploit incident too. The exploit was specifically inserted in hidden service websites hosted by Freedom Hosting (which incidentally included legitimate sites like webmail service). So I'm not sure in what sense it could be "not aimed at Freedom Hosting". And then in the second paragraph down it starts talking about exit nodes again, when hidden services like these don't use exit nodes.

Comment #2:

I'm afraid the description of Tor (not TOR, just to be pedantic) in the article is somewhat confused.

No, not every user is an exit node. You only become an exit node if you specifically configure your Tor installation to be one. In fact, in the standard configuration for end-users, you are neither an exit node, nor an entry node, nor even a middle-man relay. You are solely a client that connects to entry nodes and you send and receive only your own traffic.

There are other inaccuracies and mis-statements in the article, but I'm posting this from a tablet and don't want to write a long response on a soft keyboard, so maybe I'll follow up later from something with a real keyboard.

(Hint: it's not the one that was worded to avoid personal attacks on the author.)

For bonus points, explain how El Reg's comment policy justifies this decision, and how anyone could know in advance what they will or will not be allowed to post.

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Spot the difference

In fact neither of those was posted, looking through your comment history. One of them is sat in the pre-moderation queue, while the other simply seems not to exist.

Outrage level 1/10, show again spittle-flecked mouth.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon