back to article Verizon bankrolls tech news site, bans tech's biggest stories

Telecoms giant and proud defender of the third estate, Verizon, has entered the media market on its own, bankrolling a new tech news site, SugarString. There is a small catch, however. According to one reporter who says he was approached to work for the site, writers for SugarString are banned from reporting on or even …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

I'm really not sure who I hate the most.

My choices for organisations I hate the most are, cue drum roll...

1. Governments

2. Telcos

3. Newspapers

They all seem to be scummy lying bastards as far as I can tell.

Sometimes I hate living in this world, then I go to the pub.

1. Lars Silver badge
      Happy

Re: I'm really not sure who I hate the most.

Keef, cheer up. For no Governments, Telcos and Newspapers try Somalia for instance, and hating the world going to the pub doesn't compute.

2. Neoc

And this is different from Fox News exactly how?

1. Tom 35

Fox?

Fewer blonds, no stories about how bad skeletally clad girls are with lots of pictures so you can see how bad they are.

Well for now anyway.

1. Fibbles
        WTF?

Re: Fox?

skeletally clad girls

2. Wade Burchette
      FAIL

"And this is different from Fox News exactly how?"

(Facepalm) And you think the other news outlets are better? (Another facepalm) If you cannot see that every news outlet has an agenda, then you deserve to be manipulated. I don't watch Fox News or get my news from Rupert Murdoch sources. But I am also smart enough not to get my news from the other cable news outlets either. I still don't fully understand why Fox News generates so much hate for doing the exact same thing the others do.

1. Eddy Ito

I still don't fully understand why Fox News generates so much hate for doing the exact same thing the others do.

Simple, if the news site in question goes with your particular flow then it's fine. I suspect Fox just rubs some folks the wrong way. I've taken to looking at news shows as performance art with an air of situational comédie noire.

2. Neoc

Good lord man, learn to spot sarcasm...

3. Blofeld's Cat
    Coat

They need a snappy tag line...

How about "Biting Gently muzzling up to the hand that feeds IT"

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Neither Verizon nor SugarString has responded to The Register's request for comment"

So that's three things verboten, then.

5. as2003

You forgot one

* Verizon are inserting unique identifier token headers (UIDH) into mobile traffic, regardless of whether you opted out or not.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/27/verizon_wireless_token_tracker_triggers_tech_transparency_tempest/

6. CrazyLikeAFox

If you build it, they will...um....

I'm not sure I follow here.... Verizon build it, so it gets ignored.....?

With a number of sites already catering to the market (including this one) what is the logic I am missing about why IT people (who generally happen to care about the two verboten subjects) would choose to use the site over something else? What makes this site unique or desirable to visit?

Can't wait to see what the trolls gets up to on there though. That could get fun. Wait, maybe that's the selling point - seeing what the trolls can say to hurt Verizons feelings.

7. Mark 85

Interesting disclaimer on the site.

These articles were written by authors contracted by Verizon Wireless. The views expressed on SugarString may not necessarily reflect those of Verizon Wireless.

I'm betting all the views expressed WILL reflect those of Verizon. Hmppffff... "may not"... hahahha

1. CrazyLikeAFox

Re: Interesting disclaimer on the site.

I'm betting all the views expressed WILL reflect those of Verizon.

Not necessarily. It also gives them a good place to air out a potential new thing to try (see: taxing downloads like Hungary proposes) and gives them enough deniability to say "Oooh no, we didn't write that. That was written by our contracted author. My, weren't they naughty for saying that."

Cynical? Not sure what you are talking about.

8. phil dude
    Black Helicopters

censors...

this is one of the many reasons google and other search engines should not be censored...at all.

It is bad enough the news changing with every page reload, but if the $CORPS are allowed to bury news, it can lead nowhere good.

I for one, would like to see some sort of immutable index for online material - like a sort of changelog but a *proper* one, with who changed what, when, why.... Perhaps the git model for newspapers with an external party holding the source...

Call me paranoid, but with the Govts writing hidden laws, for hidden courts, all we really need to complete the set is unchallenged PR from $CORPS, and $NEWS.

P.

9. channel extended

Can't tell.....

Obviously Verizon can't tell a "sh!t string" from a "sugar string".

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Welcome to the future of news

The whole unvarnished (OK, OK slightly spun and given a polish here and there) truth, except for the bits that don't fit with our business model. Proudly brought to you by Big Business.

Humanity becomes easier to detest with every passing second.

1. dan1980

Re: Welcome to the future of news

@AC

What's this 'future' business?

2. (AMPC) Anonymous and mostly paranoid coward
      Terminator

Re: Welcome to the future of news

Hmmm...

A quick google on "sugarstring" indicates that the Streisand effect is alive and well.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

Bet

How long before the tech news on Verizon phones is a locked to the main screen app? All part of the services.

12. Gotno iShit Wantno iShit
    Happy

What a simply lovely article 'Reg, bravo. I'm going to have a certain tune by Messrs A-Trak & Van Helden looping in my head all day.

13. Velv

Could be worse

Normally there's a non disclosure clause on the existence of these types of rules, so at least we know up front what's being hidden.

Big red flashing lights and sirens pointing to "THERE'S A NEWS STORY HERE, BUT WE'RE NOT ALLOWED TO TELL YOU ABOUT IT"

1. Jonathan Richards 1

Re: Could be worse

Yeah, that's what I thought: a bastard hybrid of Fight Club and The Spanish Inquisition sketch:

"The first rule is: there are two things you must not write about: spying, and net neutrality. And SugarString's editorial policy! Three things..."

14. Mike VandeVelde
    Coat

just one question

If yourself and Mr. Andrew "limits operators’ ability to manage networks and recover costs" Orlowski ever physically cross paths, would it come to fisticuffs?

15. AbeSapian

Corporate Interference in the News?

I'm shocked, SHOCKED to discover there's gambling going on here.

1. Frosted Flake

Re: Corporate Interference in the News?

Your winnings, Sir.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like