back to article Sunset Overdrive: Exploding teddy bears, dragon fights and more in a tangerine blast

With every passing moment of Sunset Overdrive you can almost feel developer Insomniac Games' collective relief at it being let off the leash. It's the antithesis to the rather dowdy, oppressive affair that was Resistance. Sunset Overdrive Gang of three The evidence is there in every tangerine-coloured explosion, over-the- …

1. MJI Silver badge

My son is more bothered .......

Where is the next Ratchet and Clank game?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

the 10 Xbox One owners might be overjoyed with this

given the HUGE game drought and endless list of "better on PS4" releases.

You can bet this will end up on PS4 eventually anyway. No way can insomniac survive on Xbox One's dismal sales figures.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: the 10 Xbox One owners might be overjoyed with this

It won't, I am pretty sure it came down to IP ownership.

1. goldcd

Re: the 10 Xbox One owners might be overjoyed with this

Indeed - you think Bayonetta 2's dev are happy with their potential market of both the WiiU owners?

3. Roger B
    Thumb Up

Looks fantastic

Reviews started piling in today and apart from a couple of sites, everyone is giving it a big thumbs up, if I did not have such a back log of X360 titles to get through I would of been having the white Xbox One delivered this week, but I reckon I have at least another year of 360 gaming to get through. some of the PS3/Sony boys do seem to be a little bitter at the lack of a PS4 version, but MS took the decision to back the game when no one else would touch it, this is firmly an Xbox One exclusive and if sales are a reflection of the reviews, then the inevitable sequel as well. As for the game time, I had heard 20+ hours, not sure if that included all the side missions as well. The premise of people overdosing on an energy drink always makes me think of the Sunny 'D' scare from a few year ago about kids turning orange.

That being said, Insomniacs next game is Ratchet & Clank for the PS4, no idea of a relase date yet though, sorry MJl.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Looks fantastic

Twenty hours of gameplay? Is that normal for a console game?

1. Roger B

I guess it depends on how you play, when I completed Modern Warfare 3, I think I ran through the campaign in 6 hours, but then I went back and played it on veteran and picked up all the collectibles etc, and then the MP as well. Gears of War 3 though kept me playing for about 18 months, but that was just because I got caught up in chasing achievements. I would imagine the 20 hours is for all side missions and all collectibles. When I finally get a copy I wont be rushing through it, the map seems quite vertical and has a lot of potential for exploring.

I guess any game can be stretched out depending on your playing style.

2. Vociferous

"Twenty hours of gameplay? Is that normal for a console game?"

It's normal for all platforms today, including PC (as all PC games are ported console games). Usually they pad it by adding multiplayer.

Also normal for all platforms today is that the game largely plays itself, is heavily scripted, and that you have no freedom to decide what to do or where to go -- i.e., that it's effectively a slightly interactive movie.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Nonsense. The games I've bought recently - Civ5, Skyrim, Elite:Dangerous (on Beta), Hearts of Iron 3 - 20 hours won't even get you started. I got 250 hours out of Tropico 4 and 2,500 hours out of Skyrim (with mods).

Certainly it's true for PC games which have been ported from console.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Goddamn, if that isn't

the dumbest F'ing thing I've ever seen.

Where my Pecheneg at?

5. KjetilS

Looks awesome...

I probably would have loved this game, but as long as it's not available on PC, I will sadly have to pass...

6. RyokuMas
    Thumb Up

Finally!

An AAA title that looks like it actually has a bit of creative licence behind it - at least from a visual perspective.

1. Vociferous

Re: Finally!

"looks like it actually has a bit of creative licence behind it - at least from a visual perspective"

...by ripping off Saint's Row.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like