back to article Arrrr GOSH! Argos website goes titsup to make it EVEN BETTER

UK High Street retailer Argos, which recently made a big deal of sexing up its store, is suffering from a major online outage right now. The company coughed to the blunder just before midday by saying sorry to its customers. We’re sorry for problems you’re facing online this morning, we’re working to fix these as quick as we …

1. Semtex451
    Facepalm

It amazes me, the earth shattering comments and insight that I'm missing by not being on Twitter.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Don't worry, it is now Reg standard practise to copy / paste the comments into pretty much every article, following in the not so long tradition of "regular" news sites. It's part of the Reg Web 3.0 template, or as it used to be called, "padding".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I understand the BBC doing it - they are nothing more than a Reuters portal/press release site for current affairs these days.

But El Reg, come on...? Where is the pride, the Sneering Superiority (tm), that we, the readership, have come to love?

Seriously, though, please don't resort to a twitter-paste-fest...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That takes me back....

Argos....last thing I bought was a pair of crutches, many years ago. Moving on, back in the day when people used to actually use argos, I was always amazed by the queuing. Normal shop : buy your stuff, queue to pay, leave. Argos : queue to see one of the big nailed down catelogues, queue to pay, then queue to collect your item from collection point 'Q'. Same stuff, thrice the queues.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: That takes me back....

Clearly you haven't been there for a while.

Order online, pay at machine, pick up..yes still have to wait 5 - 10 minutes, but that's it. Or have it delivered.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: That takes me back....

'Clearly you haven't been there for a while.'

Correct sir. I never leave the safety of my fall-out shelter these days. People seem to bring the stuff I need from the interwebs, straight to my bunker. I always feel that Vitamin D is a 'nice to have' rather than an essential.

3. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Seriously?

Argos has been down all morning. Hold the front page!

Some of those twitter posts were sounding as if it was the end of the world...

It's not as if it's facebook, or email (yes, yes, i know, but some people can't go 5 minutes without their fix)

Just wait, or order that life-critical product elsewhere?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Seriously?

When the invisible man's sleepin' in your bed - Who ya gonna call?

And how are they gonna get there, if they're unable to buy their Ghostbusters costume from Argos?

This are events of earth-shattering importance!

4. auburnman

Argos seriously need to get with the times. Laminated catalogues and slow broken touchscreens aren't cutting it any more. They should have a decent Argos app and WiFi in every store so you can smoothly browse, reserve & pay with your phone whether there or at home.

Also they should be partnering with Amazon/others for the locker thing where you can have online goods delivered to a store. Their entire business is basically storing stock in a warehouse, a partnership that would bring extra revenue and footfall should be a no-brainer.

1. JDX Gold badge

My Argos has free WiFi. I can pay for stuff before I leave the house.

And they have a partnership with eBay (I think).

So they rather seem to be doing as you suggest already.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wetherspoons should have a decent app too for ordering food. The major flaw with pubs is many many people waiting for 1 or 2 people to hand them a drink. bottleneck.

1. JDX Gold badge

I'm surprised more restaurants/bars don't try the app route. Of course making sure you were ordering from the branch you were in would be important but forcing you to scan a QR "table number" code could automate that.

3. Test Man

Argos app - very decent. Far more useful to use than using a catalogue (painful to find things via the index, the search function is brilliant) and you can reserve straight from it.

Wifi - last I heard they were going to introduce the Argos app in a fixed-to-table tablet to all their stores and get rid of the catalogue altogether. Don't know how far they have gone with that (my store still has the shitty catalogue and dot-matrix-screened numberpad).

1. auburnman

Didn't know people found the Argos app useful, last time I tried it was dire; might be worth giving it another whirl. Maybe they are changing their ways after all.

5. WonkoTheSane

Site was broken yesterday

Search filtering/sorting gave zero results

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah Bless

I used to like it when it would capitalize any search term entered, I imagined it shouting the term back at me like Quasimodo.

"GAME!"

"FRIDGE!"

"CHARGER!" before skuttling off to check stock.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ah Bless

Even more bizarrely, now when you click on offers or new items, it actually enters strings like "FABULOUS DISCOUNTS ON TOP TOY LINES" into the search text and just refreshes.

7. frank ly

As everybody knows ....

... you have to take a website offline if you want to make changes to it. The more the changes, the longer it has to be offline.

1. asdf

Re: As everybody knows ....

Ancient meme but still makes me laugh is the world's most interesting man wearing a cowboy hat and saying, "I don't often test my code but when I do I do it in production. Stay on-call my friends." Why take down production when you can cowboy code lol.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nothing new here.

The Argos website goes down at about 11pm every night for several hours.

9. MyffyW Silver badge

God bless Argos, it's the only place I can reliably by bags for my Henry vacuum.

And whilst I wait for my number to come up I can browse the high quality (cough) jewellery.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Angel

Yep, long live Argos, long live LEGO 3-for-2 with online reserving!

Also they seem to uniquely have one of those Eco-Drive recharging watches with a digital display for the date, so you don't have to dick around with a dial thing every month to set it back to the 1st. Just put a bag over your head or something so you're not recognised at the Lizzy Dook counter.

11. Spacedinvader
    Alien

Kettles!

I was actually just browsing for kettles and got the error!

12. petef

Some years back I ordered an iron from Argos and reserved it for collection. When I went to the store the next day the price had been jacked up by £10. Unbeknownst to me the new catalogue had started over that night. Had I spotted that I could have had it delivered for £6 on top of the old price. I remonstrated with various people from the cashier upwards to no avail. The only result I achieved was for Argos to promote their small print to medium size. They obviously were not bothered about losing my custom.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fortunate for me

It didn't happen Monday. Needed a couple of cheapish bookshelves for keeping stuff under control. Reserved online during day. Turned up at store round 7 (nice and quiet) used self-serve terminal to confirm and pay.

Curiously, while waiting, got an automated text message from Argos telling me there was "a problem" with my reservation" (and to check my emails) even as the staff were laying it out on the counter in front of me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like