back to article Diablo boss on chipsets, ULLtraDIMM and the Netlist fracas

The Register does not endorse any particular viewpoint contained in this interview. We will update readers on the court's decisions as the case unfolds. The Netlist/Diablo lawsuit is intriguing if for no other reason than the technical depth of the topic. Diablo's Memory Channel Storage is certainly an interesting product. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm....

to be honest I like my interviews to be impartial, there are so many examples where clearly the interviewer is siding with the interviewee. Shame, for me it ruined an otherwise helpful article.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Much mudslinging! Such wow!

Reads more than a little bias to my untrained eye: the interviewer is very leading with comments such as:

"There's no other way to convert DIMM signalling into something a flash chip can use. You can't just throw a bunch of flash onto a DDR bus and say "go".

The response from Diablo is interesting before this as well, so they have are using an ASIC that is pretty much powerful enough to emulate the RD chip that Netlist is claiming has had it's IP infringed on? I'm sure it wouldn't work and possibly "basically explode" if plugged straight in, but elements of its design may be useful. Be interesting to see how it plays out indeed.

3. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

No bias, just trying to understand. I have enough knowledge of the topic to have a lot of very serious technical questions about Netlist's claims. How/why do claims around what amounts to an LRDIMM count against memory channel storage, which is - at least at first glance - completely different.

The only bit that would seem to be the same is that somewhere on those chips there is a widget that allows the CPU to "talk to" more address space than it was designed to. Address conversion, if you will. Electrically and logically you need to address flash completely differently from RAM. But at the end of the day there is still some widget that is allowing you to address more memory on that bus than you should by all rights be able to.

Now, Diablo claims that they have the rights to that particular piece of tech because they, in fact, invented it. More to the point, they claim the contract lets them use that tech. Fair enough; if that's true - and we'll see soon enough, I guess - then what is Netlist on about?

So that leads into the second round of claims: IP around battery-backed DIMMs. Unless you have a patent that basically says "we patent non-volatile memory in all forms" there's nothing similar between a battery-backed DIMM and a flash DIMM. Initial research didn't show Netlist having anything like such an overly broad patent.

Netlist borders on impossible to get hold of, but the Diablo CEO was entirely willing to have a grand old chat. Talking with him helped me understand that technical side of things a lot more, and the details around that cleared up at least some of my misunderstanding around the legal mess.

That said: there's a lot of posturing here, from both companies. From a technical standpoint, I still can't see how Netlist has much in the way of a claim, but I openly admit that the patents involved may somehow be interpreted to be more broad than my non-legal mind is capable of understanding.

The take away is that the dispute here centers around the fact that Diablo once did contract work for Netlist, and then moved on to do their own thing. Netlist feels that Diablo's "new thing" is sufficiently similar to the contract work that they once did that Diablo must clearly have used IP they own, be that inadvertently or purposefully.

Honestly, I have no idea if any of those claims will hold up, because intellectual property law isn't connected to technical realities in any way that I have yet been able to grok. But from a technical standpoint, the technologies involved are pretty far apart...with the exception of the widget that allows the CPU to address a larger address space.

Diablo claims they own the rights to it, and Netlist seems to have dropped all claims to it. So...why are they still fighting? On Netlist's side, I honestly have no idea. They will provide you canned statements about the whole thing, but not sit down and explain their reasoning. On the Diablo side, the reason is - quite clearly - pride.

The Diablo CEO is prideful. What's more, he quite clearly believes he is in the right. He will see this through because he feels strongly that Netlist is morally wrong in having wasted so much of his time and Diablo's money on this whole affair. Having talked to him, I believe that he honestly believes this.

So, I don't know about any of you, but this just keeps dragging me back to the technology side of it. The whole thing really bothers me because I just don't understand it. Is there something about my understanding of how the electrical signalling of the DRAM bus works that is inaccurate? Is my understanding of basic computer components really that flawed?

Diablo's CEO would have me believe my understanding of the gubbins of a computer is more or less correct. Netlist won't provide more than a canned explanation. For now, at least, that's the closest to "understanding" this situation as it looks like I'm going to get.

I welcome any alternative hypothesis - especially technical ones - that explain where or how Netlist has a case here. At the end of the day, all the technologies involved: LRDIMMs, NVDIMMs, Memory Channel Storage...it's all just so cool to me. The nerd in me just has to make sure he really understands how it all works.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Let's call a 'spade' a 'spade' - MCS is NVDIMM is NVvault

Like others, I agree the article presents a bias toward Badalone. You have to show more due diligence to see where Netlist is on its patents and court cases that apply in Netlist v Diablo. Saying Netlist responded with a "canned" sentence doesn't alleviate the need to report information that counters Badalone's claims.

Let's also be fair and recognize Netlist has been winning at the USPTO and in court. Big name companies have already settled (ex. TI).

It's also rather embarrassing for a CEO in the midst of being sued for IP theft to offer an interview like this and in this much detail. Badalone should choose his words more carefully because if we look closely, he's contradicting himself at least twice in the article. In addition, Badalone attempts to justify Diablo's position with what would be described as grandstanding - whereas we see the Netlist CEO is more comfortable detailing the issue in court and in the Netlist's financial filings. Take a look at the SEC website for more information on Netlist / Diablo.

Also, on a tech note, NVDIMM chipsets are all architected with flash on the DIMM. Diablo MCS is nothing more than an NVDIMM minus external supercap. Badalone is twisting the truth when he says MCS isn't an NVDIMM as the only difference between MCS and other NVDIMMs is capacity and speed.

Diablo Technologies opened their doors in 2003. Netlist opened in 2000.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Let's call a 'spade' a 'spade' - MCS is NVDIMM is NVvault

"MCS is NVDIMM is NVvault "

Explain how. Because from a technical standpoint I don't understand how at all.

NVDIMM is RAM that writes to flash only after it detects a power out event. It relies on a supplementary power source to do so.

MCS writes everything to flash immediately. It's not sitting in RAM waiting for a power off event. It goes straight to flash.

NVDIMM uses flash as emergency storage. MCS uses flash as primary storage and doesn't have an emergency storage component. They are - to my understanding at least - two completely different products with two completely different goals.

NVDIMMs are RAM modules. They behave as RAM modules. They are presented to the system as RAM modules. MCS is storage. It is presented to the system as storage...and even requires a BIOS patch to do so.

NVDIMMs are amazing and fantastic for in-memory databases, because they allow you to work at DRAM speeds, something MCS cannot do. MCS acts in a fashion very similar to PCI-E flash storage, but without the latency spikes that affect PCI-E storage at high utilization thresholds.

From practical application of the technologies right down to the nitty gritty of electrical signalling they are, to my understanding, two completely distinct products. If you claim otherwise, Please, do share how I am wrong about that fact. I like knowledge.

Next: please explain how "who opened their doors when" matters?

Also: regarding this statement: "Badalone attempts to justify Diablo's position with what would be described as grandstanding - whereas we see the Netlist CEO is more comfortable detailing the issue in court and in the Netlist's financial filings. Take a look at the SEC website for more information on Netlist / Diablo."

I both have to agree and disagree. Is Badalone grandstanding? Absolutely. But Netlist is also not answering important questions all while shedding board members. If Netlist's take on this is "please don't ask tough questions and just wait for the courts to deal with this" then that is a take I cannot sanction. The purpose of journalism is to ask the tough questions. Especially when someone doesn't want those questions asked.

Which brings me to: " Saying Netlist responded with a "canned" sentence doesn't alleviate the need to report information that counters Badalone's claims."

When I uncover any information that makes me believe for a second Netlist has a valid claim then I will gladly report on it, dissect it in detail and explain how this is likely to be a real threat to Diablo's position. I owe Diablo nothing, and care nothing for either company involved beyond gaining a deeper understanding of the technical issues and history that drives the conflict.

I am absolutely willing to do a counter interview with netlist and dive into the technical nitty gritty of their claims with them. I'd love to, in fact. For example, to understand why someone might claim that NVDIMM and MCS are "basically the same". I don't see it that way at all, and would love to be shown how I am wrong. If you know people at Netlist that can do so, please, have them contact me.

"Let's also be fair and recognize Netlist has been winning at the USPTO and in court. Big name companies have already settled (ex. TI)."

If I win a court case against someone's dog biting me, it doesn't mean that I'll win when their cat craps on my lawn. Each claim in each case is to be taken on it's own merits, no?

4. gssmith

Dec 2 injunction

i posted earlier comments. Ultimately the injunction and trial in July 2015 will tell the tale. If you follow the ongoing litigation you will see many other items including several Diablo motions being dismissed.

Also, it is somewhat mute. Once Netlist's HyperVault is released in 2015 it will supplant ULLtraDIMM anyway. It is 500x faster, much lower cost/bit and true converged memory with DRAM and Flash. How could Netlist reasonably build this if they have no knowledge of MCS or Flash?

Re: Dec 2 injunction

All good questions. I'll be sure to track down the CEO of Diablo and ask.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What is memory channel storage?

Memory channel storage is a form of non-volatile DIMM (NVDIMM) memory that retains its contents when powered down and delivers low latency, high-performance persistent storage directly on the processor bus.

http://www.computerweekly.com/feature/Flash-hits-the-motherboard-with-memory-channel-storage

Sorry, but you are incorrect. Memory Channel Storage is presented to the system as storage. It is not presented as main system memory. Memory Channel Storage is used in a similar fashion to PCI-E storage, SATA storage or other forms of premenant storage.

NVDIMMs are presented to the system as memory. They are used by the system in the same fashion it would use volatile memory, however, it doesn't go *pffft* when the lights go out. NVDIMMs don't write to flash as the primary storage medium. It writes to RAM, then dumps that RAM into flash using an external power source when it detects a power-out event.

They serve different functions and operate in a different manner. The only similarities between the two are

A) Form factor; they both use DIMMs

B) When the power goes out, their contents end up are stored in flash

Under the hood, however, the differences far outweigh the similarities. One example: MCS can be huge compared to NVDIMMs. 400GB, 800GB or more per stick. NVDIMMs use flash as an "oh shit"-class backup medium for RAM, and thus are no bigger than the RAM they back up.

In truth, in many ways, I like the NVDIMM concept better. If only because it means you can use the things bloody forever without worrying about the write life of the flash. You will obsolete the system before the flash chips in an NVDIMM need to be worried about.

MCS? Not so much. As states in the interview, Diablo uses a bunch of consumer-level sells and "black magic" maths to wear level them. How long do they last, really? Given the high price and target (ultra-low-latency databases, etc) I have all sorts of questions about their applicability, survivability, etc. I have a list of technical testing questions a mile long before I'd ever put them into any of my systems.

Not so an NVDIMM. NVDIMMs are simple and straightforward. But htye are so because the operating principles are completely different, as is their ultimate applicability.

Putting RAM with a supercap on a PCB and giving it a SATA 3 interface is closer to being "exactly like an SSD" than MCS is to being "exactly like an NVDIMM". At least the "RAM + Supercap + SATA 3 interface" and the SSD can both only be used as permanent storage.

NVDIMMs are treated by a system more like regular RAM than they are like PCI-E or SATA storage. That's the advantage of NVDIMMs. It's why they're worth buying!

Now I could be wrong - $deity knows that happens often enough - but if that is so, please explain how. For my own erudition. How, other than in the most superficial fashion, is an NVDIMM anything like MCS at all?

Thanks in advance!

1. gssmith

Yes, this is where HyperVault will provide the benefits of both of these, at a low cost per bit. If you listen to Chris Lopes' from Netlist recent presentation he talks about 1 TB of true converged memory running in the DIMM socket for a cost of $500 whereas ULLtraDIMM for 400GB of just Flash is $4000+ from IBM.

Who will reasonably but UltraDIMM? If it even survives the injunction in Dec. I think it will not have a long shelf life.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NVDIMMS

The NVDIMM is a mixed memory subsystem that combines the speed and endurance of DRAM, together with the non-volatile data retention properties of NAND flash. NVDIMMs using DRAM and NAND technology can deliver high speed and low latency "non-volatile/persistent" memory with unlimited read/write activity that can sustain itself from host power failure or a system crash.

You say NVDIMMs are battery backed DIMMs???

It's a MIXED MEMORY subsystem. WTF.....did you just forget the flash altogether?? What did you think the NV was in "NVDIMM"?

BTW - they don't use batteries. Supercapacitors are used in current NVDIMMs.

Re: NVDIMMS

"Battery backed" versus supercap is fairly irrelevant. It's an external power source.

And no, I didn't forget that flash exists on the module, but flash isn't the primary storage interface. It's the backup data retention space. There's just enough juice in the thing to dump the contents of RAM to flash. Well...you hope, anyways. There's actually been some issues with certain NVDIMM setups of these styles losing their supercaps over time (damned TiMn supercaps!) and thus not actually having the juice to fully write out the contents of the RAM before the clock strikes 12 and it turns back into a pumpkin.

NVDIMMs have a way wider use case set than MCS. NVDIMMs are used inside SSDs (well, sort of), RAID cards, modern high-RAM Hard Disks...anywhere where you might have RAM in use for high-speed storage, but require non-volatile storage if the lights go out.

MCS isn't that. MCS is a means of hijacking the DRAM bus to provide a jumped-up version of PCI-E storage. It isn't main system memory, or even main memory for a subcomponent (like a RAID card). It's secondary (or permanent) memory. Like a PCI-E or SATA SSD.

To be more concrete:

NVDIMMs are the sort of thing you put in your RAID card so that you can have 1GB or 2GB of fast DRAM cache on on your RAID card that accelerates your array. When the power goes out, the DRAM would dump it's contents to a flash backup. When the power comes back on, it would load that data from flash, then flush it back out to the disks.

MCS is more akin to the disks that would hang off that RAID card and serve as permanent storage.

If I were designing the ultimate in "bitching systems of the future", I would use NVDIMMs as my computer's main memory and MCS as permanent storage. I could run my databases in-memory without fear, and store my operating system, application, and long-term storage in the MCS modules.

...and now I want to go build a system like that. Hot damn that sounds sexy.

This topic is closed for new posts.