back to article Caption this: CERN needs pic tags. Serious answers only, kids

The super bright minds at CERN have unearthed a massive cache of old photos - and they need your help working out what on earth is going on in some of them. During the first 50 years of its existence, CERN amassed about 250,000 analogue photographs. Some unlucky archivist has been given the job of digitising 120,000 from the …

1. Ben Bonsall

The first one looks like solenoid winding.

The second, no idea, but I want one.

2. jake Silver badge

"March 1970" looks like ...

... an early version of a wire bonder. Probably silver wire. You can't see the business end, just the feed end. No idea who the dude is.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: "March 1970" looks like ...

It's an early misguided attempt to spin a world-wide web.

3. Neil Barnes Silver badge

May 73

Is on his knees, so either he's sticking something to the floor (a high-tech prayer mat perhaps?) or gravity does stranger things at CERN than we have been led to believe.

4. xnetman

They paid €4.6 billion to build the Large Hadron Collider, but are too cheap to pay people to archive and identify their photos?

1. Lionel Baden

to the downvoter ? why im happy to take the comment with a pinch of salt. Lighten up ol chap

5. Mystic Megabyte
    Pint

Sept 65

<german accent>

Only this titanium stein can contain the awesome power of Helium-3 beer!

</german accent>

6. lidgaca
    Coat

I don't know what he's doing, but it;s obviously Killroy ...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

It's a trap

Most time travellers you meet are a bit OCD, if I, er er they, saw a bunch of photo's they could identify they, would find it near impossible to not correct the captions and by doing so disclose their existance.

Cern nice try.

1. frank ly

Re: It's a trap

Is the OCD a side effect of time travelling or is it one of the reasons that you started doing it? Please send me an email (frank.ly@cerntrap.net) because I'm really interested in this for medical reasons. I've heard that paranoia is another side effect, so don't worry if you experience that.

I'm also wondering how much you know about this:

http://home.web.cern.ch/about/experiments/atrap

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ah Frank ly we meet again, btw I have upvoted your next post.

Strange how the little coincidences happen, that thing in your garden, think nothing of it, pure chance.

OCD is indeed important to time travel.

OCD, a fear of being in front of camera's and a strong interest in contraception, the detail is important.

1. Elmer Phud

"Ah Frank ly we meet again, btw I have upvoted your next post."

God -- get a room you two!

Again.

8. Sir Runcible Spoon

My contributions

picture 1 - Trombone re-designed using magnetic couplings

picture 2 - Cooling rod swimming pool opens to public in June

picture 3 - Genetically modified bees construct high quality sail-cloth

picture 4 - 'DJ Boffin' creates retro mixing deck for old-fashioned cylinder music

picture 5 - Prototype brain implant requires miniaturisation effort to become practical for every day use

1. Stevie

Re: My contributions

You owe me a new monitor and keyboard you stupid sod.

9. kmac499

PIcture 3

Andre Geims Mum decorating his nursery.. The Graphene Meme is planted...

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why only serious contributions?

It would be much more fun (and more popular) if this also gathers some more inspired commentary.

There is power in them memes, you know..

12. breakfast Silver badge
    Happy

Pictorial physics conjecture

I don't know what the object in the last picture is, but I do know how big it is. Surely that should be enough for the quantum physicists at least.

13. RainbowTrout

Number 3: The birth of Qbert?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ITS LIKE JIM BOWEN WAS THERE...

In 1: Suicide by nailgun.

In 2: Forgot to turn taps off.

In 3: He's totally bored.

In 4: Bloke looking at something.

AND BULLYS SPECIAL PRIZE: 5: A toast rack.

15. RevolutionNeeded

Obviously classified!

First guy is obviously having an inhaler issue, Second is where they keep the 3 eye'd fish out of the Simpsons, Third guy is obviously inventing Blockbusters, Fourth is quite clearly sewing up some sort of quantum entanglement certified lab coat and you just don't want to know what they do with the fifth.

16. Katy_B

Pic 1 The "dark matter flask"? This is a wind up right?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

September 1965

Dr Nefario with an early prototype d/fart gun...

18. Martin Budden Silver badge

Upside down.

Pic 3 is upside down. Seriously. He's kneeling while positioning the honeycomb thing on the floor, not the wall.

19. Dick Pountain

Photo #1: "Damn it! This is Pentax fit and I *told* them I have a Nikon-fit mouth"

20. Clive Harris

January 1970

January 1970 appears to be the commutator of a DC motor/generator device. The wear marks on the commutator segments match with the brushgear on the right. The top looks like part of the armature. I'm not sure about the structure on the left. It seems to have some electrical connections, but can't be another brush, because it extends beyond the commutator and its position doesn't correspond with the wear marks. Possibly some sort of cleaning blade??

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon