back to article Mozilla hopes to challenge Raspbian as RPi OS of choice

The Mozilla Foundation staged a Mozilla Festival in the UK over the weekend, and one of the projects developers delivered was a port of Firefox OS working to the Raspberry Pi. Mozilla has big ambitions for its OS on the Pi, stating the following four objectives for a future Pi-compatible release: Be at parity with Raspbian/ …

1. Goat Jam

What exactly is the selling point here? What does FirefoxOS offer apart from being produced by an organisation that is crippled by political correctness and a desire to employ as many so-called minorities as possible?

1. Tac Eht Xilef

"What does FirefoxOS offer apart from being produced by an organisation that is crippled by political correctness and a desire to employ as many so-called minorities as possible?"

Crippling pointless featuritis and a bigger "f--- you" attitude than David Cameron crossed with the Sex Pistols?

2. Stuart 22

political correctness ... so-called minorities You are the DM Eliza Bot AICMFP.

3. Frankee Llonnygog

Maybe

A robot that than can post selfies to Vine as it chases kittens down staircases?

4. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: selling point

Well, if it has hardware acceleration all round (as the competition with both Raspbian and the unnamed media players would suggest), then it's perhaps worthy of consideration. Right now I do some browsing and desktop work on raspbian but I have to switch SD cards to watch movies (which means waiting a full 15 seconds for the Pi to reboot, insufferable ain't it?).

No seriously, hardware accel. for the desktop would be nice. Having that nice GPU sitting iddly while the CPU struggles at full steam is a shame.

1. batfastad

Switch SD cards? Noobs multi-boot will fix that, though still need to reboot.

Or just buy a Pi to dedicate to OpenELEC

For a small, low-power desktop take a look at the new Zotac Pico wotsit. Seems quite good, though Win8+Bing and about 5x the cost of a Pi. But definitely more usable as a full desktop.

I really like the idea of being able to deploy the Pi (or an HDMI TV stick) as a thin client which could fire up a VPN connection automatically and launch a remote desktop session.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Switch SD cards? Noobs multi-boot will fix that, though still need to reboot

The advantage of this solution would be? I see a lot of reasons to keep the systems on separate SD cards, and none for the multi-boot solution.

Or just buy a Pi to dedicate to OpenELEC

Yeah, I totally see how this would make more sense than my solution of dedicating a SD card to OpenELEC. NOT.

For a small, low-power desktop take a look at the new Zotac Pico wotsit. Seems quite good, though Win8+Bing and about 5x the cost of a Pi.

Not even close to being as low-power, and it's about 10x the price, not 5x. For that price I can have a laptop complete with monitor, trackpad and keyboard. And it's Windows. EIGHT. The Pico wotsit strikes me as a (failed) replacement for my Asus 900, not for my Pi.

But definitely more usable as a full desktop

That's entirely debatable. My Pi running Raspbian does very well as a full desktop. It runs Veusz, iPython, claws-mail, xpdf, Pycocuma, Midori, GVim and lout -even LibreOffice. Everything I need for work. Of course for video (including Youtube and the like) I have to turn to OpenELEC; so what? Different use, different SD card, and that's how I like it.

The Zotac Pico on the other hand, I'm pretty sure installing the Scipy/numpy stack and lout on this would be nightmare-ish, and the beast of an OS it runs means that despite the rather enormously more powerful CPU and RAM it's probably not much more responsive -if at all.

I really like the idea of being able to deploy the Pi (or an HDMI TV stick) as a thin client which could fire up a VPN connection automatically and launch a remote desktop session.

It's a bit of a waste of resources if you ask me, but that wouldn't be very difficult. I can't be arsed to check the google but there is even probably a SD card image or five out there that do exactly that.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: me about the Zotac

I re-read my post and it comes across like an anti-zotac rant. That wasn't the point. I would like to play with the zotac, it looks pretty nice, although installing a proper OS would be my very first move. It's just not in the same category as the Pi, and for that price if I wanted the max bang for my bucks I'd get a chromebook. But bang-for-the-buck is not always what matters.

5. solo

What exactly is the selling point here?

Freedom of choice and innovation.

2. NP-Hardass

Just what we need!

<sarcasm> DOM, CSS, and JS in robotics! I can't wait! </sarcasm>

3. Steve Graham

While I fully appreciate the nerd value of getting something to run on the 'wrong' platform, I really can't see what use it is. I predict that we will never hear of it again.

4. Pete 2 Silver badge

Validation

Hopefully this is bigger than just the Pi and shows that all these small, cheap and very capable SBCs are on Moz's radar as being worthy platforms for development. That will give the whole sector a boost - just so long as Moz doesn't become the Gorilla in the room and dominates the entire ecosystem.

5. wikkity

Concentrate on the browser please

Firefox used to great but over the years it's started to lag behind. Maybe if they concentrated their effort on what made them they could claw back some users.

6. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

Talk about bandwagon jump...

... but they are too late. Everyone else got there first.

7. xperroni
    Facepalm

Robotics programming in Javascript

Yep, that's just what I have been waiting for... Before I topple myself from the nearest building.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like