back to article Game of Thrones man stars in sci-fi bit on comet-catcher Rosetta

Youtube Video The European Space Agency has teamed up with Polish director Tomek Bagiński to meld fact and fiction in the Rosetta-referencing short sci-fi film Ambition. Bagiński’s production company Platige Image filmed the short in Iceland with Game of Thrones actor Aiden Gillen and singer and actress Aisling Franciosi, …

1. The Axe
    Flame

What a waste of money

Nice film, but 15% of the film is set aside for the list of crew. So many people on the crew just screams out to me that loads of money has been thrown at this project for little return. Other production companies can produce better for less. But because the EU is involved, money is no object. In fact money IS the object in that as much as possible has been plowed into the film.

1. James Micallef Silver badge

Re: What a waste of money

It's not unusual for big Hollywood films to have 10-15 minutes of credits even with a running time of a bit over 90 minutes, so crew list being 15% of film running time is not unusual. It's pretty standard practice in the film industry to list EVERYONE who did ANYTHING even if it's just the work experience tea-boy or apprentice lavatory cleaner

1. Tim Almond

But why? Why do we have film credits? You don't have a credit on a Twix for the people who picked the cocoa.

2. Gordon 10

He has a point. - what was the budget for this film in percentages of mission fit out? Is how many instruments/capabilities on the next rosetta did this cost us?

The whole point of govt spending is that you don't have to sell the proles on anything under 5% of the annual govt budget.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Because I am a horrible little pedant

60 000 km/hour relative to what?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Because I am a horrible little pedant

"60 000 km/hour relative to what?"

Something.

2. aBloke FromEarth

the Sun?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It may be the sun, the point is it is a vector and has a magnitude and direction relative to something, and that something isn't specifed.

3. i like crisps
    Trollface

GAME OF THRONES MAN?

Which one is it? Is it the 'Altitudinally Disadvantaged' one?

1. aBloke FromEarth

Re: GAME OF THRONES MAN?

Nah, it's the whoremonger. Er, I mean, Director of Gentlemen's Entertainments.

1. dogged

It's that Irish bloke who's good at accents and was in Queer as Folk.

1. i like crisps

Oh.......the bloke who was in charge of the 'Rendition Flight' at the beginning of The Dark Knight Rises?

2. phuzz Silver badge

or Mayor Carcetti from the wire

4. Richard Wharram

Why land on the comet?

Can't they just blow up Mercury so that the comet misses?

5. Jonathon Desmond

"...Rosetta is less than 10km from a comet, and both are racing through space at over 60,000km/h..."

Big deal. I am sitting less than 1 metre from a very solid wall and we're both racing through space at 107,000 km/h. Somehow, I still make it through the day....

(Note: The achievements of the Rosetta team to date are amazing. However I believe that meaningless statements like the above in an attempt to 'popularize' science just help to devalue all that work.....)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And yet...

Yeah, science should be difficult and hard to understand so that kids who might think of it as a good career are put off at the get go.

Impossible I know but I'm hoping the wall stops first.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: And yet...

Science is difficult and hard to understand. There really isn't a way round it. The problem in an instant gratification society is persuading people to put in the effort so there continues to be enough people able to keep that society voing.

6. Vociferous

East-europeans can sure do sci-fi

I love this. Beautiful work.

I like that they've made the comet black, like it really is. Nice touch.

7. Richard the Head

Iceland

Location of the shoot was Iceland not Ireland.

Superb graphics.

8. strum

Why do we have film credits?

Possibly as an alternative to payment - that's how many 'creative' shorts get made.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like