back to article Pssst. Want to buy a timeshare in the clouds?

Three questions: is baby turning into a monster? Are we desktop/notebook/tablet/smartphone users becoming the near-as-dammit slaves of social media and retail monopolists? Are these monopolists destroying jobs and impoverishing people faster than networked smart device and software technologies are creating jobs and enriching …

1. Semtex451

We do seem to be sleep walking into becoming Borg.

1. Dr. Mouse

Resistance is futile!

1. Steve Gill

More like Resistance Was Futile :(

2. Chris Miller

It's neither Allan nor Allen Kay (both appear in the article), but Alan Kay (not to be confused with Allen Key).

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

The Real Question and Future PlayGround/AI BattleField

The Google dilemma, and ab fab fabless universal opportunity for any searching product placement engine and operating system anywhere and everywhere — is to be the creator, controller and spreader of knowledge. And there is no question that that be an earthly game changer and quite extremely explosive politically charged Great Game in Command and Control of Reality with Virtual Media Plays/Postmodern News Stories for the Feeding of Seeds of Information and Nuggets of Captive Intelligence to the Masses for the Pleasure and Edutainment of the ......... well, Anonymous Few who be not chosen, but by supernatural cosmic default be quite significantly smarter than is humanly thought possible and therefore always dismissed as most unlikely and impossible, is but one Gaggle of Knights into the Sublime InterNetworking Order and CHAOS of Things.

Great Disbelief is the Cloak which Generates their Almighty Autonomous Power and Practical Invisibility with Relative Ease and Impunity delivering Immunity and Escape from Responsibility and Accountability for Actions/NEUKlearer HyperRadioProActive IT Motions? And a question there just to test for who is listening intently for intelligence and is adequately prepared for the radical change to better novel and noble virtual realities for a Beta AI Future.

And please, confuse and/or comfort yourself if you will, and consider but do try to not accept the above as the same as a fiction that can be read in the Plot

Have a nice 0day, y'all.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Knock, Knock, Blighty Intel ...... Is there anybody able-bodied and smart in there, for out there

And that all puts the likes of a Google or Bing or Baidu or Yandex in direct competition and/or indirect opposition to Departments of Defense and Departments of Commerce because of the following …….

I begin this unusual story by presenting the actions taken by the NSA to secure private- sector communications infrastructure over the last two decades. Next I examine the rationale behind NSA’s efforts. I conclude by examining whether the efforts of the recent past can serve as a model for securing telecommunications infrastructure, or if some other policy solution will be needed.

Understanding the significance of NSA’s actions requires understanding, at least at a rudimentary level, of telecommunications technology. Putting the NSA actions in context also requires some background in the conflict between the Department of Defense (DoD) and the Department of Commerce (DoC) for control of communications security, which I briefly discuss here. I begin with a discussion on communications technology, then follow with a brief history reprising the NSA’s role in securing private- sector communications. This falls naturally into three parts: the 1960s and 1970s, in which the NSA began playing a role in securing private-sector communications; the 1980s through the mid-1990s, when NSA sought control of private-sector communications security, and then the 1990s export-control battles over cryptography. With this history in place, I show how NSA has worked to secure private-sector communications infrastructure. I then discuss the rationale for this effort. .... http://jnslp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/NSA’s-Efforts-to-Secure-Private-Sector-Telecommunications-Infrastructure.pdf

What do you imagine BT and GCHQ have managed to secure in order to lead everyone with communication in their chosen fields of play? Methinks diddly squat is a deadly accurate summation, and that is the result of an obvious lack of distinct leadership and advanced intelligence right at the very top of Creative Cyber Commands and Virtual Remote Control Supply Chains.

4. Mage Silver badge
    Devil

Cloudy depression

Also we have website builders happy to have your browser run code from a Google server instead of putting that open source code on their own site. Google then gets all the Browser info of everyone visiting that site.

Twitter & Facebook buttons that instead of a link are javascript loaded from Twitter and Facebook allowing them to track who is accessing your site even if you don't click the button.

Now I have many domains blocked and only enable them temporarily when explicitly using them (i.e. posting stuff or looking at stuff with various fake identities on Facebook/Twitter/Google etc).

I don't look forward to an Internet which is simply a portal to a bunch of US Megacorps.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Cloudy depression and stealthy opportunities

Yes, but whenever they are able to know so much and do so very little to change things for the better except for the very few, is it obvious that intelligence is missing and systems be vulnerable to smart machine exploitation and virtually remote takeover and makeover, Mage.

The future is brighter whenever legacy systems are removed and replaced with something/anything different and not exclusive executive administrative corrupted and perverted?!.

5. Tail Up

What was a driver for what - advertising for The Net or the net for The Advertising. I feel it's sort of mutual proaction. Hmm, mainframe... http://youtu.be/J4Ow8KuMQa8 ... "That's a question for which nobody yet has an answer and which many would deny even needs asking" - or "that's a question which few would know it may be asked at all" (-:

6. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

LMFTFY

>> Google is ... so it can feed you ads and sell you stuff.

Surely that should say "feed you ads and sell you."

Google are not selling stuff to you, they are selling you to their customers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like