back to article Bitcasa bins $10-a-month Infinite storage offer

One of the oddest cloud storage offers ever has just been binned as Bitcasa bumps into reality. When sprats are competing with killer whales what do you expect? Back in 2011, startup Bitcasa offered Infinite storage for consumers in Bitcasa’s remote data centre, aka the cloud, for $10/month. The business case for this …

1. CraPo

Not necessarily businesses

I store a lot of digital video in the cloud, well over 1TBs worth. Not a Bitcasa customer though

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
    FAIL

"our vision of infinite"

Say it all, really. Twits.

3. banjomike
    Thumb Down

Bitcasa are tweaking the membership details

Like Sugarsync they are forgetting when people joined up. I've had an account for years but when you go through their "A Better Bitcasa" upgrade it changes your joining date to 'today'.

Note: they say "Important: you must complete this process by 11-15-2014 or your account and all un-transferred files will be deleted."

You have been warned.

4. Lee D Silver badge

"Unlimited"

Definition: Until we decide not to let you any more.

5. Dan 55 Silver badge
    WTF?

So there are few customers for their unlimited offer, but the few customers there are decided to use their unlimited space. If I understand Bitcasa correctly things would have been much better for them if lots of customers decided to use unlimited space or if few customers decided to use hardly any space.

6. chris lively

lol

So a company which purposefully used phrases like "infinite" has decided that customers who take them at their word are "abusing" the system. That's almost funny.

I wish we (the US) had some sort of real truth in advertising. When companies use terms like "unlimited" and sign contracts to that effect then they should absolutely be held to it.

I'm grandfathered in an "unlimited" data plan with my phone provider. Of course, to them, unlimited means up to 5GB of data transfer and if I go over then they purposefully slow me down.

My internet provider says I have a 1Gb/s always on connection to the internet. However, I can only reach that for a short amount of time before they start rate limiting it.

Yeah, companies that use terms like "unlimited", "infinite" etc need to be sued into oblivion.

1. Kevin Johnston

Re: lol

I blame the Advertising watchdogs for letting them get away with this to the point of encouraging them. In the UK the watchdog (aka ASA-The Toothless Puppy) specifically permitted the use of words with a cvontradictory meaning. I seem to recall it related to 'traffic shaping' which was allowed even when they advertised 'we will not slow you down'.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I used these guys when they first launched and foolishly paid for a year up front when it was on offer.

It would have been good had it actually worked, but their software was a joke and I could never get it to function reliably.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Business model?

Bitcasa's business model seems to be to offer terrific teaser deals then "change their minds" and make the alternative a pay for bonk deal. "Too good to be true" and "Greeks bearing gifts" come to mind!

9. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

"I wish we (the US) had some sort of real truth in advertising. When companies use terms like "unlimited" and sign contracts to that effect then they should absolutely be held to it."

In this case, they did hold to their terms; they are now saying they are ending providing service on these terms.

As for referring to heavy usage as "abuse", I seriously doubt it's abuse. I know a few people who have TB after TB of stuff.... why? I don't know, but they do. And if they got "infinite" storage for $10/month they'd probably stick every last bit of it online just in case. I'd say it's simply foolish to provide infinite storage at that price, at least without some caveats (one backup service had if not still has an unlimited plan, but they straight-up said the mbps speed in and out would be limited at some point.)

"I'm grandfathered in an "unlimited" data plan with my phone provider. Of course, to them, unlimited means up to 5GB of data transfer and if I go over then they purposefully slow me down."

I've got you beat -- here in the good ol' US of A, a few MVNOs falsely advertise "unlimited", but will TERMINATE YOUR DATA SERVICE at something like 1.5-2GB! The price one of them has is good IF they provided unlimited like they falsely advertise; for the 1.5-2GB of service they *actually* provide their monthly price is pretty poor. How other carriers or MVNOs have not sued for false advertising (since this directly hurts their sales) is a mystery to me.

10. idimmu

This is not the story. Bitcasa are deleting *ALL* their user's mirrored data regardless of plan

Dropping unlimited storage isn't the story here, you can just pay your way round that.

Bitcasa are *DELETING* *ALL* *THE* *DATA* backed up to them via their mirrored storage method and expecting users to upload it all over again.

That does not sound like a trust worthy cloud based backup solution. I will be losing over 350GB of photos and documents that I backed up to Bitcasa 4 months ago before I started travelling. I am now expected to upload that data again on a hostel WiFi in Asia??

This is something you also can't pay your way out of, regardless of plan, everyone that's backed up their data using their mirrored storage method is going to lose all their data.

Change in plan pricing aside, how can you trust a storage company who will willingly just delete all their customers mirrored data, with a 3 week notice period, whilst their subscriptions are still valid?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

how can you trust a storage company who will willingly just delete all their customers mirrored data, with a 3 week notice period, whilst their subscriptions are still valid?

Welcome to the cloud.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like