back to article Yahoo! Timestamps! Now! Block! Facebook! Email! Snoops!

Facebook has begun using a Yahoo! email standard created in August last year to prevent snooping through the acquisition of old addresses. The standard dubbed dryly Require-Recipient-Valid-Since (RRVS) informs Facebook and others of the last point in time ownership of an email address was known. Facebook software engineer …

1. Neoc

Yes, because nobody on the Internet has ever forgotten that an account exists and then tried to revive it if only to clear it then nuke it.

What could *possibly* go wrong?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yahoo!

Wearing the bark off the wrong end of the stick

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Recycled email accounts are fun

I picked up an email account from my ISP that had previously been owned by someone else. It has been funny getting all his emails about his Masonic Lodge meetings and invites to Bowls tournaments.

It does flag up a problem though. Not many of the companies out there who had this address registered had any kinds of sensible policy for deleting old accounts. A company would send me spam for the old account holder, I'd login to that account after a password reset, but then what next? I can't change the email address to the "correct" one as I didn't know the person's new address. And I can't instruct the company holding that account to delete the account as it wasn't my account. It did leave an interesting legal puzzle.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Recycled email accounts are fun

You just unsubscribe from the email, send a reply saying the account holder has changed or create a rule to automatically delete emails from those senders.

I'd have thought that knowingly logging into someone else's account without permission has already broken your intersting legal puzzle, by being illegal in itself.

I'm having a similar problem, having taken over a work colleagues email, now they've left. They were using it for personal, as well as work stuff. As so many people do. So I'm still forwarding on quite a few emails, and hitting unsubscribe on his instructions to everything else. Even there, certain sites won't allow you to unsubscribe without logging in with a password - so they also have to be forwarded on for him to deal with. After a month, it's down to a couple a day now. Perhaps the better answer would have been to bounce it, but we wanted the work ones, so didn't.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I had the opposite problem

Back when I still valued my yahoo email address but had forgotten the password, I had to try to create a new account with that email address every month. After several years, yahoo!, it worked and I had my original yahoo email address back. Unfortunately, they changed their ToS a couple of months later and I deleted the account.

1. Sureo

Re: I had the opposite problem

A few years ago I had a Yahoo email account. When I discovered that Yahoo knew and recorded every email address I ever used, I deleted the account, and was informed that it would take 2 years to be forgotten. Cynic that I am I'm sure Yahoo never forgets.

5. James 100

Hotmail...

Years ago, I set up a new Hotmail account using my initials for a username. It turned out the previous user of that address had been using it on ... lesbian dating sites. The mail tailed off after a while though.

I still have a Yahoo account, but never use it for anything except contacting the two friends who use Yahoo Messenger for IM purposes. The email client causes me enough headaches just from my mother's insistence on using it ("How do I forward attachments?" etc, when they randomly shuffle UI components and break functionality every other week...)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like