back to article Comcast hack leaves users without email

The portal of US communications giant Comcast was hacked on Wednesday night in an assault that left subscribers unable to access their emails for several hours. The comcast.net front page was replaced by a greeting from hackers on Wednesday night (28 May). The defacement was removed around two hours later. Users were then …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. vincent himpe
    Coat

unknown webserver ...

on linux ...

<insert 'pengiun being blasted with a double barreled shotgun' icon here>

mine's the asbestos lined done.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Heartwarming!

How refreshing to see an old school style hack against an evil giant, instead of tthe RBN trying to rip off people and the Chinese goverment de-facing Tibetan web sites....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Comcast Sucks!

When they took over, I went back to DSL. They suck.

4. Michael Johnson
    Alien

Yep, still screwed up.

Netcraft reports that they are running Sun-ONE-Web-Server/6.1 now. And the site is still screwed up.

Then again, Comcast can't even use a password field right... They DISPLAY your password when you type it. WTB a GOOD ISP. Do they even still exist?

5. James Butler

Server

"Comcast.net runs using unknown web server software on a Linux platform"

They're running Apache with the "ServerSignature" config element set to "off".

6. Violet's Boy
    Unhappy

Cox servers feeling pain from Comcast

Users sending email through the Cox servers with the return address of comcast.net are unable to send at this time. If the return address is changed to anything except comcast.net the email goes out. Must have to due with the DNS and some blocking that Cox is doing because of the problems that Comcast is having.

7. IR

Strange

They stopped me using my personal email server last week without telling me, so I couldn't send any mail. Took me ages to find out why, then I had to use the comcast email address (that I have never used and had to find out what it was by phoning them up) they gave me when I first signed up a year ago to log into their email server and change all the settings. Sorted it all last night when email was supposed to be down!

8. Madmax
    Unhappy

Inbound email also diverted

The DNS hack appears to have affected incoming email also. I was CC'd on an email which should have come at 11:30pm (28th May), but didn't know about the email until someone responded to the group today and I got their message. Several hours earlier I had no problems getting email from the same individual.

I guess the hackers got a truck load of email addresses also.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

@IR (personal email server?!)

"Personal email servers" are indistinguishable from zombie PCs... and that's probably why it's in the TOS you signed with the ISP that you agree not to run one. Don't blame an ISP for doing their job (and not informing you) when you don't respect the TOS.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like