back to article FIPR slams central communications database

A proposal for a central database covering all electronic communications has been heavily criticised by members of the Foundation for Internet Policy Research. At an event to mark foundation's 10th anniversary, a former director of the think tank described such a data warehouse as a deeply flawed plan, which had been …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. b

may well ???? a step ?????????

Bah.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Phorm

Will Phorm be looking after this database?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Fear

"and for public protection"

With this one statement Totalitarian Britian takes a step closer to becoming reality.

4. Nanki Poo
    Coat

Awaiting their advisors' opinions?

"Ministers have not made their minds up on the way forward"

Roughly translated as "we'll get back to you when the Daily Mail Group has told us what we think..."

Yep, the one with the burning copies of the Mail and Standard in the pockets...

5. John Widger
    Stop

WTF?

The government want to to kill off the internet obviously.

6. Steven
    Thumb Down

<no title>

This government won't be happy until they have each of us nicely tagged and barcoded and cameras in each of our homes.

The terrorists have clearly won.

7. Campbell
    Alert

@ Steven

Yes the terrorists have already won.

I wonder though, how long before these self same terrorists are viewed as freedom fighters and heros by a constantly monitored, controlled, oppressed people?

8. teacake

@Campbell

"I wonder though, how long before these self same terrorists are viewed as freedom fighters and heros by a constantly monitored, controlled, oppressed people?"

....aaaand now you're one of the terrorists yourself, for having sympathy with the argument that we shouldn't all be tagged and bagged.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Black Knight

"Talk about snooping isn't used when talking about the benefits fraudster, even though that fraudster will have been caught out using Ripa."

Plainly civil servants have picked up the technique of barefaced lying from ministers. In the real world "tax snooper", "dole snooper", "council snooper", "benefit snooper" are all common phrases. Back in 2003 the Guardian, not known for wild sensationalism, ran a RIPA article under the headline, "The 'snoopers' charter' explained".

10. Ian
    Unhappy

Quote from Andrew Knight

I was at the meeting mentioned. I made few notes but one quote from Andrew Knight* (the Home Office chappie) that I did bother to write down was:

[show people that RIPA is] "Rightly used ... for non-crime purposes too"

Like many others I remember the powers that be promoting much of RIPA as being targeted at terrorism and serious crime.

Mr Knight was evasive as to whether Ministers have yet actually seen the draft provisions of the Communications Bill or not.

* Mr Knight said "erm..." so often in his responses that I joked to one participant afterward that he should have been billed as Andrew erm Knight.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like