back to article DEATH by PowerPoint: Microsoft warns of 0-day attack hidden in slides

Hackers are exploiting a zero-day vulnerability in Windows using malicious PowerPoint documents, Microsoft and security firms warn. An advisory from Microsoft warns that the as-yet-unpatched flaw is present in all supported versions of Windows except Windows Server 2003 and has already been abused in "limited, targeted attacks …

1. hplasm
    Meh

Ha!

All Powerpoint docs should be treated as somewhat malicious...

1. Anonymous Custard
      Joke

Re: Ha!

Quite - I was exposed to one the other day and suddenly found I'd lost half a day of my life...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ah the death by a thousand slides.

Still on the good note, it may f**k a few "expert" consultants and sales bods drives up.

1. Gotno iShit Wantno iShit

Thanks, that cheered me up immensely.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"All Powerpoint docs should be treated as somewhat malicious..."

Rubbish. Without Powerpoint there'd be almost no corporate market for disk de-duplication (fifteen zillion copies of this week's corporate branding template reduced to one). And then where would we be.

2. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Yup. Generally a classic Denial of Service on common sense :)

3. Cirdan
    Coat

Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit

Oh PLEASE tell me that someone has already made the joke for Microsoft Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit:

Microsoft EMETic

Sometimes it really helps me if I've got a GI virus.

...Cirdan...

4. Chazmon

And we thought powerpoints couldn't get any more dangerous!

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2000-08-16

5. Jess

Would opening the file in LibreOffice be safe?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Should be though the related functionality might be missing. Then again OLE is such a fucked up implementation of applications as components that it probably won't be missed.

Then again LibreOffice has enough bugs of its own. I appreciate some of the things the devs are trying to do but I've binned it until it stops crashing so much. I find OpenOffice considerably more stable.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Would opening the file in LibreOffice be safe?

Well what is interesting is that MS are saying the vulnerability is in the way OLE is implemented in Windows (post XP/2003), rather than in Office itself. Hence I would assume that if you knew what the exploit was you could craft similar exploits in other OLE enabled applications.

Looking at the EMET settings given in the MS workaround, it looks as if the exploit makes use of Flash via OLE. Interestingly, when EMET 5.0 was released MS blocked this particular attack vector in Excel and Word but omitted the other Office programs, hence why Powerpoint is being mentioned...

6. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Tried and True

An advisory from Microsoft warns that the as-yet-unpatched flaw is present in all supported versions of Windows except Windows Server 2003...

Which means that Windows XP is most likely not vulnerable, either. I wonder how many people will continue to use it until it achieves the status of too old to run current malware.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Tried and True

Nice one! I now have this vision of malware popping up a message:

Unsupported Windows Version! To run Steal All My Credentials (SAMC) V 7.0 and above you must upgrade to Windows 7.0 Service Pack 1, at minimum. SAMC V7 will now terminate, we apologize for the inconvenience

2. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Re: Tried and True

"I wonder how many people will continue to use [XP] until it achieves the status of too old to run current malware."

NT4 has reached such a sweet spot - it has gained a level of security via obscurity, while remaining somewhat usable. Of course it's not impenetrable against a determined attack, but most of the automated exploits wouldn't work against hardened NT, because expected features just aren't there. Widely known attack vectors have widely known mitigation techniques. No further patches forthcoming, ergo no new nasty surprises, just the old and toothless ones.

For XP it's harder to achieve. It has more attack surfaces that cannot be closed without breaking it. TinyXP seems to be as slim as it gets.

7. Justin Pasher

UAC to the rescue...?

"... won't cough admin privileges to the hacker – at least not by itself. Attacks are likely to generate pop-up warnings and under default settings a User Access Control popup would get displayed."

Ohhh, you mean that "this program is requesting admin rights" pop up where everyone just clicks Yes when they see it?

8. Steve Aubrey

So that's what happened . . .

Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address after being PowerPointed - http://norvig.com/Gettysburg/ (that's the web page overview - or see six slides starting http://norvig.com/Gettysburg/sld001.htm)

9. Brad Ackerman
    Boffin

Bob Howard to the rescue?

Better grab a SCORPION STARE device and run like hell, because you're not supposed to actually implement Charlie Stross's books.

Next we'll be having PDFs that wake the Sleeper in the Pyramid... oh, wait. That would be the PeopleSoft HRMS schema documentation. So never mind then.

10. Nuno trancoso

I'd say this one has a bright future till the fix. Most idi.. people i know suffer from a supernatural attraction to open every piece of junk .pps they get sent.

Ah well, haven't had a really good work week since Nimda/CodeRed, was due...

11. TheOldFellow

The patch is already here. It's called LibreOffice.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like