back to article Google+ goes TITSUP. But WHO knew? How long? Anyone ... Hello ...

A number of Google services including Gmail, Contacts, Calendars, Chat, Drive and, er, Google+ suffered a midweek sag this morning just as Brits were downing their first cups of coffee. The ad giant's network appeared crippled to some users within the last hour. Register reader John told us that lots of different Google …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How would you tell Drive wasn't working?

I tried using drive. I found that it was so effing slow at syncing, used so many resources whilst doing it I gave up.

Also tried deleting content off drive. Still trying.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How would you tell Drive wasn't working?

wtf is Google + ? Isn't it just that annoying login (I refused to use) on YouTube?

1. Chika

wtf is Google + ? Isn't it just that annoying login (I refused to use) on YouTube?

Yes and no. Google+ predates its integration with YouTube, this integration being part of Google's attempt to push Google+ on users that clearly didn't really want it just so that it could attempt to rival services such as Facebook. Despite the fact that Google+ is no longer the product of the moment (in Google's opinion anyway), YouTube users still have to put up with it.

And, like yourself, I refuse to use it. It's bad enough that I have to stop all the other Googlespy services from grabbing my info on site after site without serving up my details wholesale.

Google+? Just say no.

2. BillG
        Happy

Google+ = The social media website no one wants to use.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Google+ = The social media website no one wants to use."

So just like Google Apps compared to Office 365 then....

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Google+ = The social media website no one wants to use."

Especially after they dragged all the youtube users in. Once that happened it became impossible to have an intelligent public discussion.

WRT to Google drive, I imagine for some people it works well. Personally I've had no end of problems with it such as it consistently taking ages to start syncing new files across the network, or the client crashes for no apparent reason (google are worse than apple for error messages). I don't particularly like to use it, but Dropbox has so far been a lot more reliable and I'm looking into using Syncthing as a long-term solution.

2. Amorous Cowherder

Use it all the time for supplying TIFF files to clients, never had any issues using it from the Windows native client or the web interface.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Fair enough.

I will attempt to use again and see what happens since it seems I have 100GB+ in total to useup.

2. Thecowking

Hangouts weren't working

I know that because I kept getting "message not sent" this morning and I was forced to retreat to the stone age and use text messages instead.

Combine that with someone sending me an actual paper cheque last week and it's like I'm living in a Dickens novel!

3. Oldskater

interesting

i note you didnt post this piece to google+ itself.

little bit of censorship going on? some of your authors are so anti g+ its commical.

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: interesting

If the platform's gone titsup, how do you think we're going to post it on there? *facepalm*

1. Oldskater

So did you go leave the post when service was restored.

The reg has a g+ profile but is so selective about what it posts

1. Handy Plough
          Holmes

What's the point? The only person that is going to read it has already read it...

2. Handy Plough
      Facepalm

Definitely worthy of QOTW...

4. Marcus Aurelius
    Headmaster

Titsup

What I want to know is why being "titsup" is so bad? Ignoring the possible gender based stereotyping for a moment, I would have thought that "titsdown" would be a more apposite expression....especially considering "up" is a well understood term for operational and "down" is an equally well understood term for non-operational (system is down, aircraft is down etc.)

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Facepalm

Re: Titsup

Put it this way. If it were "Lying on its back with its legs in the air", a well-known way of saying "Dead", "Knackered", "Utterly cattle-trucked", etc, which way would its tits be facing?

1. The Sprocket

Why is this term 'titsup' so hard to understand???

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Indeed... people seem oblivious to the obvious backronym!

2. TheRealRoland

>If it were "Lying on its back with its legs in the air",

Legz Akimbo!

"Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting? We'll have no trouble here! Are you local?"

3. petur
        Coat

"Put it this way. If it were "Lying on its back with its legs in the air", a well-known way of saying "Dead", "Knackered", "Utterly cattle-trucked", etc, which way would its tits be facing?"

sideways?

2. msknight

Tits down is situation normal for many of us. If our tits were pointed up, that would indicate one hell of a bra malfunction.

1. Marcus Aurelius
        Coat

Tits down is situation normal for many of us. If our tits were pointed up, that would indicate one hell of a bra malfunction.

I would have thought the reverse. The purpose of a bra is to keep the tits supported, or "up" in other words. Only if the tits were down could the bra be said to have malfunctioned.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Oh noes, with the whole "being a gentleman thing we're not meant to look" so this conversation has touched on the whole Schrödinger's tits paradox.

How does one know if they are up or down without affecting their existance.

This is why I love the Reg, ideas never I knew I could have.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Tits down is situation normal for many of us

Or in my case, titless.

[I'm male and the girlfriend is a bit of an ironing board so doesn't count either.]

3. Nigel 11
      Headmaster

What's being overlooked by people seeking to take offense, is that all of us, male and female alike, have tits. And if they are up, it implies lying flat on one's back on the ground, which is precisely the image that the word seeks to convey.

Certainly an adult female's tits are larger and more functional than a male's, but the word caries no implication about the size of the tits in question.

So there.

1. Alistair
        Coat

While I agree with most of your post:

"Certainly an adult female's tits are larger and more functional than a male's, but the word caries no implication about the size of the tits in question."

Thats a sexist generalization.....

(dammit, there's no duck and run for cover icon....)

2. Tom 7

But even when I lie on my back my tits still point down. So does my dick but it doesnt have to hang over the side to do it.

4. graeme leggett Silver badge

I though aircraft went "unserviceable"

1. Alister

"I though aircraft went "unserviceable""

Not if spread about several acres of landscape in smoking bits. Then, it is usually termed "Down"

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> Not if spread about several acres of landscape in smoking bits. Then, it is usually termed "Down"

But still serviceable?

I wish our engineers had had your attitude back when I was flying.

2. graeme leggett Silver badge

" Then, it is usually termed "Down""

But not safe. (he said, forcing in a Blakes 7 reference)

5. Roger Greenwood

Coffee

I was past my second cup before I noticed, and only had contacts down.

Back up a few minutes later.

For a no charge service it's like a Star Trek movie:- Infrequent, expected and of little impact.

6. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Holmes

I also notice that....

El Reg pulls in some content from gstatic.com, which ain't forthcoming, leading to white pages and repeat pressing of F5 and/or permanent rotating "loading" icons. Since around start of last week. Any relation?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I also notice that....

Use adblock and you needn't care.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

NoScript is in action

1. JohnnyGStrings

deleted comment

2. waldo kitty
          Boffin

NoScript is in action

With the afore mentioned AdBlock, there's much less to deal with. The two together are pretty much an unbeatable combination ;)

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: With the aforementioned AdBlock...

...there's no revenue for the site and it'll end up titsup. Noscript allows static ads. (Of course, if the ad revenue collection requires JS then there's still no cash, but where money's concerned people tend to care more about coping without JS...)

1. Kiwi
              Holmes

Re: With the aforementioned AdBlock...

With the aforementioned AdBlock......there's no revenue for the site and it'll end up titsup

Adblock allows basic static ads, just for that reason.

I've stated it here a few times now. If it wasn't for constanttly looping and quite distracting animated ads, I never would've discovered Adblock. If they would play once and stop, I would let them through. But they don't, so I don't.

[I'd love to give more support to El Reg's advertising dept but, sorry people, the ads you play were quite annoying last time I looked. Maybe I'll try again in a few months time (or if someone tells me that you've fixed them :) ) - but that damned "dancing Jesus" gif you had on recently was almost enough for me to block all images from El Reg and certainly I am weary of trying again anytime soon!]

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google+ goes TITSUP. But WHO knew?

Here we go again, clueless idiots jumping on the Google+ ghost town. That's so 2012...

Go read this, and then go ponder whether you would be better off writing for Take A Break magazine.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2824613/why-google-is-the-place-for-passions.html

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: Google+ goes TITSUP. But WHO knew?

Hmm, a computerworld article written by a guy who goes to Google+ to indulge his international cupcake passion. How on earth didn't I know that Google+ was the place to be for such heady delights?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"So if Google+ is a social network for people to share their interests, what are Twitter and Facebook? In general, Twitter is dominated by news, celebrities, pundits, professionals and narcissists. Facebook is mostly about family and friends. And narcissists."

You go to Google+ and join circles of people that share similar interests to you. It's not a Facebook or Twitter replacement. If you think that, you are going to fail.

1. Oldskater

facebook seems to be for photos of people who you went to school with. and their kids

twitter is gossip

g+ is conversation.

1. waldo kitty
          Devil

g+ is conversation.

really? seems to be more trolling and/or proselytizing to me...

2. Vic

g+ is conversation.

Do you have a link to any organisations you should be telling us about? You posting history is spomewhat ... single-threaded...

Vic.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"You go to Google+ and join circles of people that share similar interests to you"

Like using dead end social media sites? Presumably it picks up most of it's apparently few users from MySpace then....

3. IsJustabloke
      WTF?

Why are you so bothered?

8. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Facepalm

Hadn't noticed, don't care.

What's with people these days expecting everything to always by up and running? Stuff doesn't work that way - of course it's nice when it does but really, get a life - sometimes stuff doesn't work and when that happens everyone scrabbles around to fix it.

So let's hear a round of applause for the admins and PFY's who are working there asses off so that you can check to see if anyone's +1'd your last post.

1. Alister

Re: Hadn't noticed, don't care.

What's with people these days expecting everything to always by up and running?

Unrealistic expectations, and stupid SLAs...

<rant>

Who the hell told people that email was either secure or guaranteed? I'm fed up of explaining to clients that just 'cos they pressed the send button doesn't mean there is 100% chance of the recipient ever receiving it. Email is a "Best Effort" service, just like the rest of the Internet. And if the client insists on making their "important" email look like a marketing flyer, the chances of anyone receiving it are getting slimmer every day.

</rant>

9. werdsmith Silver badge

I did wonder what had happened to my daily "Deal of the Day" email from Maplin. I do so look forward to the satisfactory swipe that deletes it.

Thanks to El Reg for its secondary function as an alerting service. Otherwise I would never have known.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I would assume it's something like a shielded 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack cable a metre long for... wait for it.... £8.99

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

>>just as Brits were downing their first cups of coffee<<

Being a true Briton, 1st, 2nd and 3rd cup of tea, please. Possibly coffee for elevenses, at which time it was up.

11. Arachnoid

Damn cleaners

Unplugged the server to vacuum the floor

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Titis up?

Would that be: gOOgle ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Titis up?

g(.)(.)gle, surely ...

1. Paul_Murphy
        Joke

Re: Titis up?

No that's the aforementioned tits down/ normal state.

You should have typed g(*)(*)gle or similar.

:-)

13. southpacificpom

The Cloud

The cloud = someone elses computer...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just delete it, I don't know of anyone that uses it much.

It would also stop all those annoying Google+ comments on Youtube.

15. breakfast Silver badge

Why is everyone so down on Google Plus these days?

It's great to log in to G+ when you want some peace and quiet. Just you and the tumbleweed rolling past in the howling wind, that bell tolling in the distance...

Actually the more I see of the kind of bullshit that goes down on Twitter with all the hate groups and whathaveyou, the more I start to think that Google may just have to wait until other social networks shoot themselves in the foot once too often and it's community-of-communities approach may just win out.

1. Fink-Nottle

Re: Why is everyone so down on Google Plus these days?

I like G+ ... it's the perfect social platform for someone with no mates.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Why is everyone so down on Google Plus these days? @Fink-Nottle

Surely there is a community for that, no?

1. M Gale

Re: Why is everyone so down on Google Plus these days? @Fink-Nottle

Apparently Google+ will get rid of all those trolls on Youtube. Apparently.

Except now instead of being merely "bad", I would say that the Youtube comments section has slid past "terrible", whistled by "El Reg comments", gone hurtling through "Speak Your Branes" and landed slap bang in the middle of batshit troll 4chan city, and most of it from comments that say "from Google+".

So I guess that worked out real well.

And it seems I still can't moderate the comments on my own damn channel without signing up to Google Minus. Ho hum, not like I've uploaded a single damn thing since the integration. Content is king. Don't like what G+ did to Youtube? Starve the fuckers. Plenty of other video sites out there.

16. stringyfloppy

Thanks for Titsup

All I know is that I will always be indebted to you UK folks for using the term Titsup. It always gives me a laugh, especially seeing it used by what I consider a legitimate news source.

17. chivo243 Silver badge

I heard something about a 500 error

The guys here in the office were talking about it when I arrived. We actually look forward to Google stuff flatlining. Powers beyond our control have recently shifted (shafted) us to Gmail, docs, calendar etc. Don't get me started on how it has killed my work flow...

1. TheRealRoland

Re: I heard something about a 500 error

Same here, colleagues started calling me Don Quixote... Got to keep on fighting those giants! :-/

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I heard something about a 500 error

"Powers beyond our control have recently shifted (shafted) us to Gmail, docs, calendar etc"

That happened to me. As soon as the inevitable complaints started rolling in about how shite it was compared to Microsoft Office and Outlook, we made a point of opening Office 365 trial accounts for all execs and directors that had issues and forwarding their emails. Needless to say the Google crap is now out the door and they have adopted Office 365....

18. Jove Bronze badge

Google Maps

Google Maps was also affected: search, locations, and Google Earth images were all either seriously sluggish or non-functional for several hours yesterday at least up to mid-afternoon UK time.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google+

Where intelligent people go to post.

Unlike the freetards that post @ El Reg...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@joekhul

Why is every single one of your posts about Google?

2. TheVogon

Re: Google+

"Google+

Where intelligent people go to post"

So, presumably you are not intelligent then? Not that we needed any clues.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like