back to article Apple, GT in SECRET SAPPHIRE peaceable parting PACT

Apple and GT Advanced Technologies, the materials company that was once slated to provide scratchproof sapphire glass for iPhones and other Apple products, have agreed to an "amicable parting of the ways," according to sources with knowledge of GT's bankruptcy litigation. The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple and GT will …

1. Steve Knox
    Trollface

So how much...

do you think Apple will pay for the facility at the sale...?

1. Mark 85

Re: So how much...

I don't think they'll buy it. The seem to not want to own production facilities. However, I'm sure they'll follow with interest whoever does buy it. Which.. won't do a buyer any good as they probably won't get the IP for the glass itself.

Yeah... I fed the troll...

1. Captain DaFt

But think about it... Apple buys the plants, gets the money back, now has nice, shiny new plants for sale at no cost to them.

You know there's gotta be bean counters at Apple nipping at Cooks ear for this.

They're probably in meeting with legal right now.

1. Tom Samplonius

"But think about it... Apple buys the plants, gets the money back, now has nice, shiny new plants for sale at no cost to them."

I know some people can't pass by a great deal. But it isn't such a great deal if the plants can't produce sapphire of a type and quality suitable for screens. And a reasonable production cost, which has been the issue with sapphire so far.

And Apple loaned GT $359 million. Since GT is in bankruptcy, that money is gone. If Apple bought these plants, all they would be doing, is returning money to themselves.

Also, why did GT setup so many facilities? Screens are small, and can shipped easily. Gorilla Glass was originally produced at only one factory to both keep costs down, but keep quality (and integrity of the process) high.

2. Eddy Ito

The hatchet is buried alright, up to the handle and squarely between GTATs shoulder blades from the look of it.

3. Alan Denman

Sucker got unsuckered ?

re "it would be allowed sell off the Mesa facility and return the money to Cupertino, without disclosing any further information about the companies' relationship."

So it goes like this? :-

GT did the donkey work but Apple had a better deal planned with a more skilled tenant once GT sapphire kit was in. And GT extracted something for themselves via semi-blackmail.

Apple still suckered them good and proper.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: Sucker got unsuckered ?

How do you explain the CEO's stock sales then?

The SEC is going to want some questions answered over this.

Personally, I think that the CEO was somehing on a snake oil salesman and magician combined. He got Apple on the hook, took the money and ran away leaving the company a dead duck.

4. CmdrX3

No one else to blame

I guess this is what happens when you put all your business eggs into one Apples logoed basket.

5. M7S

If shareholders might never know the true reason....

Investors will usually weigh up risks before purchasing shares in anything. This goes from the large pension funds to the individual buying shares or even putting some money towards a kickstarter project.

If things go wrong, then whilst you might not get your money back (such is the nature of speculation) you should at least be able to find out why and lessons might be learned for next time. There's a lack of transparancy and accountability in this kind of arrangement that will dent the confidence of the market and thus make investment in future projects more difficult for people to obtain. If the law permits this kind of arrangement, then the law needs to be revised.

6. Hud Dunlap
    Boffin

What about the Taxpayers

Wasn't there some sort of incentive from the State to build there?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nothing to see here.

and if anyone did luckily/unluckily manage to see something then there goes the next "all expenses paid invite and free review phone"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like