back to article Migrate to the cloud and watch your business take flight

Think cloud computing is about getting rid of IT infrastructure to save money? Think again. “We see very little of ‘let’s move workloads to the cloud so it is cheaper’,” says Gartner analyst Gregor Petri. “Most of the workloads in the cloud are new ones. The promise of cloud computing for enterprises is that they can become …

1. Kev99 Silver badge

The cloud is for fools and thieves

"Migrate to the cloud and watch your business take flight" What an appropriate title for this article. Apparently all the data breaches in the news haven't had any effect on the intelligence of those in charge of data security. Put you data on the "cloud" and watch it take flight to China, Russia, wherever. Remember, clouds aren't stagnant. They move with the winds and soon disappear.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Re: The cloud is for fools and thieves

It took a few tenths of a second for my mind to insert "data" in that headline. What should also be considered is that all the recent data hijackings prove that most enterprises are not competent in protecting their systems. It should be the case that an enterprise will be better at this but all the evidence for large organization behaviour says no. Now what about the cloud providers? The lack of breaches suggests that they are far better at doing the job of data protection, unless you're a conspiracy theorist of course.

Which does make a sort of sense. Trust is everything in their business model. Lose that and customers will desert as quickly as they can port over to the competition (and Cisco, among others, seem to speed that along). The result? Trust is not, has not, been of any importance to the enterprise and I, for one, find it a positive factor in who I do business with that any particular firm is"cloud-based." Scary, no?

2. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

Oops?

I trust you do realise that there is an 'alternative' interpretation of that headline.

{edit}

Hmmm. Kev beat me to it!

1. ecofeco Silver badge
      Big Brother

Re: Oops?

Yeah, Kev beat me too it as well.

First thing that came to mind. "Take flight" indeed.

Everyone upvoted.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Headline of the week!

If it wasn't deliberate then it should have been.

4. Nightkiller

Er, Shouldn't the title be

Migrate to the cloud and watch your data take flight

5. Alister

Migrate to the cloud... and watch it rain on your parade...

Seriously, how many small businesses have multiple diverse internet connections?

Without that, in the UK, you can expect an outage every month or so, and that's not counting the downtime of the various cloud providers.

It's great, as a techie, to be able to shrug, and go "leased line's down again, there's a ticket been raised".

1. Mike007 Bronze badge

If a business can afford a leased line, perhaps they can spend that money on multiple low grade ADSL/Cable links instead, combined reliability should be better...

1. Alister

If a business can afford a leased line, perhaps they can spend that money on multiple low grade ADSL/Cable links instead, combined reliability should be better...

Yep, except where there is only one choice of provider, so all the broadband links go over the same cable, through the same exchange, to the same backhaul. This is the UK, there's a lot of places where BT is still the only choice.

Oh and at least a leased line gives you a decent upload speed, ADSL round here means 300Kbs at the most. Not much use for putting things in the cloud.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like