back to article Hacked and ashamed? C'mon, Brits – report that cybercrime

Internet-enabled frauds reached £670m across the UK in the 12 months running up to the end of August, according to new figures from the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau. Since the majority of internet-enabled fraud cases still go unreported, the true economic cost to the UK is likely to be significantly higher. The figures …

1. Dr Who

A significant minority of victims change their behaviour after becoming victims. For example, nearly half (45 per cent) opted to shut the stable door after the horse had bolted and 42 per cent report being extra vigilant to avoid a second lightning strike.

2. Pete 2 Silver badge

Sitting on offence

> only a third of those who'd been a victim (32 per cent) actually reported the offence.

A third! That sounds incredibly high.

So far today I've received 2 cold calls and half a dozen attempted frauds to various email addresses. The cold-calls were not from any company I had given my details to and may (or may not) have obtained them legally. The emails that are variants on "here's your invoice for ... " are simply attempts at coning me into sending them money.

To whom should I report all this attempted or suspected criminal behaviour? And are there enough hours in the day to actually do so? More importantly, should I expect anyone to actually do anything (apart from add "1" to the number of variously reported activities) to prevent, reduce or deter these attempts and punish the perpetrators.

My feeling is that attempted cyber-crime has zero status. Even actual fraud is dealt with in a cursory manner and if it was to be treated in the same way as minor infractions in other areas of the law, we'd need every able-bodied person the country recruited into the police force to even start scratching the surface.

3. Truth4u

What's the point of reporting it

Go through all the hassle just to be told... "well we can't do anything about it, so don't let it happen again" Which is kinda the attitude you would take anyway. Only now you're out several hours of form filling and getting it stamped in triplicate as well.

Just an exercise in victim blaming.

It would be easier if they used their global spy grid to actually track criminals instead of rigging the stock market.

1. Lionel Baden
      Mushroom

Re: What's the point of reporting it

Yup we had our servers Dos'd & DDos'd and the police basically told us regardless of the fact they had broken the law unless your a major corperation they were not going to do anything about it.

No ifs no buts. Nothing .......

Still pisses me off to this day, yes we had all the evidence against this bloke as the numpty had used his home connection to start with, with minor effect, then bragged about it found out it wasnt doing much, then went a rented a botnet and hit us with a DDOS and then further bragged.

Mind you dynamic IP's do have something going for them reboot the router, no DDOS :D

4. Frankee Llonnygog

Spending £860million on cyber-baloney

I'd like an itemised invoice please.

5. Mark 85

It's not shame on why it's not reported.

You spend hours reporting it or at least trying to report it and get blown off by the police, etc. Why go through the hassle? Doesn't matter which country you're in, the result is same. I'm in the States and reporting it does nothing.

6. phil dude
    FAIL

company incompetence...

How much of the "crime" is due to incompetent companies?

I will not say who (partly because I have better things to do, but also because I suspect it might be widespread.)

I have emails from UK companies that invite me to send emails of passport information ot identify myself. PGP? No, plain email.

If you have seen this too, please share. I saw it once and thought that was odd incompetence for an IT company. But I have seen it TWICE now. Both big companies...

P.

7. RobZee
    Facepalm

Only 1 in 20?

Only 1 in 20 people use the same password across all sites? That seems way too low from my experience, although I have to admit to not changing my very complex passwords that often, if at all !!

I tried to inform some family members recently that using the same password for multiple sites was a dumb thing to do, only for the lot of them to turn on me en masse, calling me paranoid. And only yesterday, I was attacked by another family member for setting the wifi network key to something too hard to remember! I give up! Most people don't want to hear security advice until they get stung.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Over the last year I've had half a dozen websites that I host hacked. Typically they install a page that collects login details. One of them actually set up a subdomain to go with it, while another one just redirected search engines to other sites to build up their rankings. None of them stored the details on my site - in one or two cases I was able to send details of the attack to the company whose pages were being spoofed, but is there anywhere that I can report this sort of thing to?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like