back to article YARR! Pirates walk the plank: DMCA magnets sink in Google results

Advert slinger Google has said it's started burying websites that help people illegally download copyrighted stuff. The web giant claimed today it sinks pro-piracy sites way down its search results – yes, beyond page two, the grim wastelands of the web. It's hoped this may dissuade people from seeking out pirated movies, games …

1. ratfox
    Devil

Blasphemy!

"The right combination of price, convenience, and inventory will do far more to reduce piracy than enforcement can."

No, no, no! Services should be as inconvenient and unavailable as possible! How else can you charge an arm and a leg for basic functionalities?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In the interest of balance..

.. an unjustly filed DMCA notice should be automatically generate a fine, calculated using the same values and charges as currently used to work out the gazillions payable when someone is convicted of file sharing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Angel

Re: In the interest of balance..

All of the claimant's advertising revenue gets paid to the innocent victim.

2. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Re: In the interest of balance..

"the British Recorded Music Industry was the largest complainant last year, submitting 43.3 million takedown requests."

Really?

How can that many have ANY sort of quality control. There must of been a heck of a lot of false positives in that lot. Do they compensate the owners?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CENSOR ENGINE

if the shoe fits.

4. ashdav
    Facepalm

Duh!

Once you've found a site,bookmark it.

But you all knew this anyway, didn't you?

Google are just going through the motions to be seen to be doing something (again).

5. John Sanders
    Devil

Note to self

When looking for things in google, start at page two-three of the google result list.

1. ashdav

Note to everyone

Don't use Google!

(other search engines are available eg. Ixquick,Duckduckgo)

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Note to self

Or look at Bing. It's what I've started doing, as there seem to be more and more Google searches where the results are not at all related to what I searched for.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

I'll believe Bing's worth a bent tuppence the day it can search Microsoft's own web properties for things like error messages more accurately than Google can. It's outright embarrassing how hard it is to find useful information about Microsoft's own products and services from their own search engine.

1. dan1980

@Trevor_Pott

"I'll believe Bing's worth a bent tuppence the day it can search Microsoft's own web properties for things like error messages more accurately than Google can. It's outright embarrassing how hard it is to find useful information about Microsoft's own products and services from their own search engine."

1000%

I noticed this some time ago when I undertook a trial separation from Google and you are right - it is embarrassing, or at least should be.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"When looking for things in google, start at page two-three of the google result list."

I start about page 4 then you'll be well past the sponsored ads that have nothing to do with what you searched for in the first place

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't know about anyone else but I always set my Google search defaults to 100 results per page. The article doesn't say if page two or three are results 20-30 and 30-40 or if they are 200-300 and 300-400. I find it much easier to scroll down a listing of 100 results than to have to click after every 10 and keep looking ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> I don't know about anyone else but I always set my Google search defaults to 100 results per page.

Ok, for your edification: I browse in permanent private mode + Ghostery + AdBlock + local storage disabled + Flash cookies disabled + IPv6 disabled on Firefox (not on my network stack) + a bunch of other things (e.g., "safe browsing" and a lot of stuff I forget about have been disabled too). I do not have a GMail (Google) account at all. I have no idea if you can set your preferences in the Google search engine without having a Google account, but even if you did, they would not survive a browser restart--which is of course the way it should be, I want a pristine browsing experience every time.

It's not that I'm paranoid, it's just that they are after me. :-)

6. 80sRelic

Ahoy, matee! DuckDuckGO!

1. Reallydo Wannaknow
      Happy

re: other search options

So, instead of amazing people with your "Google-Fu", you can wow them with your "Duck-Fu" instead! (plus it's more fun to say)

2. Dylan Fahey
      Thumb Up

I just started using duckduckgo search engine after google search questioned me when I connected via my VPN. It wanted to 'validate' who I was, WTF? I'm just searching, NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Piracy often arises when consumer demand goes unmet by legitimate supply"

So what about those who are not fulfilled by legitimate supply because of stupidity? Ie "Not available in your country"?

1. dotdavid

Re: "Piracy often arises when consumer demand goes unmet by legitimate supply"

You can always move country - you pirates are always making ridiculous excuses for your thefts!

2. dan1980

@AC

Stupidity? I would say that it is more greed and that sometimes blinds them.

The current benchmark in Australia is the astonishing deal that was made between HBO and Foxtel for Season 4 of Game of Thrones.

Previously, one could get the episodes via iTunes either individually or with a season pass (which amounted, sensibly, to about the same prince as a boxed-set) and you could do so shortly after they aired in the US. It was a reasonable situation.

For season 4, HBO signed a deal with Foxtel that saw it as the exclusive outlet for timely viewing. It could not longer be purchased and streamed and if you wanted to watch it as it was airing, your only choice was Foxtel.

The problem, of course, is that if you didn't already have Foxtel, you would have to sign-up to a contract, and purchase and add-on package, in the process paying ~$160/month for a whole slew of content you don't want, just to get the one thing you do.

It was utterly unreasonable and, predictably, illegal downloading went up.

This, again predictably, resulted in Foxtel bitching and moaning to the government to toughen up the laws.

3. Tom Womack

You wait. They'll come out in your country eventually.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> So what about those who are not fulfilled by legitimate supply because of stupidity? Ie "Not available in your country"?

To be noted that such restrictions themselves may (depending on the numerous ifs and buts of each particular case) be themselves unlawful within the EU.

8. streaky

DMCA's and Google

I get maybe 1 legit DMCA/month for one of my sites actually sent to me, chilling effects lists thousands of pages from my site that were flung at Google and they neatly complied.

If you actually care about google placement this change is a legal and administrative *minefield* for them. If I started querying all the pages from my site [alone] that they have knocked out because of bullshit DMCA requests it'd keep somebody at Google in fulltime work for months.

Google are irrelevant though so who cares?

9. Amorous Cowherder
    Joke

Kids today don't know what it was like in the scene back in the day! Tch!

Fair enough. That's the way it used to be many, many moons ago when the wide blue yonder of the connected world first opened up to we home users with our 2400 baud modems to BBS's. It could take a week or two to track down a good "source" and then you'd be forced to "bring a bottle" to the party, so to speak, or you wouldn't get in!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Kids today don't know what it was like in the scene back in the day! Tch!

The Bay Area swinger community operates a similar 'bring a bottle' policy for people new to the lifestyle.

10. Tromos

I presume this means...

...that the bottom ranked site for the entire Google database must be YouTube.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Piracy wouldn't have anything to do with outrageous pricing and stupid "zoning", would it.

Reduce the complexity and reduce the price.

It's probably too simple.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DMCA google.com

top site for and endless collection of magnets.

Also No 1 champion for pirates, terrorists, all kinds of nasty stuff....

13. Ben Norris

One rule for them and another for everyone else. When google themselves expect to be treated as an indexer not content provider, why are they not applying the same to others?

14. The Vociferous Time Waster

Easy way to reduce dmca notices

if Google are getting swamped with dmca notices they should take the labour government approach and require all requests to be filed on paper in triplicate and signed along with a copy of the submitter's birth certificate verified by a solicitor, doctor, magistrate or justice of the peace. All forms should be discussed at a quarterly meeting and the minutes published in a locked storage cabinet with a sign saying beware of the leopard.

15. JaitcH
    Happy

Not a problem - I prefer privacy

I haven't used Google for ages - there are so many search engines out there, several dedicated to downloads. Besides they are either agents for the NSA or have poor security, so I choose alternatives.

Do I feel guilty?

No, I usually download music (classical) and films, then place orders with off-shore vendors. These days so much media is pure garbage with maybe one or two songs worth the price but certainly not the whole CD.

1. streaky

Re: Not a problem - I prefer privacy

"either agents for the NSA or have poor security"

It's a bit of both* depending on what day of the week it is and which way the wind is blowing.

* It's that slide where GCHQ thought it was *hilarious* they weren't crypting traffic between their DCs that still gets to me.

16. Not Elvis

I wonder if.....

You Tube will also be included in this.... just saying...

1. streaky

Re: I wonder if.....

You're not seriously suggesting that google give other people's sites a fair shot in rankings are you?

17. Lionel Baden

Hang on ...

WTF is page 2 ???

1. waldo kitty

Re: Hang on ...

WTF is page 2 ???

isn't that that other model agency? you know? the one that's not Page 3 ;)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like