back to article NASA eyeballs solar heat bombs, mini-tornadoes and nanoflares on Sun

NASA scientists have unveiled data that they believe shows how the Sun's energy moves from the surface of the star at the centre of our Solar System through its fiery atmosphere. In a series of papers published in the latest issue of Science magazine, the astro boffins presented their findings from the US space agency's …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about

The discovery this week of axions (ie dark matter) from the stellar core?

New particle, barely interacts with matter but more so than neutrinos, decays by emitting photons.

Could be responsible for the radioactive seasonal decay anomaly and possibly contribute to noise in superconductors.

1. frank ly

Re: What about

It's an observation of anomolous X-ray levels that _could_ be explained by postulating axions from the sun interacting with the earth's magnetic field.

1. andre 2

Yes, I saw the article.

It is intriguing to note that this discovery barely made page 6 of the Daily Mail yet it could be the most important discovery in history ie concrete evidence of dark matter.

Axions IIRC have been theorized to only manifest in condensed matter and by the X-ray production as they decay so finding them in the first place is a considerable feat of engineering.

It is also worth noting that the curves for anomalous solar X-ray flux and the curves for seasonal radioactive decay (either accelerated or reduced) 54Mn being one example almost exactly match.

1. Jonathan Richards 1
          Boffin

I had not heard of these 'curves for seasonal radioactive decay' of which you speak. That would be interesting new physics, but a little searching turns up "Old textbook knowledge reconfirmed: Decay rates of radioactive substances are constant [eurekalert.org] . The authors checked decay rates with a scintillation counter, and attribute earlier results to seasonal influences on the detectors used, rather than on the decay rates being measured.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't care if scientists try to analyse the the Sun to its basic particle matter..

It's still magic to me.

1. cikub

I do care, but I liked your comment: science is absolutely magical than anything SciFi can throw out :)

2. Anomalous Cowshed

solar heat bombs?

Arrest the sun for terrorism!

That's every single person who works for the Sun, for acts of terrorism against the English language.

3. Scroticus Canis
    Boffin

"200,000 F" - Who converted the ºK to ºF for this verbiage?

Scientists, even is America, use Kelvin or Celsius for temperature, not Fahrenheit. So some one dumbed down the original article this was taken from. So should be 110,820º K or there abouts.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Mike 140
      Headmaster

Re: "200,000 F" - Who converted the ºK to ºF for this verbiage?

Degrees Kelvin???? Go to the bottom of the class. It's K.

1. Friendly Neighbourhood Coder Dan

Son: Mum, a scientist asked me if he could freeze me at −273.15 °C (−459.67 °F).

Mum: Isn't it dangerous?

Son: Don't think so, he said I'll be 0 K.

3. Martin Budden Silver badge
      Flame

You know how old people often have an unhealthy obsession about one thing, and they complain about that one thing all the time? For some old people it's the state of the pavements these days, for others it's the clothes young people wear... you get the idea.

I must be getting old, because I'm becoming more and more obsessed with complaining about those stupid Americans still using their stupid units. GO METRIC ALREADY FFS!!!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NANOFLARES..

..for Paul Daniels, presumably?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like