back to article EU Competition chief: So what if I didn't tame Google? You're all 'irrational' anyway

Europe’s unelected competition czar has signed off with a sour burp aimed at his elected critics in Parliament. "I don't think antitrust investigations should be part of the conventional political debates," Joaquín Almunia complains in the Wall Street Journal. He was quizzed on his failure to deal with Google, a case which …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Almunia’s office had amassed a mountain of evidence on the Californian data-processing giant, but Almunia declined to launch a formal investigation, preferring to cut a back room deal. Almunia and Google chairman Eric Schmidt had kept in close contact via text message, but the former Spanish trade union economist has declined attempts to reveal what they discussed."

Nothing to see here! Hey, look at that!

2. Khaptain Silver badge

Who is pure enough ?

I can't think of many people that would turn down what I presume Google would offer as "niceties" in order that the various decisions be held back, postponed, upset etc...

3. Anomalous Cowshed

I think...

I can sum it up neatly while at the same time maybe turning things to my advantage a bit:

"Come here, now. I too want to investigate you. And I'll settle for half of what he got."

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Amateur

> That earned Almunia a telling-off from MEPs.

Really, this is amateur league; the EU should look to the UK for what unelected politicos are able to do. Their lordships would never stand for a ticking off by the other house, even for the most banal soundbites..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/15/martha_lanefox_yeuch_the_internet_is_made_by_men/

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More Anti-Google Nonsense from the Freetards at El Reg

So now US elected Officials are the standard for ethics and morals in this world?

Give me a effin' break.

The anti-Google hate is strong on this site. All the freetards are upset because a business chooses to make money (go figure).

Let's examine what some of these 'charges' against Google - To not allow autocomplete to prevent any suggestions of illegal activities. HOOO-kay, freetards. That sounds like the man is trying to limit your access to free speech. Are we going to allow people to search for what they want or are we going to curb that. ANd what and whom is going to determine what a suggestion of 'illegal activity' is? Sounds like a slippery slope freetards... You sure you want to go down it?

What about some of the EU's issues. Not promoting others services above it's own. Hmmm.... So mercedes should advertise for Toyota in it's vehicles, commercials and brochures? Or maybe ever shop should be forced to advertise for their comp;etitiors and suggest their services before their own. Mind you, google carries all their competitors services, the competition just whines because it wants to be ranked first (even though most of the 'competition' that has complained are just crummy spam sites that link to nothing relevant).

Freetards want everything free and to pay nothing in return. Long live the Freetards @ El Reg. Down with Google!!

6. Anonymoist Cowyard

Get ELOP in there.

As obviously, he is now at a loose end, and it would be a great new trojan job for him.

7. Daggerchild Silver badge

Omission here, a shading there, a line of three supporters where

A tale is told, opinions old, to paint a picture, evil's lair.

"Beware" said he, "Defenders, thee art agents of a monster vile!",

"How dare you say within its shadows, monsters might not lurk in guile".

8. esque

"the subject of antitrust investigations on five continents: the EU, the USA, Canada, Taiwan, South Korea, India, Argentina and Brazil."

Now, let's count:

EU - Europe

USA, Canada - North America

Taiwan, South Korea, India - Asia

Argentina, Brazil - South America

That's four.

So, what is the fifth continent?

It can't be Africa or Australia, as no country from these is mentioned.

So it has to be Antarctica, which several countries claim as theirs. Right?

1. Daggerchild Silver badge

India, probably

But I hear Atlantis is taking issue with Google applying for tax residence there.

9. Ole Juul

Yes

If Almunia is correct, then a lot of regulators are being "defensive” and "irrational" everywhere all at once.

10. Dan 55 Silver badge

Non, je ne regrette rien

It's your fault anyway.

What's the next stop on the gravy train?

11. Alan Denman

ALl about Microsoft and Apple

who want to take Google down a peg or two.

Google trespassed on their Duopoly so this is yet another revenge attempt

12. Cipher
    Big Brother

New take on an old saw...

Privacy invasions doth never prosper: what's the cause? Why if they prosper, none dare call them bad laws.

Apologies to Harrington...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like