back to article Don't mess with Texas ('cos it's getting Google Fiber and you're not)

Another US city will be get a high-speed fiber broadband network courtesy of Google, though it is a few months late. Google's Austin Fiber website confirms that starting in December, residents will be able to start signing up for the gigabit-a-second service. The launch will make Austin the third US city to get a Google Fiber …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't mess with Texas?

What do you mean by Texas? The third-world state that (not surprisingly is the Ebola center of North America) supports prayer as the answer to disease? Or the libertarian state that attacks government response to disease (Obamacare)?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Don't mess with Texas?

Mr. Coward, normally I don't respond to AC's (particularly the trollish kind), but your wail of agonized foaming hatred towards Texas (Austin included) has disturbed me deeply.

I'm not from there, but I've seen it and I can attest that it's not as bad as your diatribe would suggest. Perhaps you should travel to Texas some day. Who knows, a bit of exposure to people with minds of their own (not govt. approved ones like yours), might do you a power of good.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I am from Texas. Posting from Texas right now. Believe me he is not that far off base.

1. Swarthy

There are two types of Texas: Austin, and everywhere else. The two should not be confused, that would be like conflating London and Edinburgh, because they are both in the UK.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I live in Texas. Posting from Spain right now, a country with 177% of the population of Texas, but only 101% of the GDP. Also a similar number of Ebola cases due to similar failures of their health care professionals.

2. ecofeco Silver badge

I lived in Texas for a few decades and I can attest it's worse than AC describes.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I lived in Texas for a few decades and I can attest it's worse than AC describes."

I must say that's impressive. You spent nigh onto half your life in that awful place? It's a wonder you're still sane. To think of all the unsavoury practices you must have witnessed, like church-going, straight lifestyles, and (gulp) voting Republican!!! Gad!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have had Gigapower since December and pleased with the results. My firewall just cannot keep up; it can support a max of 650Mbps and I have over 625Mbps; going direct to the RG does give me more speed. Nothing like attaching a file to an email and poof, it is done no matter what the size.

Cloud backup services are actually an option. I had to do some patching and each patch was over 1GB in size and done in seconds; I swear the install took longer than the download.

1. Tom 38

Get an EdgeRouter-Lite, use your current router as a wifi AP.

My ISP supplied router "only" gets up to around 700Mbit/s up or down, with the EdgeRouter its more like 950Mbit.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

But this is Google

How much of that lovely data going down those beautiful fat pipes is used for their Data Slurping and sent back to the user as 'Targetted Adverts'?

What is the Divorce rate in areas served by Google Fibre? Has there been an increase in sudden divorces as... well you know those adverts for certain semi legal services start appearing when the lady of the house goes online to buy something girly? (Or the other way round...)

The speed might be great but there has to be a downside if Google is involved isn't there...

1. Oninoshiko

Re: But this is Google

Honestly, for 1G/s I wouldn't give two fucks.

4. phil dude
    Thumb Up

Austin is fun...

don't knock it, until you've tried it....

P.

5. tempemeaty
    Pint

I hope Google''s plans for expansion continue

Google's prices and speeds are better than the dominant cable ISP's here in Arizona. I'm no fan of Google but the constant price increases we've been suffering from the current cable ISP has worn out any trust I had in them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I hope Google''s plans for expansion continue

If Google kicks ISPs asses, and they do and will, it's the ISPs fault. When Tech/Engineering companies became ruled by MBAs and Accountants their eventual downfall was guaranteed. They've cut Engineering in most of these companies to the bone. Engineering departments can no longer innovate and are afraid to take chances so they stay with good enough, but expensive equipment, instead of developing their own. We can see that the large social media companies develop their own switches and routers on the cheap. Not many ISPs have that expertise anymore.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like