back to article Hacker-hunters finger 'Keyser Soze' of Russian underground card sales

A hacker based in Odessa, Ukraine has become the main provider of data stolen from compromised credit cards, a new study claims. According to Russian cyber-security consultancy Group-IB, a person or persons operating under the pseudonym “Rescator” (AKA Helkern and ikaikki) uploaded details of over five million cards onto the …

1. Kevin Johnston
    WTF?

So...

Let me see if I got this right......a person using an alias has actually been identified as the same person using a completely different alias...

Wow....someone online who uses multiple identities, groundbreaking stuff here

1. tmTM

Very Convinient

Russian group points finger at Ukrainian bloke, claims they are the most evil person around.

Same Russian group later seen searching for missing black kettle.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

All this stuff emphasises...

...that russia is essentially a mafia state.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: All this stuff emphasises...

Kinda odd how as Americans we like to think and talk bad of others but consider it Unamerican to be critical of our own nation.

We ship to Russia using USPS because of issues with FedEx and UPS shipping to Russia. I was in the post office yesterday to ship a package when the person behind me saw me filling the custom form and ask me how I take a risk shipping such a high value item to Russia. I responded that I can because I do the same to US buyers every day and they are higher risk.

In response to the quizzing look on his face I told him we have been shipping internationally for seven years without a single fraud case but we have to deal with fraudulent buyers in the US almost weekly.

I don’t think there is anywhere else in the world where fraud is as prevalent as in the old US of A. Is Russia a Mafia state, maybe yes. But so is ours, except we found ways to legitimize it and make it look better on the surface.

1. Stevie

You missed the part of the article that spoke of the criminal not compromising local (ie Russian) credit cards then?

Fraud is prevalent in the US, but it is often rooted in the digital misdoings of Russians who know better than to defecate where they eat (a habit various US domestic mineral resource exploitation operations could learn to emulate). I understand that Russian prisons knock those in the US into a cocked hat when it comes to unpleasantness of stay, and Russian police are not hampered by many of the laws intended to restrain the more enthusiastic of our own boys in blue.

3. frobnicate
      Facepalm

They guy is Ukrainian, lives and operates in the Ukraine. But wait, he knowns Russian, hence the mafia state is clearly behind him.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Paris Hilton

So does he operate out of Novorossyia or liberated Crimea?

Also:

We always insert [a plant] in any well professional hack communities, especially if they are Russian-speaking

That's racist!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Funny, I thought it was because they were, themselves, Russian-speaking.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like