back to article Auntie hires API firm to manage new online BBC Store

API company Apigee has been brought in to pull together all the suppliers of BBC Worldwide’s "direct-to-consumer retail platform". The software will be used as a traffic manager. In the world of inclined playing fields, little beats your TV licence fee going towards setting up an online store to compete with online stores that …

1. an it guy

finally. a nice place where, if executed well, the store could mean the BBC makes money. Perhaps reduces the license fee?

Okay, that last part might be wishful thinking

2. captain veg Silver badge

Fact alert!

"In the world of inclined playing fields, little beats your TV licence fee going towards setting up an online store to compete with online stores that are not governmentally subsidised"

BBC Worldwide is a commercial organisation that is not supported by the licence fee. In fact it subsidises it.

-A.

1. Paul Hargreaves

Re: Fact alert!

Really? So if the BBC (Television) didn't exist, BBC Worldwide would be a self-sustaining business with sufficient content and access to markets? If not, then BBC (Television) via the license fee is still funding it...even if it manages to turn a paper profit.

1. frank ly

BBC Worldwide is a wholly owed subsidiary of the BBC. Its entire purpose is to sell BBC and other British TV programming abroad. In the last financial year, it generated headline profits of £157.4m and headline sales of £1,042.3m and returned £173.8m to the BBC. I'm wondering how it managed to generate such poor profits on sales of TV shows from the BBC, unless it pays the BBC (and ITV comnpanies maybe) large amounts of IP fees for those TV shows.

In 2013-14, BBC income from license fees was £3.7 billion, with a total income of £5 billion. I assume some of the extra £1.3 billion came from IP fees from BBC Worldwide?

So, BBC Worldwide is a corporate front to let the BBC get more money (and why not) and it mostly relies on the license fee to get a product to sell.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

AH HA! THOSE are the bastards that put ads in my Top Gear and chopped 20min off every episode, until the flames at BBC America got high enough. They still put ads in, mind you, they just made the "run time" 1:20. Assholes.

1. Petrea Mitchell
            Go

I believe it's BBC America that actually cuts it up and inserts ads.

Either way, I for one would also welcome a way to watch it just as it appeared in the UK. Maybe even, dare I hope, just after it airs, instead of waiting for some arbitrary period for the news to get stale?

3. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Canada calling. Where can I send in my License Fee?

For £150.00 per year (under Cdn$300 even now), and you give me full on-line access to all BBC TV programming in HD (as well as all BBC radio too, of course), where do I sign up? Live and Play It Again, just as if I lived down the street and had an aerial. Including Top Gear and everything. None of this 'Not Available in Your Area" crap. I'm paying, let me in.

Seriously. Please. Make it so.

1. Tom 35

Re: Canada calling. Where can I send in my License Fee?

I'm sure they will not want to cut into the BBC Canada Cable TV deal and will use the same lame "please sign in with your cable TV account" crap that other broadcasters use.

2. BongoJoe

And don't forget all the pointless talent shows that you could ever wish for, cookery programmes galore and lots of cheap programmes encouraging you to sell your heirlooms at knock down prices to some conman in a funny hat and bow tie.

And next to no sport neither.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If only it was that easy.

Good old licence agreements for different territories means you have no chance. Better to try and get CBC or Corus etc to buy the content from Worldwide, and employ the iPlayer people (company that made it not BBC staff that claim to) to make a good platform to watch it on.

4. Simon Rockman

You send it to a UK VPN company.

Really, this whole business of media companies thinking they can chop the world up into territories is a failing battle.

5. phuzz Silver badge

Even if you do live in the UK, if you run a tor relay you'll get blocked from iPlayer. It's been a whole month now and they've still not sorted it :(

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Wait, you want to stream video over tor?

You know how tor works right? Seems like a bit of a dick move wanting to use so much bandwith (other peoples bandwidth) just to watch TV.

Have a read of the TOR faq page and find out why.

Spoiler, if everyone did it the whole thing would be shit for every one.

4. theModge

Completely ignoring the finance and fairness discussions

Does anyone know if they're using Web Service Modelling Ontology for this?

I quick glance suggests that might be compatible with apigee's interests. Certainly solving your problems with linked data \ ontologies is an area in which the BBC are very much leading the way and providing some useful examples for the rest of us. It would be good to see a British corporation investing in this area.

5. WildW

Timeshift Engaged

It is still legal to record live television broadcasts, like we used to in the VHS days, isn't it? I'm not sure why we'd want to pay for it all a second time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Timeshift Engaged

Missed the point, this is for BBC worldwide, areas where they can't record it because its not broadcast (or broadcast with 20 mins of adverts in a 40 mins programme)

6. DSotnikov

Not just because of "so many different vendors"

There's a lot more to API management than just connecting multiple consumers to multiple providers (although this is an important aspect) - just to name a few other reasons:

- Throttling (so APIs do not get abused),

- Developer portal goodies: online documentation, interactive API consoles, forums, social features, feedback forms, rating buttons, etc,

- Subscriber management (let new ones sign-up, approve them, block rogue subscribers and apps, etc.)

- API lifecycle management,

- Statistics and analytics.

Disclosure: I work for WSO2 API Cloud: http://cloud.wso2.com - so is partial to that space. :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like