back to article On Nov 12, a human-made space lab will try to HARPOON a COMET and land on it

The European Space Agency (ESA) has officially set the date for its Rosetta probe's Philae lander to touch down on comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko. The craft will harpoon and set down on the high-speed cosmic rock on November 12. Rosetta comet landing spot ESA hoping for a safe touchdown The Rosetta space probe is orbiting …

1. VeganVegan

That's awfully bumpy terrain

ESA has that picture at 0.5 m per pixel.

I hope that the lander can handle /avoid the 'cliff' edges.

Also, what if the harpoons do not reach 'bedrock', and only embed themselves in a soft pile of comet dust? Then there's nothing to tug against to pull the lander in.

Exciting times!

1. dan1980

Re: That's awfully bumpy terrain

@VeganVegan

From the NASA FAQ:

What if the lander touches down on a very steep slope and drills itself into an awkward angle, or sinks into porous snow or some other soft material?

The lander is designed so that it can land on a slope of up to 30 degrees. The feet are equipped with large pads to allow the lander to touch down on a soft surface. If the surface is very soft, the lander’s feet may sink into it but sinking will eventually be stopped by the bulkiness of the lander’s body. In all scenarios, the lander is expected to be able to safely transmit its data.

--EDIT--

Re-reading your question, I realise that doesn't actually answer it!

1. Ragarath

Re: That's awfully bumpy terrain

It's not the terrain that worry's me, they seem to have that covered. If Rosetta is orbiting at 10km when the comet gets close to the Sun, will it also burn up along will Philiae? 10km is not that much after all with the distances being talked about.

I'm off to read up on what's going on with this part. Maybe Rosetta has some good shielding?

2. dan1980
    Pint

This whole thing is just so freaking amazing.

The most amazing part, of course, is the ridiculous amount of planning and just how well the laws (and approximations, in the case of Newton) work.

Things like this are why I get so hot under the collar any time a creationist labels science as dogmatic and based on belief just as much as their own, religious world view. It works. It just WORKS. (Bitches.)

I mean, planning a 10 year journey involving THREE gravity assist manoeuvres from the Earth and one from Mars, coordinating two other comet fly-bys, rendezvousing with an object travelling 135,000 km/h and then inserting itself into an orbit with with a body that has an escape velocity of about 1 m/s. That's just crazy-cool.

Yes, there were corrections needed but this step was also pre-planned, hence waking up from hibernation when it did, allowing the scientists and engineers to re-assess the situation and adjust. Even then, the ability to accurately ascertain the position of the vehicle and comet and calculate the precise burn directions and timings is testament to just how well this all works.

There's no real point here, just if I go home and wax lyrical about this all to my partner, I am met with just the barest approximation of indulgence.

Obvious choice of icon.

1. dan1980

Oh what the fuck. Seriously, this random down-voting without any explanation is really starting to irk me. People who down-vote without any reason are just cowardly children taking potshots from the sidelines. If you don't agree with what someone has said then have the courage to put your reasoning forward for everyone to judge and stand by it.

So, random coward, what is it in my post that so upset you? Did you find the word 'bitches' too confronting? Are you a tut-tutting tee-totaller who disapproves of even an image of alcohol? Or did my comment about creationists rub you the wrong way?

If so, why? Are you a creationist who supports the position I am voicing annoyance at - that 'science' is based on dogma and belief? If so then say so plainly - and not from behind the cover of an anonymous coward shield.

Or perhaps I have it wrong and you just wanted to make it known that you didn't think this was crazy-cool but merely 'cool'.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Dan, it is just engineering using natural observed reactions - gravity - to get where it is.

By now - 10 years later - we should be capable of doing much more, like replacing this with a manned expedition that gets there much faster - a few months maybe. Unfortunately mankind, in general, has lost the vision of going into space and seeing other stars and planets and now indulges itself in navel gazing to the detriment of everyone.

Maybe the down votes were because of your dig at creationists but then you don't have to be a creationist to think that science is dogmatic - just consider the CAGW controversy.

1. Peter Simpson 1
        Alien

I suppose this isn't a good time to bring up Geocentrism? :-)

Heck, they may not have a comet-orbiting spacecraft, but they have a movie coming out.

// Their view of the universe falls quite flat when subjected to even minor scrutiny

// Will be glued to the Internet to monitor the Philae landing

2. et tu, brute?
        Unhappy

@Ivan 4

"By now - 10 years later - we should be capable of doing much more, like replacing this with a manned expedition that gets there much faster - a few months maybe. Unfortunately mankind, in general, has lost the vision of going into space and seeing other stars and planets and now indulges itself in navel gazing to the detriment of everyone."

IMNSHO the problem is all the brain power wasted on new killing machines! Humans are the most self-destructive animals on this planet! With just a fraction of the money spent on "defence", we could solve all the pressing problems that face mankind, and have enough left to develop real space travel. Alas, we are doomed if we don't change soon...

Waiting for the inevitable downvotes...

1. Captain Obvious
          Pint

Re: @Ivan 4

One upvote from me as I feel the SAME way!

3. dan1980

@Ivan 4

But that's the amazing part!!!

I.e. that this all works so well. For most people, life just goes on and we don't have to care a fig for the natural laws and the equations that some very, very clever people deduced to explain them. We get up, get dressed, eat breakfast, have a coffee or tea and get on with our jobs and the natural laws just potter along in the background, ensuring that our coffee mugs stay on the table, our cars work and our computers turn on.

It's not until you digest something like this and the orbital mechanics used that it all comes into sharp relief. Yes, it's common-place for this particular field and gravity assists were used for all the major probes but that doesn't make it any less amazing for a lay-person like myself.

It's in these moments that we all get to see - if we care to look - just how sturdy this all is and how well it works.

I mean, every day of our lives (for almost everyone in developed nations) is accompanied by the practical effects of quantum physics in the form of the transistor but we give no through to it and get on with yelling at our computers when they crash.

This kind of thing is why I spoke about creationists discarding science as just based off assumptions and believe and dogma. The difference of course is that when our scientific knowledge is applied to real, physical applications, it bloody well works, and works bloody well!

3. Uffish

Hot under the collar

@Dan1980.

Creationists are of no interest to me.

I have visited a fair number of countries (including the USA), met Hindus, Animists, Buddhists, Jews, Christians, etc etc, lots of Seculars and never once a vocal Creationist. I think that there just aren't that many of them; and if there are a lot near you - move.

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Trollface

Test 1 - 2

Sorry, just testing the down vote button, no reason.

1. dan1980

Re: Test 1 - 2

So you're "Mr Ialways Downvotedan1980!"

(That was a good one - I laughed at that.)

4. Neoc
    Coat

"By August the comet will make its closest approach to the star, and cook Philae"

Does this mean we'll end up with Philae Mignon?

1. Mark 85

Re: "By August the comet will make its closest approach to the star, and cook Philae"

With a side order of Roasted Rosetta? And nice a chianti.

1. Robert Helpmann??
        Childcatcher

Re: "By August the comet will make its closest approach to the star, and cook Philae"

Comète en brochette avec atterrisseur brûlé... Mmm... tasty!

Thanks for covering this truly awesome event.

5. frank ly

re. " ... a human-made space lab ... "

Is there any other kind of space lab in our solar system? Do the Reg team know something we don't?

1. Neoc
      Black Helicopters

Re: re. " ... a human-made space lab ... "

Yes.

6. Neil Barnes Silver badge

So... Ice cream sundae

is on a Wednesday this year?

7. Snapshot

I thought it was Hot fudge sundae....

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Actually, I think you're right. It's a long time since I read it...

8. The last doughnut
    Pint

Just tremendous

That is all. Friday pints all round!

9. Jonathan Richards 1
    Boffin

How close is very close?

TFA said:

>By March 2015, the comet will come very close to the Sun and the lander will almost certainly perish from the heat.

Umm... the perihelion distance of 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko is 1.243 AU [1]... it won't get inside the orbit of the Earth. By my calculation, (inverse squares and all that), solar intensity at perihelion will be about 65% of what the ISS experiences during every sunlit part of its orbit. Did Rosetta and Philae have to be built for low temperatures further out, so they couldn't incorporate radiators?

[1] Source: ESA.int

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like