back to article Qik as mud: Skype adds self-destructing video messages years too late

Apps to record and share short video messages are ten a penny – and now Microsoft has thrown its hat into the ring with Qik, an app that came along with its Skype purchase. "A small team of Skype designers and developers recently took up the challenge to build a new app to run alongside Skype and provide an ongoing form of …

1. Bob Vistakin
    Linux

FTFY

"It would have been interesting to see how the internet had developed had Microsoft been quicker off the mark."

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So Skype paid £100 million for Qik 3 years ago and done nothing with it?

I wonder if the original creaters have stopped laughing yet.

3. 101
    Alert

Yipes! Who Skypes anymore?

Why would anyone do Skype anymore, it's owned by 5-eyes and corporate marketers?

Who wants to share your family business with them?

Folks should just wait until the replacement comes along that is locked down.

1. Gannettt

Re: Yipes! Who Skypes anymore?

Totally with you. Used to use Skype loads until the ads started appearing. Dropped it like a hot cake.

2. Jess

Re: Yipes! Who Skypes anymore?

I certainly don't anymore.

Not since they blocked connections from older clients, meaning the computer I would want to use is unable to.

And on all the new clients, it constantly shows people as online who aren't. They also have horrible interfaces, compared to the older versions.

So new it is unusable, and I have moved over to iChat (via gtalk) which works much better. (Family friends, and even a friend in a similar situation's family)

4. Kevin 6

"Users can also records five-second GIFs, dubbed Qik Flik, to use if they are offline as an answering service of sorts. But you can only use these on Android and iOS – apparently it's going to take a couple of months to get this sorted on Windows Phone."

I find that funny that they can make it easier for their competitions platforms then their own. That should maybe throw some red flags up at MS about their own mobile OS.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

1. VinceH
      Paris Hilton

Re: Whats all the fuss about?

"Did'nt Charley's Angels boss used to get that tape that self-destruct after listening?"

No. You're thinking of Mission: Impossible.

Charlie's Angels boss - i.e. Charlie - spoke to the Angels* (and Bozley) by phone (as a group, on loudspeaker).

* For old time's sake: *Drool*

Paris? She's no angel. Or Angel.

6. tony2heads
    WTF?

Qik not on windows phones??

Do I understand this correctly: Microsoft have Qik on most other smartphones but not windows phones.

Is there some problem with developing for a windows phone?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like