back to article World govts elect Swiss big cheese as their new ICANN point man

The world’s governments have selected Swiss civil servant Thomas Schneider to act as their chair inside key internet body ICANN. In a vote on Tuesday in Los Angeles, Schneider beat Lebanon representative Imad Hoballah by 61 votes to 37 to become chairman of the Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC). He will act as the frontman …

1. Donotunderstandwhatthismeans

Hi Kieren

Thank you for this cheesy article. As i am a strong defender of freedom of expression and information i will not comment on your selection of the attributes you give me. For the sake of factual information, i would just like to add, that i have been elected for the term starting AFTER the ICANN52 Meeting in Marrakech of mid February 2015. This is when the term of the current team ends. Tnx for noticing. T.

P.S.

You are right, I do own a Citroen DS, but actually, i like the SM and the CX (series1 of course) even better than the DS. I will send you a pic of them as soon as i will have finished restoration - which might take a little longer now than originally planned because of this election.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge
      Happy

@ Donotunderstandwhatthismeans

Your handle refers to the article, I hope.

ps.

Congratulations to Thomas Schneider!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Minority Report

Schneider told the assembled nations that he will focus on strengthening the existing internet governance bodies and will be open and inclusive, to the point of “supporting and strengthening minorities.”

It's not possible to "strengthen" minorities because they are, well, minorities.

What can be done is to cripple majorities, which I assume Schneider is actually planning to do. It's what control freaks always do, force everyone down to the same level, so it's "fair."

Those poor helpless minority types just can't get a fair shake without someone nice who tilts the playing field in their favour, and they certainly aren't capable of getting ahead on their own. They need HELP, preferably from enlightened-but-guilt-ridden white leftists (or those who wear the mask, anyway).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Minority Report

Did you mean to post that on the daily mail?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I couldn't agree more. Too many well meaning people who don't realize that all they are doing is weakening the gene pool by dumbing down the requirements. You will never get off welfare unless you can get a job that pays enough. Penalizing welfare clients for taking a job is foolish, preventing them from owning property like a house or a car is just damned stupid but that's the law.

We have seen what a "minority" quota system does here. It essentially becomes the no show job review. Anyone competent has to do twice the work as the "quota" only has to do with who gets hired, not with how much work gets done. Example: My ex had to do the work of two people in her job as a property manager for low income housing. The "receptionist" apparently was only good at painting her nails and calling her married boyfriend. The typing was "too hard" and "Messed up her nails".

Another example, one person was hired to do parole report typing from notes, another person was supposed to do the same thing but cover a different part of the alphabet. Too bad she came in drunk as a Lord every single day. The other person had to type all those reports too. Couldn't fire the drunk because she was related to the Sheriff.

When you make excuses for people's "inabilities" they don't have any incentive to grow beyond them. There are many "disabled" that don't want the label for that reason.

Overcompensation, however well meaning, is not helping.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Too many well meaning people who don't realize that all they are doing is weakening the gene pool by dumbing down the requirements. "

And too many of them show up on this board. I've noticed that many here will jump all over a report on government meddling, savagely badmouthing da Man, but if anyone dares to mention the damage done by government coddling, a similar number will hurl downvotes. Tad hypocritical, don't you think?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yes, quite hypocritical. It seems there are a lot of "dole riders" here that enjoy being coddled.

3. tom dial Silver badge

I almost stopped reading after the words "civil servant" in the first line. Out of a probably misplaced sense of duty or something like that I read the rest; it did not change my mind.

Nothing good seems at all likely to come out of this.

1. Yes Me Silver badge

Re: Nothing good seems at all likely...

Oh? So it's bad to have someone from a small neutral country with a competitive telco market and a long record in Internetery chairing the Government Advisory Cttee? Seems to me there would be many much worse choices, given that the GAC exists at all.

My own cheesy comment is that the GAC has, fortunately, had very little impact on ICANN one way or another, and long may this continue.

4. Benjol

Swissland is definitely a cheesy paradise, but http://www.distancefromto.net/between/Switzerland/Brie

5. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Mein Gouda! There are 450 varieties of Swiss chees yet you chose to concentrate too Mutschli on a generic Brie based pun! Swiss Brie perhaps but not 'generic' Brie as everyone knows that's French and too f****g runny ... This article should be subject to a complete 'generic' de-brie-fing. I'm so stressed it's like a Raclette in my head, and it's giving me Gruyere!

p.s. And when I said remove Brie references, Emmental of the ...

... sleep now ...

1. Alistair
      Coat

@Andy The Hat

I think your post will be staggeringly popular in this manor, squire.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like