back to article Don't wait for that big iPad, order a NEXUS 9 instead, industry little bird says

Google is planning to steal some of the thunder from Apple's October 16 event by quietly unveiling a new tablet running the next generation of its Android OS the day before, a report claims. Cupertino is widely expected to take wraps off its latest iPad on Thursday – which may or may not be a 12.9-inch "maxi" model that may or …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't wait for Apple's Maxi-Pad. No wait...

2. ThomH

I suspect Google will fail

"Google is planning to steal some of the thunder from Apple's October 16 event by quietly unveiling a new tablet running the next generation of its Android OS the day before"

Emphasis added; unveiling the day before Apple is not going to be quiet, no matter how modest.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I suspect Google will fail

Unlikely, android tablet marketsahre is what only apple can only dream of.

Higher specs, better screens, less restrictive os, and a cheaper rrp, as they don't need to bribe the press with luxurious lainches , lunches and free gifts.

1. Gordon 10

@AC Re: I suspect Google will fail

Oh dear god. Is that the best you can come up with?

Apple doesn't dream of market share - it dreams and realises Margin. Not that I'm a fan boi - just your fatuous comment was annoying.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: @AC I suspect Google will fail

Margin's all well and good, but you still need to shift units!

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

but you still need to shift units

Only as many as you build, which is why Apple makes the profits it does. It may trip up at some point (I think the IPhone 5c's may have gone for some early recycling) but its control of the supply chain is an example for others.

2. SuccessCase

"Margin's all well and good, but you still need to shift units!"

Which Apple do in huge volumes. Unprecedented on a model by model basis. However it's also worth noting that, no, you don't simply seek to shift units regardless of the margin. As margin goes down, risk increases and innovation reduces as you take less product risks. The usual dynamic which has pretty much this effect is profit remains static, volume goes up as a device category takes hold, but margin must then be decreasing, and business risk increasing. The net result is you end up with a worse business than two years ago when you had half the volume. This is in fact happening to Samsung at the moment (whilst also they are shifting fewer units). They have other business interests to help offset their problems but the mobile handset market has been such a massive chunk of their revenues, it can't be entirely offset. Apple have always recognised the trap this represents and the result is they focus on the high end, maintain margin, and remain the most valuable company in the world. But this is also why they need to ensure their recent glitches with software updates are not repeated. They have had some real glitches over and above the usual level of anti-Apple nonsense and that will be very damaging for them if they allow it to continue (indeed it will have been already). A high-end brand has to offer high-end quality.

For the converse, just look at what happened to manufacturers in the netbook market.

1. Dr. Mouse

I remember a game we played in business studies:

We divided into teams. Every team made widgets, costing £x to build. We could sell for anywhere up to £y, and could build up to a maximum number.

The teacher had a set number she had to buy, and would buy the cheapest first. The way the numbers worked, she would have to buy at least one from every team. The objective was to make the most profit.

When we started, we all tried lots of different tactics, trying to judge what everyone else was doing to get the price and quantity right. It turned out the best thing to do was to charge the maximum and make very few. The customer would normally have to buy them all, and would always buy at least one, which was enough to cover production costs.

The idea of the game was to teach about profit. It doesn't matter how many you sell, what your top line was, profit was what you needed.

3. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Blimey! It was just an observation that margin alone != profit.

4. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Turnover is vanity - profit is sanity.

2. Mark .

No one cares about what Apple dreams of. Unless you're an employee or shareholder. As a consumer, I care about the things that the AC above listed.

And it was the OP who claimed Google would fail. Google *do* care about market share - unlike Apple who by your own admission only care about profit margins, Google care about getting as many people accessing the Internet as possible (since they make money through ads), with the side-benefit of having more people using Google services. They are not failing.

2. ThomH

Re: I suspect Google will fail (@AC)

You think it's unlikely that any launch by Google will end up being noisy regardless of Google's intentions... because they have really big market share?

Oh, and apparently the majority of voters agree with you.

3. phil dude
    Pint

jolla...

jolla ported sailfish to other nexus's , so this might be a good thing.

P.

4. Khaptain Silver badge

L stands for ?

Licentious

1. Anomalous Cowshed

Re: L stands for ?

Lemon sherbet?

1. dogged

Lozenge.

1. Danny 4

"Lozenge."

Loxley Lozenge.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Lemon?

... think about it.

2. Richard Ball

Lollipop

1. Captain DaFt

>Sees everyone watching... waiting...<

Oh all right, I'll say it!

Lemon Curry?

1. g e

Licorice

1. FartingHippo
            Headmaster

Licorice

I sincerely hope not. Forums will be choked with reams of pointless wittering on whether it's licor-ISH or licor-ISS.

The former is clearly correct and anyone who says otherwise is a moron. [See! It's happening already!!]

1. Alister
              Headmaster

Re: Licorice

I sincerely hope not. Forums will be choked with reams of pointless wittering on whether it's licor-ISH or licor-ISS.

Bah, you can't even spell it correctly, it's Liquorice.

5. BongoJoe

I've jumped the gun and got the Hudl 2 and am right impressed with it.

Yes, Tesco ads on one 'screen' but I can live with that as the screen is far superior to the Nexus 7s here (both MkI and II).

1. Mr_Souter

the screen is not far superior to the nexus 7 - it is not as bright, the viewing angles and colour saturation are not as good. the hudl2 is also slightly sluggish. games that are slow on the nexus 7 2013, are practically unplayable on the hudl2. however the sound is a LOT better on the hudl2, and the screen size is great (for those of us that have failing eyesight, and large fingers)

6. Crazy Operations Guy

The timing isn't going to affect much

Anyone that was going to buy and iPad will buy the new iPad anyway and anyone that was going to buy the Nexus will buy a Nexus.

The only thing that will be affected will be all the release dates on articles praising/trashing each tablet, and even then, those have already been written.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The timing isn't going to affect much

I want a large tablet. I've been buying both Apple and Android devices since they first came to market a good few years ago now.

I will purchase one large tablet a couple of months after they are on general sale but right now I have no clue which one it will be.

I'll buy the device which offers the best value for money based on power/performance/price and ease of use for moving files around.

I don't care which brand or OS it runs. I currently have an ipad air which is ok, so long as I can run Kindle, Pressdisplay and a couple of other apps which are widely available on both systems I'm good.

1. Hero Protagonist

Re: The timing isn't going to affect much

> I want a large tablet

Like the 12.2" Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro I'm using to read this article?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

64 bit ARM CPU in a tablet?

Welcome to 2013 Android owners.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 64 bit ARM CPU in a tablet?

and away to leverage that performance boost in an apple device ? None

go back into your corner and play with you half eaten fruit....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

2Gb memory in a tablet?

Welcome to 2013 Apple owners.

3. P0l0nium

Welcome to 2007 ... Apple Fanbois

http://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/_migrated/pics/lenovo_thinkpad_4_03.jpg

4. Tom 38
      Joke

Welcome to 2013 Android owners.

Think it will be a damn sight more than 2,013 tbh.

8. Steve Evans

"What's more, it is claimed, both versions will have expandable memory"

That I seriously doubt...

Which really knocks the credibility of the whole piece.

9. Snowy Silver badge

None have expandable memory

If anything is expandable it is the storage space. When you computer has a 1 TB Hard drive you do not say it has 1 TB of memory but 1 TB of storage, so why does this get mixed up with Tablets and phones?

1. Dr. Mouse

Re: None have expandable memory

So true! That really bugs me too!

Especially when non-tech publications will say it has 16GB memory in one section (meaning storage), then 1GB memory in another (meaning RAM).

10. IHateWearingATie
    Thumb Up

"true dat"

I agree - Satan's balls will have dropped off due to frostbite before Google allows a micro sd slot in one of their nexus devices.

On a side note I really like el reg but your Android app that I'm trying to post this from is one of the most buggy pieces of crap I've ever had the misfortune to use. And I used the early versions of itunes on Windows.

1. Tinker Tailor Soldier

Re: "true dat"

I suspect that as soon as the FAT32 patent expires, meaning that having removable storage doesn't come with a hefty Redmond tax, Google will be just fine with a micro sd slot.

1. WonkoTheSane
        Black Helicopters

"Google will be just fine with a micro sd slot."

Unlikely. Google want you to upload everything to their cloud, so they (and NSA etc) can scrape your data.

1. Tinker Tailor Soldier
          Meh

There is probably some truth to the fact that Google sees the world through cloud covered glasses. But, in general, Android itself doesn't encourage or discourage sd cards, it's just the Nexus line.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Intel CPU

Sounds like an Intel CPU, if it really is dual core. The 64 bit ARM SoCs that I'm aware of being worked by Qualcomm and friends are 1) not quite ready yet and 2) quad core.

If it is a dual core ARM, I look forward to the backpedaling by those who have spent the last few years claiming Apple is behind having only two cores.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: Intel CPU

An Intel CPU with an Nvidia GPU?

A lot of these rumoured features and specifications are pretty suspect. I suppose we'll see soon enough.

2. P0l0nium

Re: Intel CPU

Its likely to be an Nvidia Denver SOC (64 bit dual core) .

Intel's 64 bit dual core SOC (Merrifield) wouldn't make this a "standout device" but it WOULD be cheap.

12. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Curious

A screen dimension of 2048x1440 pixels is very strange.

1. gotes

Re: Curious

Yes, I was wondering if that was a mistake, or some new aspect ratio that's going to be all the rage for tablets. Are there any other devices with a 64:45 ratio?

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: Curious

And there we go, the official specs have been announced and it's a fairly standard 2048x1536.

13. Paul J Turner

Kitkats and Jelly Beans are not desserts

I think someone has been misled by the English term 'Sweets' meaning lollies (as we Aussies say).

When I was a kid we had 'Ice Cream Sandwich' lollies where the Ice Cream between the wafers was replaced with marshmallow, so that too can be a lolly.

So I guess 'Liquorice' or 'Lolly'. If it has to be a dessert, I guess 'Lemon Meringue', because that's my favourite :-)

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Re: Kitkats and Jelly Beans are not desserts

Liqourice Allsorts would seem to fit the bill. Can't wait to see Bertie Bassett on the first page...

2. Tom 38

Re: Kitkats and Jelly Beans are not desserts

Desserts are anything that you eat after you've eaten your main meal, at the same table. If you eat liquorice after a meal, it's a dessert. "Dessert" is derived from the french meaning "clear the table" (or the opposite of "serve the table").

I'm hoping for Android Lardy Cake

14. joed

or just save your $s

you'll not miss out much on either

15. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Rumours about rumours

Journalism at its best!

16. Frankee Llonnygog

So

Don't wait a day for that thing you will be able to order but jump the gun and pre-order the thing that isn't available to order. Makes perfect sense!

17. Unicornpiss
    Pint

Good budget tablet

I don't work for Asus, but anyone looking for a good budget tablet should look at Asus' stuff: quad-core Intel processors, A gig of RAM, and a SD card slot rendering onboard storage mostly irrelevant. The cheaper 7" ones can be had for as little as $99 with KitKat 4.4, if you can forego cellular connectivity and GPS. They seem very well built too and have decent battery life. The only caveat is the speakers aren't that great. I don't know why anyone would spend $$$ for an iPad and have to suffer iTunes, no card slot, no file system access, etc.

1. Dr. Mouse

Re: Good budget tablet

My wife and I have the Tegra Note 7.

Brilliant bit of kit. OK, not much is "the best", but it does everything I need well. The stylus is really useful, the front speakers do a much better job than most for music, and it cost ITRO £130.

18. CmdrX3

It will never work

Competing with Apple on publicity or trying to steal their launch thunder never works very well, in fact it usually only hurts more because most media eyes aren't waiting for the next big thing from Google or Samsung, so they may release it and they may get a mention, even a fairly big mention, but as soon as Apple do their launch the Google and Samsung stuff is quickly forgotten, even their tablets are usually called iPads by the less technically minded. I often get asked by my wife if she can borrow my iPad, no matter how many times I tell her it's not an iPad.

19. Roadkill
    FAIL

What a disappointment

Okay, so now the Nexus 9 has been launched. The specs do *not* include 3 GB of RAM (it's only 2) nor the rumored MicroSD slot.

I guess the latter is no surprise, given that this is Google, but seriously now—it's basically 2015 and Google is pushing a $400 tablet that has only 16 GB of storage and the RAM allocation of 2012's Nexus 10. WTF?

Checking my Nexus 5 right now, I see I'm currently actively using 1.3 GB RAM out of the 2 GB. I want a Nexus tablet that is more capable than my phone, as I expect it to require more RAM for more on-screen assets. Unfortunately, Samsung's wares are right out as they have an evil policy about voiding the hardware warranty if the bootloader is ever unlocked.

I guess I will just have to keep on lagging, stuttering, and jerking my way around apps on my Nexus 7 until a viable 64-bit Android tablet is shipped.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like