back to article Swiss wildlife park serves up furry residents to visitors

A wildlife animal park in Switzerland has hit upon a novel idea to ensure its restaurants don’t run out of food, by serving up meat from some of the exhibits. The Langenberg, nestled to the west of Lake Zurich, houses brown bears, wolves, elk, wild boar and other beasties, but as well as gawping at their majesty, visitors can …

1. Vociferous

Good.

We need to start pushing back against the animal rights movement. The irrational insanity over the euthanized Danish giraffe should be a wake-up call to everyone to realize how removed from reality many in the west have become.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Good.

Yes I too have shot Bambi and her wild boar friends and enjoyed a succulent feast afterwards.

This is all part of a regulated cull in forest management over in Lower Saxony.

Some of the meat is taken home, the rest sold. Even better during the Schützenfest the boar is slow roasted over an open fire and eaten with copius amounts of beer.

es hat mir sehr gut geschmeckt

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ah, now I'm hungry. You remind me that it is Wildsaison and I have not yet eaten Wild this year and then comes Metzgete.

2. EddieD

The kids in schools around Inverness munch on venison quite a lot - the deer are going to be culled, and the meat is lower in fat and higher in iron than beef, and a lot, lot cheaper, so bring it on.

There has to be an distinction between the various animal rights activists - some point out bad practice and cruelty, and others are idiots.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

"restrictions should be slapped on the numbers of births in the park."

What should they do then ?

Have some guy walk around the park all day and night handing out condoms ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "restrictions should be slapped on the numbers of births in the park."

I was wondering that too. I would have thought that it was a bit dicey trying to get a condom on a bear at the appropriate time (and you'd have to do it for them...no opposable thumbs + big claws so self-service isn't really an option).

El Reg should follow up on this and give Ruth Widmer a call asking for suggestions for how to implement the idea. I bet the answer would be something along the lines of "That's your problem, I just set policy" or some other -heh- buck passing.

2. Suricou Raven

Just give her the huge syringe with a contraceptive implant and point her towards the bears.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Why the bears?

Ask her to perform the same operation on a doormouse. The doormouse _MUST_ remain _ALIVE_.

Then ask her to do it repeatedly 200+ times.

Then ask her if that was a good idea.

3. peyton?

Actually, they can give many animals birth control medications (in the case of primates the same medications as a matter of fact).

So frequently, there are alternatives.

4. Joe User

By posting "No Shagging Zone" signs.

1. Fungus Bob

"What should they do then ?

Have some guy walk around the park all day and night handing out condoms ?"

The police need to hand out porking tickets...

3. Mark Allen

Bambi Stew

We should certainly be eating more venison. The animal is a pest as they breed so many in the wild. No predators. It makes a lot of sense to sling them in the pot. Such a healthy meat too. (I made a big pot of Bambi Stew last weekend... yum!)

It sounds very sensible that this zoo makes good use of their excess animals. I bet there are just as many mice being breed on site that are fed to the snakes.

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Re: Bambi Stew

My uncle is a farmer, the deer in his part of the world are out of control. I don't know the loses from deer eating his crops, but does get some return as he gets his quota of deer every year for every family member. I've had some excellent deer sausage at his place.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Bambi Stew

Dear (oops deer) sausages? Cost of living - how about some cheap venison sausages?

4. Chris Miller

If you keep animals in a park environment, protected from natural predators (where they still exist), you need to cull a few percent a year to maintain a healthy population. If the animals are edible, it would be a terrible waste not to eat them.

5. sandman

Tasty

Ah - here we have a difference between wildlife experts and animal lovers. Actually you can give some animals long term contraceptives, but then you have to catch them first, which doesn't do much for their stress levels. If you leave them you'll get all the problems associated with habitat loss and overcrowding.

Culling is a good solution - as long as it's done humanely and let's face it, venison and wild boar are very tasty. Saying which, it's Woodpigeon breasts for dinner tonight :-)

6. Neil Barnes Silver badge

One wonders

if Frau Widmer eats beef, pork, or chicken? Or indeed, has declined to breed?

7. Blofeld's Cat
    Go

Many years ago...

I used to have a T shirt with the slogan:

"Watership Down: You've read the book, you've seen the film, now try the pie."

8. Khaptain Silver badge

Key Words, Natural Cycle

This park is doing the right thing, as long as it is not done for profit.

Just as man has done for the last 250 000 years, I hunt. Recently I was lucky enough to have reloaded my own bullets, stalked, killed, skinned, gutted, butchered, cooked, served and then enjoyed eating some deer.

When you go through all of these steps you are reminded at every stage about where meat really comes from. The brutal facts exist, if you eat meat, then you have directly or indirectly induced the death of an animal.. Many people seem to forget or push to the back of their minds this fact...

When you kill and eat an animal you gain far more respect for animals than most people would like to believe.

I doubt very much that man would have survived if he had not been a meat eater.

By the way calling a deer, "Bambi" is a tactic in order to induce sympathy.. Dead Bambi would taste just the same as dead deer. Would it please the Defend the Animals crowd if we gave lettuce and tomatoes names too ?

1. Anomalous Cowshed

Re: Key Words, Natural Cycle

Well, there are some among the more extreme vegan sects who would take offence to you doing all the dastardly things you've described...to a tomato or a lettuce in its prime.

We'll have none of your genocidal picking, harvesting and other barbaric practices.

Only fruits and vegetables which have already died a natural death may be eaten.

I say - show some respect to Tommy Tomato and Lisa Lettuce.

2. Thorne

"By the way calling a deer, "Bambi" is a tactic in order to induce sympathy"

Not to me. Makes it sound more tasty........

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Holmes

Care to explain why it should not be done for profit?

Profit can be recycled. This is good.

Also...

"I am shocked"

Liberal guilt: Like a permanent concentration camp fence.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

>Care to explain why it should not be done for profit?

As soon as financial gain becomes the primary goal the standards usually go down. Intially standards might go up but that usually doesn't last long.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I was lucky enough to have reloaded my own bullets,"

Umm, rich bastard - most of us do not have a loader. Anyway, re-usable bullets - that's ecological.

Fascinated that using bullets is hunting as man has for thousands of years. Gives me a new perspecitve on our forefathers up to about the 15th century. So life was not as tough. I suppose they had decent waterproofs too.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

>Fascinated that using bullets is hunting as man has for thousands of years. Gives me a new perspecitve on our forefathers up to about the 15th century. So life was not as tough. I suppose they had decent waterproofs too.

Let me have a think about that, this will be my poor attempt at justification.

Man once used his hands, got bitten and probably eaten - Darwins law is progress here.

Man found that throwing stones was better but still not effective enough - the mass was there but not speed, oh shit here comes Darwin again.

Man realised that using a sling improved the speed of the small stones at least - but they lacked knock down power. ( Knock knock, hello Mr Darwin its you again)

Man had fire but didn't yet know how to mix it with stones.

Skip forward a few 100 thousand years.

Man then goes through a long slow period of learning/creating bows and arrows, crossbows ( small projectiles on a stick), catapults/trebuchets ( slow large projectiles ), maces and clubs etc.

Et voila , the miracle "gunpowder" arrives, now we could mix fire, small projectiles and develop enough energy to knock down, ie kill, living things.

The progression has always been comprised of small projectiles being thrown at increasinlgy higher speed an developing increasing amounts of energy (Joules).

But even today I still have to go out in the cold and rain, often returning empty handed, require the patience of a sloth, and when possible manage to cleanly hit a running, jumping small framed 20 kg Roe deer whilst it darts between the trees and bushes and all within a 3 second time frame. That part has never changed.

Most importantly though, it gets me away from the screen for a couple of hours on the weekends, which is never a bad thing.

9. John Styles

Reminds me...

... many years ago a friend of mine was living in a single room in a shared house. Someone gave him a rabbit that had been sprung from an animal lab. Unfortunately the rabbit used to keep him awake at night by running round his room, so he gave it to the local wildlife centre.

It turned out that the local wildlife centre was feeding rabbits it was given to the other animals. Or, as my friend put it, 'Wilfred was eaten by the weasels'

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Reminds me...

Someone gave him a rabbit that had been sprung from an animal lab

"Enjoy your Ebola."

The great thing is that these wildlife springers are exactly the people that complain that ultra-cheap safe drugs are not being dropped en masse on outbreak areas, probably because "no profits in this".

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've been to Switzerland

It must be nice to have a choice of avoiding melted cheese. Swiss cuisine makes 20th century British look cosmopolitan. Perhaps this'll reduce their suicide rate! Be interesting to see what the consequence of a Swiss population explosion is as the locals flock to the zoos.

I would say, in response to the overwhelmingly anti-animal lover response, though, that the same arguments apply to long pig. Otherwise, as anti-animal rights arguments are more-often-than-not, it's speciesism, one of the few remaining prejudices. And, after all, they do have Dignitas and surely not everyone who goes there has the kind of illness that makes them inedible (I mean, not like, say, a gammy leg).

1. dogged
      Stop

Re: I've been to Switzerland

Prions.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I live in Switzerland. I do not know where you were; but every town of any size has at least as good a range of food as most of, for example, Britain. Of course, the coffee and wine tend to be better here. It can, in fact, be hard to find traditional Swiss food.

I do not know the figures: but I do not believe the suicide rate is that much higher. It is likely to be higher because more households here have got easy access to guns (military service), which is a known correlating factor.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I do not believe that there is any relation whatsoever between firearms and suicide.

Suicide is more generally related to social/personal problems. This is actually a very important statement within the given context.

The Swiss in general do not like to publish anything negative about their country, they prefer to not discuss their internal problems - they like to keep things secret ( they don't like to speak about their drug problems/addicts either but they do have them too).

It's a great country when you have money, it is depressing/lonely when you don't. There are now over 500 000 millionaires ( a lot of expats !!!!!!!!), from a population of 8 Million, to help remind you every day that you are not one of them.. Social pressures are huge.... go figure about suicide..

11. Spiracle

The last time that I went to 'The Deep' in Hull I had cod and chips in the cafe.

12. Squeezer

When our kids used to take packed lunches to (junior) school venison sarnies (much cheaper than beef!) were one of their favourites, not just because they were yummy but because when somebody asked them what their lunch was they could answer "Bambi".

Or even better, "Bambi's mum" -- cue squeals of horror from kids who think meat comes in plastic trays from the supermarket...

13. coderguy

It's common sense.

I've been to the park in question, yesterday in fact. The deer are all over the place, what better use for the things can you think of? Hunting is not feasible, it's in a highly populated area.

Besides, Deer is great, almost as good as Horse.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: It's common sense.

I like both, it all depends on the cooking and the sauce, if any..

As for the deer....It's hard to beat a piece of backstrap cooked to perfection. Simple recipe as follows.

Medium to high heat oil in a frying pan.

Place backstrap steaks in oil - 2 minutes on each side - just leave them to cook on their own

Remove, put on plate, cover with foil for 10 mins.

Return to frying pan, but butter this time and a little fresh parsley. ( about a minute per side - basting with the butter).

Some lightly boiled, slightly salted carrots on the side.

Red wine of course, venison is usually too strong for white, difficult to advise but you can't go wrong with a Cote Rotie. ( Condrieu is just south of Lyon, it's worth dropping in for a bottle of two - maturity after the 5 year mark).

Just delicious....

2. John McCallum

Never tried Horse(meat) but I have Venison Yummmm

1. JetSetJim

Not eaten anything from Findus, then?

Have had horse a long time ago in France - can't remember it, though. Had zebra in Kenya (Carnivore restaurant) and it didn't seem that tasty. Eland was nicer.

14. Lapun Mankimasta

I'm irresistibly reminded of someone I once knew whose name was an acronym for Soup: he never forgave me for reminding him of it. Voila!

http://www.cartoonistgroup.com/store/add.php?iid=26906

"A magical Wasilla evening after the post-prom MOOSE SHOOT with Sarah Palin. The loons, Sarah! Can you hear the loons?"

Then there was the photo-opportunity of him and Sarah Palin about to chow down on a tourist they had downed with bow and arrow ... but I'm afraid I don't have that cartoon strip any longer.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like