back to article Julian Assange discovers Google's given MONEY to EFF

Silicon Valley’s biggest companies are an essential part of both the US state’s data-processing operation and a barely controllable element in American foreign policy, says WikiLeaks fugitive Julian Assange in his latest interview. Talking to Pando Daily (from the Ecuadorian embassy in London), Assange dubs Google, Facebook …

1. FartingHippo
    Windows

Cabin Fever

He's going slowly bonkers, isn't he. Howard Hughs meets tramp-on-a-park-bench.

1. Vociferous

Re: Cabin Fever

He's always been this way.

Read the New York Times account of when they tried to cooperate with him to publish leaks.

2. Bob Wheeler
    Meh

"says Assange. “... They don’t like to bite the hand that feeds them.”

So what has Assange got against El Reg?

3. Jeff Green

Speaking as an individual, and one not funded by Google or anyone else apart from by working 40 hours a week ...

The European Court judgement was silly, very silly, but nothing like as bad as it was painted. It has the same background in silliness as many other rulings from courts all over the world, it attempts to impose local rules on non-local companies.

Like it or not US and European understanding of privacy and free speech are different, from a US viewpoint telling someone they cannot tell the truth just because it embarrasses another individual makes no sense, From a traditional European view the reverse is equally silly. It is not possible for Google or any other company to be right here.

As it happens European media bodies, entirely separately from Google dislike this ruling, it makes it harder to find prurient stories, so they have painted the ruling as something it is not in order to make it seem ridiculous. On the other hand super-injunctions ARE ridiculous and equally doomed to fail. We live in a world where searching for things is easier than ever before, and that is nearly always a good thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Assume you're a teacher.

One day you give a kid detention for beating up their classmate.

The next day you have a false accusation made against you.

You spend six months on suspension while it's investigated and goes to the court, who find you completely innocent and cannot fathom why the case was brought in the first place.

You go to your next job as a teacher, that nobody would give you because of the ongoing investigations.

They have Googled around, dug up Facebook posts of mums from your old school claiming you're something that you're now (legally) proven not to be.

Your life is still over.

It's not as simple as "everything must stay on the Internet once it's there", neither is it as simple as "let's delete everything". As always, there should be court oversight and it should require a court-order in order to make Google do something. The number of people willing to waste the court's time would be minimal. The number of people who will just ask Google to remove that embarrassing drunk photo will be in the millions.

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Oddly enough, that exact scenario is dealt with by law already. It's the end of the day so I can't be bothered searching for the exact act and section, but teachers are entitled to automatic anonymity in respect of complaints made by school pupils - up to the point where the police persuade the CPS to make a formal charge.

Not much of a protection against false allegations (the police aren't interested in the truth, only probability of conviction) but it strikes the right balance between protection against immature children and open justice.

1. Mark 65

The teacher was just an example. It doesn't have to be a teacher though does it, it could be a banker wrongly accused of fraud and, let's face it, you're not going to go out of your way to defend them but their livelihood could be laid to waste. It could be any type of wrongful accusation: rape, assault, domestic abuse, whatever. The person isn't important, the principle is.

On the OPs original point of

"The European Court judgement was silly, very silly, but nothing like as bad as it was painted. It has the same background in silliness as many other rulings from courts all over the world, it attempts to impose local rules on non-local companies."

I think you'll find Google is a local company (or rather has a local legal entity or two in Europe to avoid tax through) else they'd tell them to piss off.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm saying nothing

no comment here at all

5. Hoe

Not Surprised.

Typical of the world we live in today I am afriad.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google isn't the problem, it's just a symptom

Google's current business model depends upon its gathering massive amounts of metadata about everyone on the Internet. Sort of like the NSA. But that data gathering isn't the problem. The problem is that it is totally unregulated, particularly with respect to its impact of user privacy. The "right to forget" rule in Europe is a good first step, but what we really need is a more comprehensive regulatory environment that puts privacy and personal security first. Those regulations should apply both to private business and government, be incorporated into a treaty, and given some real teeth -- including a "private attorney general" provision that allows people to bring a private suit to enforce its provisions against anyone in violation. A freewheeling Internet worked as long as big power players in government and the private sector didn't have the kind of influence they now do. But we're now close to losing our freedom, and it's time to push back -- hard -- and force those who want to dominate it, and us, to back off.

1. Jeff Green

Re: Google isn't the problem, it's just a symptom

In what way would appointing a regulator be pushing back? Who would appoint him if not someone related to a government or three? That apart is the right to be forgotten really a good thing? I am prepared to bet that the Jimmy Savilles and Rolf Harrises of this world would think so.

Sometimes shining a light onto people's past is a great idea and sometimes it isn't. All we need os someone who knows which is which.

7. PleebSmash

Ouch! Criticism rejected!

Assange may have waffled on the EFF example, but he has a book and specific claims about Google and Eric Schmidt that can be scrutinized. The tone of this article is a little much.

8. AlexS
    Big Brother

Wow my comment being moderated - a conspiracy!

9. ItsNotMe
    Devil

Huh?

Who's this Julian Sausage guy? Never heard of him.

10. Vociferous

Julian is and has always been a conspiracy nut and sociopath.

He's single-handedly destroyed Wikileaks. He's also completely lacking in self-insight, which in turn makes him blind to irony. My favorit is still when the Leaker In Chief refused New York Times request to redact the names of Afghan nationals who had cooperated with the US, with the motivation that "they're informants, they deserve whatever they get".

11. Sanctimonious Prick
    Coat

I Like Assange

And being holed up like that would probably send a lot of people bonkers.

However, I get a little defensive when just Google is criticised/sued for doing what almost every other search engine does.

Please, let us not forget where Google came from, and how it got to where it is - you, me, the Internet People flocked to Google because it gives us everything we want, and does so very very quickly. We also signed up for many of their services and ticked the 'I accept' box in regards to their terms and conditions.

..damn, where am i going with this...?

Google got to where they are because we supported every new innovation/service they let us use, and in return we give Google info. about ourselves...

blah, blah, blah - geez, i've really lost it now...

Right to be forgotten? Bullshit! Piss off! This is the Internet. I'd very much like that criminal conviction I have against me for carrying a screwdriver and a shifter deleted - apparently I was going to use them to break into a car (i was out looking for PC parts put out to be collected by the garbage collectors (my computer had recently been stolen during break and enter at my home))! The only stolen cars I know of are on the evening news. Now I'm finding it extremely difficult to get a job.

A bit of a fuzzed post, I know... but I've typed it now...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I Like Assange

Right to be forgotten? Bullshit! Piss off! This is the Internet.

Exactly.

And here's an easy way to avoid wanting "the Internet" to forget you in the first place: stay classy.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Soros funds many civil society groups who do not receive funding directly from Google, and Soros and Google representatives sit on the same boards where funding is from both e.g. The New America Foundation.

13. Psyx

Google funding EFF, eh. That'd be nearly as bad as Wikileaks paying for Assange's legal fees.

14. AbeSapian

Standard and Poors

This is not unlike S&P being paid (through consulting fees) to give good ratings to crap derivatives. There the effect was eventual economic collapse. Here it is privacy collapse.

15. AlexS
    Big Brother

Say "The Register" who runs...

Google analytics

Google tag services

Encourages us to follow them on Google+

Running 5 stories related to Google.

It's a conspiracy I tell ye!!!

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who's he fingering now?

Are we talking about the 6-fingered Assange, or the 5-fingered Assange? Just checking the photo matches the story.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like