back to article Russian hackers exploit 'Sandworm' bug 'to spy on NATO, EU PCs'

Russians hackers have exploited a zero-day vulnerability in Microsoft Windows to hijack and snoop on PCs and servers used by NATO and the European Union, says security biz iSight. The software flaw is present in desktop and server flavors of the Redmond operating system, from Vista and Server 2008 to current versions. No patch …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows XP is not affected

Wow, back to the future (xp) for me then.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

After Heartbleed...

...the worm is on the other foot?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I expect apologies from all of the people that commented along the lines of "HAH! Opensource sucks!" on Heart Bleed and Shell Shock threads. ;)

1. Adam Reid

Probably not as serious as shell shock, as this vulnerability requires user interaction, i.e. someone has to open a weaponized Powerpoint document.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not that it is difficult - just prepare the proper document for the target victim and you're pretty sure it will be opened and the user will click exactly where you like.

2. launcap Silver badge

> someone has to open a weaponized Powerpoint document

Not always - if you are using Outlook and have auto-preview on it can get opened automatically..

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Just unticked that box

Cheers

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"a weaponized Powerpoint document"

Yeah,that phrase caught my attention too. It just sounds sooooo wrong. On the other hand, many people who have sat through an average Powerpoint presentation might assume all PP documents are weaponised.

A QOTW candidate if ever there was one.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well this is a little different to those bugs, this requires user interaction to happen (like most of the bugs patched every month), the current incarnation is open a powerpoint document that's infected, but could be others too, just need to exploit the OLE bug. Whereas shell shock and heart bleed required the computer to be connected to the internet to be executed (like code red, blaster etc).

The name is a little miss-leading, that's the groups name, not the exploit, it isn't a worm, so no where near as bad as what they are.

1. Anonymous Bullard
        Facepalm

(You can trust the Microsoft crack team to come on here and play it down. You took your time)

Well this is a little different to those bugs, this requires user interaction to happen (like most of the bugs patched every month)

The thing about heartbleed and shellshock, they do require human interaction - ie, setting a fucking server up and opening your firewall. They don't just fall out of your arse.

However, this bug and the others that are, as you said, "like most of the bugs patched every month" just need two things: A windows user, and a standard computer.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

OK, so interaction for you means, you have to setup the system, not really sure what systems you run, but i agree, ones without an OS and running any services at all are more secure and do require human interaction to be compromised.

So not really sure how you would run a Apache, or DNS, or VPN server, without an OS, or applications or firewall opened for those services to be exposed.

You need more than 2 things (based on your definition of human interaction), You would have needed someone to have bought a computer, got an internet connection, connected it all up, bought project, installed it, disabled protected view, setup an email account and received a compromised powerpoint, or gone off looking for a powerpoint document that was compromised, and then opened it.

Where as with heartbleed / shellshock you would have had to bought/install the server, install and configure an application that uses OpenSSL/Bash for example apache or openVPN got yourself an internet connection, opened the firewall (which you would as that the point of it), now anybody on the internet could exploit it.

3. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Yeah, another gaping back door. But at least this one isn't at ground level - you need to bring a ladder.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Because this diminish the graviy of those vulnerabilities? And still shouldn't open source code have been reviewed by thousand of eyes to spot those vuilnerabilities earlier? Shouldn't have open source code "more secure" because of that? Of course this is closed source, thereby no one peer reviewed it, right?

Or after all the only real way to have secure code is to design it well, code it better and test it properly - open source or not?

1. Keith Langmead

"Because this diminish the graviy of those vulnerabilities? And still shouldn't open source code have been reviewed by thousand of eyes to spot those vuilnerabilities earlier? Shouldn't have open source code "more secure" because of that? Of course this is closed source, thereby no one peer reviewed it, right?"

That's a fair point, after all those thousand eyes helped with OpenSSL / Heartbleed! :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Thumb Up

That's a fair point, after all those thousand eyes helped with OpenSSL / Heartbleed! :-)

Correct, otherwise a less honest person would have discovered the bug. Instead, the bug was discovered using two of those "thousand eyes".

Take this "sandworm" as an example of how close-source bugs are usually found... which was originally discovered (and exploited) 6 years ago.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Because you know if someone discovered and used heartbleed before? It doesn't leave any trace on your server unlike something that needs to be run locally.

Bash bug has been there for how long? Twenty years? Are you sure it was never exploited? Securoty researchers will tell you, crooks don't.

1. Anonymous Bullard

Because you know if someone discovered and used heartbleed before?

No, no one can say for sure. But if they did, who knows how long they'd continue to abuse it if it wasn't found publicly.

I think the point is, if it wasn't for these so called "thousand eyes" the bugs might never have been exposed. OSS brings no guarantees, just a better possibility and better outcome.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why, when Windows users have had to put up with Open Sources rages and comments for years. Suck it up princess. All OS's have holes.

4. MacroRodent

Branding bugs

Seems it is obligatory these days to give major vulnerabilities cool logos.

The "XP not affected" bit was a let-down. Here I was thinking the major advantage of Vista and later was tightened security. Seems it was not.

5. Cheesenough

Re: Branding bugs

"XP not affected" is probably indicative that the target victims of the attack probably aren't using Windows XP any more. So it does beg the question, "Who are the 23% of Windows XP users?" in this article http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/03/microsofts_nightmare_deepens_windows_8_market_share_falling_fast/

Presumably they don't work for Ukrainian Government, NATO or Energy companies.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Or the few financial institutions still using Windows 2000 !!!!!!!!

2. MacroRodent
      Windows

"Who are the 23% of Windows XP users?"

My guess: unsophisticated home users whose existing computers work well enough so they don't feel the need (or cannot afford to) upgrade the hardware. The same people who could be seen running Windows 98 still in 2008...

3. John 156
      Holmes

"Who are the 23% of Windows XP users?"

Having met one and their laptop recently, I can affirm they are users of old kit who don't know the name of their operating system and delete any annoying messages that appear in the bottom right hand corner of their screens.

1. Andy The Hat Silver badge
        Thumb Down

""Who are the 23% of Windows XP users?"

Having met one and their laptop recently, I can affirm they are users of old kit who don't know the name of their operating system and delete any annoying messages that appear in the bottom right hand corner of their screens."

Or users who actually still have hardware that runs well, familiar software that runs well and is reliable such that the entire system does the job. Why throw even more cash at MicroSoft for a crap front end ... as well as the hardware to run it on!

Yes this is posted from win 7, yes I do also run 7(64) but yes, I still have three machines that run Xp *and do exactly what I want them to do*, so why upgrade them?

Don't for a minute believe all Xp users are numpties ... they may just be a bit fatter in the wallet.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Complexity to the point of no return

So an end user document can embed in itself some executable content that can trigger an installer? Who in Microsoft thought that it was a good idea? Never mind, they put ActiveX in the browser in the first place.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Complexity to the point of no return

Yep, ActiveX are legitimate payloads for Office OpenXML files (as are other files…)

Powerpoint is particularly weird as it relies on Excel for charting functionality. Nothing wrong with this per se (delegation avoids code duplication) but the way it does it is far from ideal as rather than using a component it uses OLE…

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Do you know that OLE is COM, and COM is "Component" Object Model? In this case Excel is exactly a "component" handled through COM interfaces and hosted in the application - in a language and application agnostic way. What is a "component", after all? Something you can embed and drive from another application? What is better, a standard, common API, or a dedicated private one?

Sure, MS could have made office application interop available only to its own applications through private dedicated APIs callable from VC++ only, and all of you would have cried about the "customer lock-in", "hidden private APIs", "unfair competition", "lack of interoperability", etc. etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

re: "Sure, MS could have made office application interop available only to its own applications through private dedicated APIs callable from VC++ only, and all of you would have cried about the "customer lock-in", "hidden private APIs", "unfair competition", "lack of interoperability", etc. etc."

Or they could have split the code out into a DLL (I hear they do that in Windows) and call it from wherever.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

And it wouldn't be usable from any language unable to call DLL functions and use pointers. Do you know why COM was designed that way?

Anyway a COM server is just an executable or DLL - just with special support for COM interfaces and instantiation.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Honestly, no I didn't. I never wrote programs for computers that you could move without a forklift.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Do you know that OLE is COM, and COM is "Component" Object Model?

Yes, I know what both the acronyms are and despise them both. I won't dispute that they have utility (in the absence of a proper component model) but this should really be API calls and not executable embedding which is the security risk. OpenOffice for one has a much cleaner implementation of the underlying principles.

2. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

"Who in Microsoft thought that it was a good idea?"

And who thought it was a good thing to launch bash when invoking one program from another?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Trollface

And who thought it was a good thing to launch bash when invoking one program from another?

Uhh.... your levels of abstraction are weak.

bash is another program. Welcome to the Universal Turing Machine.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Exactly. The issue are some developers who believes they need a shell - and program more - just to execute some command line utilities from an application, when often there's really no need for it - you can run them without a shell and just redirect I/O.

But using system() or its equivalents is a quick and lazy way to perform that, so why not use it? It's their level of abstraction that is weak - they really don't understand what a shell is and a command line program is.

1. eulampios

@LDS

>>But using system() or its equivalents is a quick and lazy way to perform that..

Dirty and lazy -correct. Still not really a problem if you have system() in your CGI.pm script, for example. The problem is though when you accept any input without disarming it while passing it to the system() operator or a certain pipe could have been dangerous with the shell shock vulnerability . However, taking an uncontrolled input is madness already whatever the language it is, using any shell in cgi raises all this stupidity to the second power.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

According to this [isightpartners.com] this was being exploited since 2009.

8. chivo243 Silver badge
    Joke

Love the Dune reference. I'll let the 8 windows users on the network know that Powerpoint will be uninstalled during the next round of updates!

Pint

I think CHOAM may have a word to say about that, unless you have serious support from the rather foppish and ineffectual Landsraad.

9. Peter Simpson 1
    Black Helicopters

Excuse me for asking...

...but isn't this just the kind of thing NSA should be protecting us (well, at least the US military/defense establishment) against?

You know, instead of working so hard to read every email/phone call/web posting sent by every American?

No? Oh well, carry on.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

10. CHARL13

The Hype is Strong in This One

Can anyone spell “blow your own trumpet”?

A vulnerability has been discovered, good work chaps. But really? Sysadmins roll out remote code execution patches every month and not just for Microsoft products (*cough* Adobe *cough*) without getting in a tis.

The only reason there is an article about this one is that it was used against a high value target, a private company found it, they gave it a name, slapped a logo on it and cranked the hype machine up to max in a bit to gain sales/notoriety.

So “massive” is this vulnerability that Microsoft decided not to publish an out of cycle patch, but to roll it out in with todays Patch Tuesday. Whys is that do you think?

It’s a lot of work to come away with nothing more than the summit lunch menu.

1. Keith Langmead

Re: The Hype is Strong in This One

Quite. I saw the title and started thinking "bugger, have to patch servers", then saw references to OLE and suspected where this was going, and finally got to the PowerPoint bit and realised "oh, fuss over nothing then, patches needed for clients, but funnily enough the servers don't run PowerPoint!".

My one real complaint about this... why link to a wikipedia article explaining Shai-Hulud and not link to the CVE article!

Trollface

but funnily enough the servers don't run PowerPoint

I can tell you a story about what I saw on Teamviewer the last time I opened the Forbidden Doors of the Control Room...

1. Alistair
          Windows

Ayyyyyyyyyup. That teamviewer there. yupyup.

/unlocks the gun cabinet under the desk.

(grumpy old sysadmin)

11. silent_count

"Weaponized Powerpoint"

Am I the only one picturing...

"No. No, Ahmed. No more bomb belts or explosives in cars for us. From now on we will be using weaponized powerpoint. It's pie charts and meaningless graphs will bore the yankee, imperialist scum into submission. Ha har!"

Ok. Maybe it was just me.

1. Anonymous Bullard
      Coat

Re: "Weaponized Powerpoint"

Death by Powerpoint!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like