back to article €2 BILLION: Steelie Neelie wants US to pay for her Big Data splurge

Knowledge is power. That’s the message from Steelie Neelie as the EU Commission throws half a billion at “big data”. Digital Agenda Commissioner Neelie Kroes announced the EC would contribute €500m to a €2.5bn scheme to leverage the power of big data. The rest will come from industry. According to the Commission, mastering …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

The definition of "servility"

Probably has something to do with getting the inmates to pay for their confinement!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not the best of analogies

"...big data without a digital single market was like a “human body without arms or legs”"

Intended to convey how pointless collection of big data would be without a digital single market, but I bet there are plenty of humans who would take issue with the implication that not having arms and legs makes them pointless.

3. Only me!
    Meh

How can I opt out?

Big data ok, climate change weather patterns.....

But not my personal data,

4. Gordon 10
    Stop

In other words

Its OK to do a data landgrab coz we aren't those nasty Americans - honest.

Do these fuckwads really not get it?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Huh?

If the corporations see 5+% improved productivity then the id10ts that supposedly run them will invest accordingly without a financial incentive. Or rather shortly some other tool will be put in charge. If they were really concerned, the best avenue is to invest in scholarships targeting the subject matter. I was doing big data when it involved a forklift load of punchcards, I kid you not, and to be an actual practitioner requires raiding all the other departments to get the when, where, how, and why which mathematical/statistical and especially experimental design go in. (It's even more fun to program them to create all of this.)

I've yet to see all the coursework packaged up but without candidates, throwing millions at industry isn't going to achieve much.

6. Old Handle
    Facepalm

Wait, why does she want my country to... oh.

I was briefly confused until I realized that was a just shouty "us" not "U.S."

1. Ole Juul

Re: Wait, why does she want my country to... oh.

Bad typography.

7. M7S
    Big Brother

100,000 new data-related jobs

Is that the estimate for all the government staff and commerical contractors acting on their behalf who will be sifting our browsing habits, comms traffic, social media postings etc in order to "protect the public from [latest thing]"?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just for big guys?

I have little hope that small players/startups could have access to that nice millions...but Europe can have good alternatives to the american offers. And with lower operation costs, like installing the datacenters in Scandinavia or in the Baltic. The Baltic countries are a good place since they can buy cheap electricity from Ukraine and help the later strengh their economy.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon